Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

STOOGES Albums TOP 5

Go down 
+27
dorianmode
elvis plebsley
Luzern
jpod
soldier
the science eel
Big Time Bum
nofun84
Paul T
TED
JW82
Loose1969
Lucas
Donald
pernil
Nadja
Borntohula
MJG196
sheddy
Muddslide
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
mc
Gimme some skin
Chemmy
Shakes
homesickjameswilliamson
G, F#, E
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:31 pm

Quote :
I guess I'm the only one who like's the stooges first album best ?

i cant choose, i said in an earlier post that they'd al be number one

i dunno how i chose this list lol i cant choose between them, theyre all brilliant, plus to use what gimmesomeskin said earlier or in a different thread they all bring on different effects when u lissten to them, nd u have to be in and they conjure different moods when listening, theyre three equally arresting albums
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:36 pm

these albums don't depend on mood for me at all. other albums/songs by other artists do, but not these. no matter what I'm feeling the first album always invariably has the most overwhelming effect on me ever. and Funhouse does that too but on a slightly lesser scale. that's why I'm always so amazed by them. or maybe I've just hypnotised myself into believing it, haha.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:44 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
[

We're also including official and semi-official releases

maybe this should've been made clear at the very start!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:54 pm

as said on page 1
official releases + boxsets!
so semi official releases..can also be included Wink
no boots no dvd's

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 12:13 am

Nadja; top 3 is ok..i take it with!

GSS so the list on this page is your final list??
and Raw Power > Bowie or Iggy mix?

JLTS not many people have The Stooges on nr 1 but..
till now practically all people have the album in their list!!
Tomorrow I'll give a first overview.

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 12:36 am

It's too hard. Penetration should be in it. I could replace Escaped Maniacs by Telluric Chaos. Argh! Fuck it I'll go with the list on this page.

Iggy mix!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 12:42 am

about Penetration. Have to check the books
if Penetration is semi official you can include it.
it's an import = mostly semi official...

but Escaped Maniacs..rather not..it belongs to that dvd.
(to my oppinion it's also a lost vote)
if you want you can take some more time before putting yr final list.
I only need to know.

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 4:42 am

Well I'd have put Escaped Maniacs on there instead of the first album because all the songs are on there too only in a more raw and loud version, but that's cool.

My copy of Penetration is err .. somewhere, so I can't check right away. But I think it's one of the Bomp compilations. I find it a good compilation of those unreleased but brilliant Stooges tracks. But I guess that'd qualify as non official. So I'll go for Metallic KO.

So yeah I'll go with the list I just posted.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:21 am

I think I'm only one who like Weirdness alittle more than Raw Power Smile

Nadja - Glad to see I AM NOT the only one who likes the first album slightly more than Funhouse Smile

Cheers !
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Top-5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:58 am

1) Raw Power
2) Imagined post-FH/Pre-RP album (songs played live '71, London '72)
3) Imagined post-RP album (songs played live '73 and '74)
4) Fun House
5) The Stooges

As you can see, I'm biased towards the JW period. There are too many outstanding Stooges songs that never saw the light of day on "normal" albums, from "Fresh Rag" to "Johanna" (not on a Stooges album). I never understood why Iggy and the Asheton bros. went through their existing stuff when they did "Weirdness"! The St. Charles May 1971 tape contains several songs they could re-make.

Per
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:01 am

why they DIDN'T go through their existing mtrl, I meant! However. one obvious reason probably is they don't have all the stuff. Another is that they imagined they could write better stuff now that they're much better musicians and more mature - yes, probably, but that doesn't translate into better songs! Per
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 am

Per that's why the boxsets r included! we don't wanna exclude the other great songs they made ofcoarse.
So isn't it better to choose one of these? instead of your nr 2 and 3..
Cuz I'm gonna make an overview of all lists..hoping that the first 5 albums will give a good view of what we all do think r the best Stooges albums. If we include too much different stuff..these votes will get 'lost'.

Also about the '73/'74 recordings you have in yr list; think its not good to include recordings with songs made by Iggy and James but never played by The Stooges. If i'm right on that '73/'74 there is some Kill City stuff with it..isn't it?
btw; Kill City songs r also on the Penetration album

Holy My ..this gets a complicated thread!!!

pernil wrote:
Another is that they imagined they could write better
stuff now that they're much better musicians and more mature - yes,
probably, but that doesn't translate into better songs! Per
Hmmm..
As i understood The Stooges didn't use their old material for a new album is because..Iggy explained; They wanted an album from a real performing and active band now..with their new material..not an album from a bunch of old dudes coming together to play their old stuff..(like the most of those reunited bands r doing nowadays).. think that's a pretty legitimized explanation. Only point is that..they do play about 70% old stuff at gigs.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 2:33 pm

This is tricky but here goes:

Fun House
Raw Power (Bowie mix)
Raw Power (Iggy mix)
Stooges
Year of the Iguana

If there is an album with I'm Sick of You, Scene of the Crime, Tight Pants, Johanna, I Got a Right, Gimme Some Skin and Open Up and Bleed all on it I could go for that instead of number 5 but I don't appear to have one in my collection.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 3:45 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
I think I'm only one who like Weirdness alittle more than Raw Power Smile

Nadja - Glad to see I AM NOT the only one who likes the first album slightly more than Funhouse Smile

Cheers !

yeh, I also put The Weirdness before Raw Power. Just because the sound of Ron's guitar means more to me than anything. Maybe that's kind of a narrow view but what the hell Smile
actually, on those grounds I'd also put Skull Ring before Raw Power Razz
but, ok I won't complicate things!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 3:53 pm

wow, amean we're all entitled to our opinions but raw power is WAY better than skull ring, both stooges parts and anyone elses (esp the awful greenday stuff)

but yeh, skull ring only makes sense live, loser and dead rock star start and are pretty much the same and little electric chairs one of their best - it escaped, lol

i dunno, this sounds a bit, forgive me for sayin, but bias or something, cos raw power is way more important and just 'better' than skull ring, and more consistent

sorry just my two cents, i guess thats a bit of a rant; dont take it as a critiscism or anythin im just sayin u'no

but give raw power a few more spins, its typical stooges, its the same power that was on the stooges and the same groove that was on funhouse - not so jazzy, but its the same stooges groove
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm not REALLY including Skull Ring in this list.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 4:04 pm

oh rite, i didnt see your list, well even just anyway raw power is a fantastic piece of work, and as ive started i cant even choose between the three let alone raw power and funhouse for example, so i love each one and each has the power of the stooges in it, but raw power is such a better album than skull ring, amean its all preference and everything, and even though skull ring is a deserving and brilliant album, its no raw power u'no

i dunno maybe just me, altho i see per put raw power number one which is good, i dunno how we can choose! lol

theyre all number one for me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 4:22 pm

FIRST OVERVIEW
Till now 15 people's lists (73 votes)

no. ALBUMS -------------- NO.1 - NO.2 - NO.3 - NO.4 - NO.5 ----------------> votes

1. Funhouse --------------- 7 ------ 2 ------ 0 ----- 2 ------ 1 -------------------> 12
2. The Stooges ------------ 2 ------ 6 ------ 4 ----- 2 ------ 1 -------------------> 15
3. Raw Power (Bowie mix) 4 ----- 2 ------ 2 ------ 2 ------ 0 -------------------> 10
4. Metallic KO -------------- 0 ----- 1 ------ 1 ------ 5 ----- 2 --------------------> 9
5. Raw Power (Iggy mix) - 2 ----- 0 ------ 2 ------ 1 ----- 1 --------------------> 6

The Weirdness ------------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 2 ------ 0 ----- 3 --------------------> 5
Heavy Liquid --------------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 1 ------- 2 ----- 0 -----------------> 3
Studio Sessions ------------ 0 ----- 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ----- 3 -----------------> 3
Funhouse Sessions -------- 1 ----- 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 ----- 0 -------------------> 2
Live '71 & Rarities --------- 0 ----- 0 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 2 -------------------> 2
California Bleeding --------- 0 ----- 1 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 0 -------------------> 1
Per's '71/'72 PRe-RP alb. - 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------- 0 ----- 0 ------------------> 1
Metallic KO2 --------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------- 0 ------ 0 ------------------> 1
Per's '73/'74 post RP alb. - 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------------------> 1
Penetration ---------------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------------------> 1
Year of the Iguana -------- 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------ 0 ------ 1 ------------------> 1

In the list you can see what i mean with 'lost' votes.

If people didn't put a special note with their Raw Power (Iggy or Bowie mix)
I counted it as Bowie mix!

If you wanna change something..that's ok…please post.
New posted lists will always be added!!
All clear?

Freaking Out

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:19 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Shouldn't Raw Power (Bowie) be in number 2 spot? 4 people had it as their favourite.

To complicate things I think you chould score favourites with 3 points, 2nd with 2 and 3rd with 1.

Can't fathom how anyone would go for Weirdness over Raw Power.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:20 pm

mc - this is all about personal preferences, if you can't personally fathom Weirdness being chosen over Raw power I personally can't 'fathom' how Raw Power is your no. 1, but it shouldn't matter if you can 'fathom' someone's choices or not. everyone has their reasons

Last edited by Nadja on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:22 pm

mc wrote:
Shouldn't Raw Power (Bowie) be in number 2 spot? 4 people had it as their favourite.

To complicate things I think you chould score favourites with 3 points, 2nd with 2 and 3rd with 1.
Mc 15 people voting for The Stooges..and having 6 votes on the second place. So total a lot more votes, than for the Bowie mix.

please give me an example of what you mean with your way of counting as you describe!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:28 pm

I know, I know... out of interest Nadja which did you hear first between Raw Power and Weirdness?

Zin, my suggestion probably makes things far too complicated, lets stick with yours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:36 pm

mc wrote:
Zin, my suggestion probably makes things far too complicated, lets stick with yours.
well...always open for a better way of counting.

BTW if you put Raw Power bowie and Iggy mix together..
than Raw Power get's absolutely nr 1
That's what I mean; F* complicated thread!!
alright..but with the figures...you can make it out yourself.

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 5:42 pm

mc wrote:
I know, I know... out of interest Nadja which did you hear first between Raw Power and Weirdness?

Raw Power. and as to why I picked Weirdness over Raw Power: three words -

RON ASHETON'S GUITAR.

Last edited by Nadja on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 6:33 pm

wow cant believe that, raw power is as much stooges as it is funhouse or the debut, its that same groove, that fews bands can translate into different sounds, the stones can do it, they have/had the same thing, not in terms of sound, theirs is rock n roll, blues, well everything salsas, reggae, watever, stooges is more earthy and primal

i dunno, i think you're only getting well literally somethign like 4/5 or specifically 2/3rds of the stooges as a band and their sound, raw power is so full of emotion and rhythm and the guitar playin is amazing

hopefully its not just the mixes that put you off, tho they do suck, well i love iggys and bowies is decent, but they really should do somethin about that

altho i never listen to any of the albums over and over or everyday or anything, not even every couple days, i can never do htat, but thats just me

also, thanks zin for compiling the list for us! i dunno if anyones surprised at the results tho! altho there are ppl still to vote!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STOOGES Albums TOP 5
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: