Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What would be the "Holy Grail"...

Go down 
+22
Chemmy
gazatthebop
Cato
studioguy
Stranger09
freemind
Monger
pernil
Iguanas
berlinberlin
Shakes
regufr
neven
G, F#, E
Nadja
adams66
Paul T
TED
mc
Loose1969
homesickjameswilliamson
james matlock
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:14 am

Good work Paul, I have the 'Original Punks' CD
and never heard the version of Consolation Prizes
before.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 am

i don't own the original punks cd, but i know what it is. is the mix similar to the "alternate mix" on the bomp cd-single release of jesus loves the stooges?
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:51 am

Not sure Shakes but I do know I never heard that version before.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 3:45 am

Quote :
i don't own the original punks cd, but i know what it is. is the mix similar to the "alternate mix" on the bomp cd-single release of jesus loves the stooges?

it is, there a couple differences in it, in fact alot, its cleaner too, is this the original tapes?

speaking of, thanks for finding that out Paul, we'll have to hear that one, get easyaction on the case!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 7:44 pm

I have "Original Punks" cheers got it for a fiver its really good, I love the version of "Consolation Prizes" on it and especially "Johanna" with no annoying sax! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:01 pm

Interesting - I only got the revenge version BF50, didn't know anything else existed. Would like to know what version each one is. I'm guessing the company that put out "Original Punks" don't realize what they've got otherwise they'd have marketed it as such. It's on Amazon.co.uk marketplace for £2.50 so will be nice for my stocking this year.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:18 pm

it seems that by what g, f#, e is saying:

the mixes found on original punks are the mixes found on the jesus loves the stooges ep by iggy pop & james williamson, released on bomp records. these are the cd/10" releases that come with the 3-D glasses

BCD114

consolation prizes 3:24
jesus loves the stooges (alternate take) 4:49
johanna 3:17
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Very possibly. But also contains different versions of the other songs (except from "Lucky Monkeys" and "Master Charge")
Back to top Go down
berlinberlin

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 1:45 pm

Hmm, good question....any early Stooges recording in decent quality would be fine... I mean, what money did we spend before the generation of "tapetrader" or "dimeadozen" on the markets for bootlegs of low quality, not just Stooges & Iggy stuff...although I love those big covers of the longplayers... often with good quality pictures...in terms of Iggy I would love to see a full version of the '77 gig here in Berlin (Kant-Kino) or a decent one of '78....great setlist, fantastic band in my opinion....but very little good bootlegs....
Back to top Go down
Iguanas

Iguanas

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:55 am

"A hard fan of the STOOGES from the UK has said me is going to be released a full show of Stooges from the 70's in DVD this year probably...
He has a lot of flyers,shows,etuff,etc,I said him as a fan to put the full/complete show in the release..."

This is part of mail, which I received yesterday from an old trader. I do not know, is this true, but maybe it is complete The Saginaw Civic Center video (April 1970), or New York, Academy of Music (31-12-1973).
I will try to contact this man.
Back to top Go down
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/JesusLovesTheStooges/
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:00 am

Iguanas wrote:
"A hard fan of the STOOGES from the UK has said me is going to be released a full show of Stooges from the 70's in DVD this year probably...
He has a lot of flyers,shows,etuff,etc,I said him as a fan to put the full/complete show in the release..."

This is part of mail, which I received yesterday from an old trader. I do not know, is this true, but maybe it is complete The Saginaw Civic Center video (April 1970), or New York, Academy of Music (31-12-1973).
I will try to contact this man.

wow, Iguanas...please do!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 5:20 pm

The holy grail would be:

The 1971 (circa June) preview of a proposed 3rd Elektra album for Gallucci etc at the Stooge Manor (probably similar set to the '71 gigs, but possibly one or two additional tunes)

The 1972 King's Cross Cinema gig.

I'm sure neither exists on tape so they'll remain holy grails.

Per
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 7:11 am

yeah,that elekta "audition" would be something!
wonder if anyone in the mainman org back then could say "yea or nay" on kings cross? They made such a production about it,and wasnt lou reed taped by mainman there?
Back to top Go down
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 10:46 pm

My Holy Grail would be those tracks in remastered from "Rubber Legs" 'cause they are all awesome!Twisted Evil

- Rubber Leggs
- Open Up And Bleed (so beatiful)
- Johanna
- Cock In My Pocket (everytime James! one of my favorite)
- Head On A Curb (come on ron! with a great bass solo)
- Cry For Me (AKA pin point eyes)
- Born In A Trailer
- She Creatures Of The Hollywood Hills

BTW I try with Sound Forge.. scratch
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 12:07 pm

I wouldn't know where to stop! Smile

However, the complete film of the Cincinatti Festival from 1970 would top my list.

A high quality live recording from '73 (let's face it, enjoyable as they are, all the recordings from that era in quality terms don't do the band favours...as for Soldiers Field from 1970, sounds pretty good to me! Smile ).

I'd like a lot of post Stooges stuff really...particularly more high quality recordings from 1979-81, the ones in my sig...

I'm hoping to try to put together a mix of the two Waves Club 1.10.80 recordings soon, it'll take a while though.

What happened about the San Francisco '79 recording Easy Action announced?? They've gone all quiet on that one .... Sad
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 12:13 am

First post!!
I've been a fan since 1975

Anything post Funhouse, pre Raw Power studio or live that actually sounds halfway good. 1st album outtakes would be amazing if they exist.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Cato

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:41 pm

The 1971 (circa June) preview of a proposed 3rd Elektra album for Gallucci etc at the Stooge Manor (probably similar set to the '71 gigs, but possibly one or two additional tunes)

The 1972 King's Cross Cinema gig.

I'm sure neither exists on tape so they'll remain holy grails.

Per

Are you shure a tape was recorded as a 3rd Elektra album preview?

I thought it was just an audition.

cato
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 pm

A dvd of the Scala show would do. When Raw Power first came out it was such a scary cover, especially the back. That was the first time i saw Iggy and was hooked
Back to top Go down
Chemmy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:05 pm

for me the sessions iggy did with ray manzarek would be amazing to hear. stooges-wise i'd say a pristine quality live show from the raw power era.
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:09 pm

I don't think there was a tape of the proposed 3rd Elektra album. As I understand it, they simply ran through the material, like in a rehearsal. Also, it's quite clear that OGWT didn't tape the King's Cross Cinema, as it certainly should have been mentioned in a review (or even been visible in one of the many photos that Mick Rock took). I guess it's just wishful thinking and dreaming... Per
Back to top Go down
mindless

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 10:08 pm

James said in an interview the 1973 New Years show at the NYC Academy of Music was recorded by Columbia, so there's one I'd like to hear.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 11:11 pm

Anything from "The Stooges" or "Fun House" era would be great. Easy Action have delivered a fantastic record of the Jimmy Recca era, but I am tantalised at the thought that Unganos' twin guitar, live Fun House set is sitting in Rhino's vault, hopefully for release soon. Robert Matheu is on the case (ref topic "Rhino gutted" in case you haven't read it - also contains a link to Rhino's suggestion box if you feel like prompting them to release Unganos.)
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 11:02 am

Rob Gallucci wrote:
Anything from "The Stooges" or "Fun House" era would be great. .)

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Complete set, live video/film footage of the Easy Action71, Raw Power or Metallic K.O Stooges with in-sync sound would be Holy Grail time for me.

But even twenty years ago, the Cincinnati footage was considered lost or unlicensible by those in the know. Didn't any of their fans anywhere attempt recording the above? There certainliy weren't the constraints upon media then that there are now.
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 7:49 am

I think a recording of the Razor's Edge would be the ultimate early-stooges recording, i always picture it as a kind of Sister Ray type number with cutting riffs and Iggy spitting out great improve lyrics. Lord knows anything would have been better than We Will Fall on the first album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would be the "Holy Grail"...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2