Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan?? Empty
PostSubject: Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??   Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan?? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 2:36 pm

Quote :
ggy Pop and The Stooges raucous version of Burning Up can perhaps be traced back to Madonna-obsessive bassist Mike Watt. His version can be heard on Sonic (nee Ciccone) Youth's Whitey Album (see also Sonic Youth's Into The Groove) which he recorded way back in the mid-80s. No wonder she got them to play at her Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductionp

it was part of some guardian.co.uk article about madonna and jackson adn rpince turning 50, and 50 of their best covers, started by mentioning the stooges

didnt know what was a madonna fan! this true?
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??   Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan?? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 3:40 pm

That is definitely on the Whitey Album. I haven't listened to it for ages though so I can't remember whether it is a faithful cover or a piss-take. I'd be surprised if that had any bearing on the Stooges playing at her HOF induction but it might have been a reson for them to choose that song.
Back to top Go down
Muddslide

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??   Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan?? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 7:34 pm

I used to have the Ciccone Youth album. They actually do a pretty straight version of "Burnin' Up."

As far as Watt and the Sonic Youth guys (and gal) being actual "fans" that's hard to say...SY had a track called "Madonna, Sean and Me" on one of their earlier albums and I remember seeing pics of Thurston and Kim hanging out with the twins from the 80s pop-metal band Nelson (they were the sons of either Ricky or Dave Nelson, grandkids of Ozzie & Harriet)...

I really think with them it's not so much a "Whoa, I LOVE Madonna and Nelson!" thing as much as it is a fascination with and examination of the poppest of pop culture.

I mean, they may well like the music for what it is, but I think largely it is an ironic sort of take on pop culture itself, such as the Karen Carpenter thing they did...
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??   Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 5:51 pm

Watt is definitely a Madonna fan!!! Back in 1985, a friend and I were sitting in his van after a fIREHOSE show in Columbus. He expressed how big a fan he was. My friend and I tried to talk about other topics but almost all Watt wanted to talk about was Madonna's new album at the time (don't remember which album it was).
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??   Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan?? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 6:03 pm

Chazz Avery wrote:
Watt is definitely a Madonna fan!!! Back in 1985, a friend and I were sitting in his van after a fIREHOSE show in Columbus. He expressed how big a fan he was. My friend and I tried to talk about other topics but almost all Watt wanted to talk about was Madonna's new album at the time (don't remember which album it was).

haha, great anecdote

weird, have to admit i love their version of burnin up, maybe its just the stooge twist but i love it alot, i wished they properly recorded it or there was a better boot goin round mine is just a thing i recorded from youtube
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??   Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mike Watt a Big Madonna Fan??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Down on the Street.-
Jump to: