Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'

Go down 
+10
Lucas
Peter Amsterdam
Nadja
Loose1969
homesickjameswilliamson
Donald
adams66
MJG196
G, F#, E
the science eel
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
the science eel

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-09-20

'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Empty
PostSubject: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 8:01 pm

Why doesn't Kill City attract the same amount of praise as the 1972 Stones' classic? Stylistically it's similar, and I think it's every bit as good, if not better - sort of a condensed version. Iggy on the edge, with a dirty band strutting behind him. Great songs, of course!

In my opinion, the album is one of the two or three best things Ig's ever been involved in. And yet I don't think I've ever seen people doing cartwheels over it. Don't you think they should? Smile
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Of course it should get the same amount of recognition but its an Iggy record so the music industry's not bothered about it.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:51 am

the science eel wrote:
Why doesn't Kill City attract the same amount of praise as the 1972 Stones' classic? Stylistically it's similar, and I think it's every bit as good, if not better - sort of a condensed version. Iggy on the edge, with a dirty band strutting behind him. Great songs, of course!

In my opinion, the album is one of the two or three best things Ig's ever been involved in. And yet I don't think I've ever seen people doing cartwheels over it. Don't you think they should? Smile

Wow...I really like Kill City, but would never even THINK to compare it to Exile. I don't find them stylistically similar at all. I dont think there is anything on Kill City that could ever approach songs like "Tumbling Dice" or "Ventilator Blues." Though J.W. lays down some kick-ass guitar lines, he is no match for Keef and Mick Taylor at their combo-peak.

I cant really think of anything in the "classic" Stones catalog you could compare Kill City to.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
the science eel

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 1:31 pm

mg196 wrote:
the science eel wrote:

Wow...I really like Kill City, but would never even THINK to compare it to Exile. I don't find them stylistically similar at all. I dont think there is anything on Kill City that could ever approach songs like "Tumbling Dice" or "Ventilator Blues." Though J.W. lays down some kick-ass guitar lines, he is no match for Keef and Mick Taylor at their combo-peak.

I cant really think of anything in the "classic" Stones catalog you could compare Kill City to.

'Consolation Prizes' is the most Stones-y thing Iggy ever did. The rest of the album sounds like top-rank Exile... outtakes, to me. Very much that same feel. Surprised you don't hear it.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm

I'm with you Science Eel. the first time I heard Kill City I was reminded of Exile-era Stones. It's not always a terribly close match soundwise, but the druggy, kind of happily wasted vibe is certainly there. "Consolation Prizes" and "Beyond The Law" have very Stonesy riffs and the closing instrumental "Master Charge" always reminds me of the Stones, though it doesn't actually sound that much like them.

Anyway, any album even approaching the mood and feel of Exile On Main Street has got to be good and Kill City has that vibe and loads more besides. I love Kill City, it's punchy and concise and fighting fit (amazing, considering the circumstances of it's recording). I wish that it could be reissued, with extra tracks, the original mixes or any out-takes that might be lurking.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
the science eel

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Oh, I'd love to hear a remastered version with outtakes - that'd be a dream!

You're right about it being surprisingly tough. Sometimes I think Kill City is the best thing Ig ever did. It's one of my very favourite albums and I think it's SERIOUSLY underrated.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Never really thought about it before but now you mention it Sell Your Love has a bit of a Stonesy groove to it.
Back to top Go down
the science eel

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:06 pm

the whole ALBUM does!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:44 pm

i think it has the same out of our heads atmosphere (reference to drug taking, not the 60s stones album, but i like the reference lol)

anyway

Quote :
I wish that it could be reissued, with extra tracks, the original mixes or any out-takes that might be lurking.

I HAVE BEEN DREAMING ABOUT THIS FOR YEARS!!!!

i even had a mind to do a whole package thing, of professionally shot black and white photos of like a run down city of skyscrapers etc (detroit ne one?) and pictures of just like 'oddballs' i guess, very diane arbus u'no

always dreamed of that, and remixing it, or having a remix done,i love that album!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 2:40 am

mg196 wrote:
the science eel wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Kill City is excellent, but on the level of Exile? Naaaah.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 6:00 pm

I should really start listening to the Rolling Stones. I like two obvious songs - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Gimme Shelter". Is "Exile On Main Street" a good place to start?
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 10:39 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
I should really start listening to the Rolling Stones. I like two obvious songs - "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Gimme Shelter". Is "Exile On Main Street" a good place to start?

Exile is the Stones' "Fun House", if you get my meaning. Get it, and turn it up LOUD!!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeTue Oct 28, 2008 10:44 pm

fuck i love exile, didnt stop playin for about a week there, nad my god its so good, if u ever wanted to do an 'american road trip' or something, just listen to that record, its literally like taking a road trip of the music made in america from like the 20s - 60s, its an unbelivable album, truly amazing

and i'd agree with loose, its their funhouse, its them on a record
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:13 am

Loose1969 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

Exile is the Stones' "Fun House", if you get my meaning. Get it, and turn it up LOUD!!!
sounds good Loose. Haven't heard it yet, but probably will with this recommendation
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Nadja wrote:
Loose1969 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

sounds good Loose. Haven't heard it yet, but probably will with this recommendation

Exile is everything the Stones haven't been since. Loose, loud, raunchy and decadent. Even if you're not a huge Stones fan, this one may change your mind in a hurry. "Rip This Joint" will slam your head against the wall, much in the same manner as the Stooges' "Loose". YOWZA!!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 4:47 pm

i dunno, amean i a way exile started and ended the best period stones, but they are ever changing i think, like i love goats head soup and its only rock n roll, and black and blue, not much a fan of some girls, but its still better than most albums!! but yeh they have different periods, i love all their work, but there is something special or magical or something about exile, its just a one off i think, its unbelivable the amount of songs and the level they reach with each one, there isnt a bad song which is amazing for an 18 song album!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
Nadja wrote:
Loose1969 wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

Exile is everything the Stones haven't been since. Loose, loud, raunchy and decadent. Even if you're not a huge Stones fan, this one may change your mind in a hurry. "Rip This Joint" will slam your head against the wall, much in the same manner as the Stooges' "Loose". YOWZA!!!

ok...looking forward to it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 3:29 am

You won't be sorry, m'dear. Wink
Back to top Go down
Peter Amsterdam

Peter Amsterdam

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 12:04 am

Strange.....people here who doesn't know Exile.
When I heard Kill City for the first time
the first thought was the Stones.

Althrough I like Beggers Banquit more it is a great album.

I wonder...what are the ages here?
I am an old fart of 50.

And a prober re-mastering with bonus tracks.....YES PLEASE!
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 am

Same thing I thought when I heard it (I'm 43 BTW). But Kill City than of course is the best Stones album! Smile
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Peter Amsterdam wrote:
Strange.....people here who doesn't know Exile.
!

I guess most people do know it, I just don't listen to the Stones much, and I know it's ridiculous Smile but there's something I don't get about them. I mean, I've finally listened to 'Exile' and I'd call it good, but nothing more than that.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 6:02 pm

I've listened to 'Exile On Street Main Street' sometime ago, to check out it's similarity to 'Kill City'..and IMHO..they are 2 different albums..Stones' album is more rock'n'roll with some country-blues elements in it..whereas 'Kill City' is mostly rock, with less blues or even rock'n'roll in it..but two of them are very good anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 6:29 pm

i dont think theres any comparison, as a HUGE stooges fan and HUGE stones fan

exile is country, blues, country blues, rock n roll etc as JW82 says, its them relaxing almost, and drugged out having fun

kill city is nuts by comparison, its frightening and chaotic (of course a better mix would really show this up in the music) its smacked out on heroin, desperate and has an air of 'not even the last chance, but the thing after it" kinda thing

the lyrics are a lot more brutal than exile

exiles like taking a trip across america pretty much, kill citys like taking a trip beyond even heroin, its desperation, if the stooges is hash, funhouse is LSD, raw power is heroin, kill citys like being in the NPI with iggy, its like madness

i dont think theyre at all related personally, i hear a little stones in stooges, but very little, but thats what stooges are/were good at taking a little bit of loads of influences and creating an all new music, and that influence creates another 5 genres
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:21 pm

I've only heard bits from "Exile On Main Street" and it seems a pretty chilled, quite positive album unlike "Kill City" which is one of the most depressing albums I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:26 pm

i dunno if kill city is depressing, i think its just like, we're bottom of the barrel and we can see the shit that goes on around here that kinda thing, its more an "observation of society" if you wanna put it like that, than say raw power which was, not a depressing album, but was like turning you on to heroin kinda thing u'no
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'   'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Kill City' = 'Exile On Main Street'
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next