Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins

Go down 
+6
Nadja
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
homesickjameswilliamson
Jesi
G, F#, E
cb
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Nadja wrote:
I would've preferred it if there had been more in the media about Ron anyway. But the british press know fuck-all

Couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 am

I found this, which I feel confirms my take on the whole 'selling out' notion. It appeared in a 2007 Henry Rollins interview from Mother Jones (this is just a portion of the entire-see link at end for complete HR interview).

MJ: I'm glad you brought up music, because I wanted to shift gears and talk about music, specifically punk rock. Where do you think punk was able to succeed the most, and where do think punk failed the most?

HR: [Punk] gave music back to people. For a long time, when I was very young, I went to go see arena rock bands. I was 16 and it was all I could get in to see, legally. And I saw Led Zeppelin and Ted Nugent and Van Halen and all that. Me and [Minor Threat and Fugazi vocalist] Ian MacKaye would go to these concerts, and it was fun. You know, seeing Led Zeppelin did not suck, in the least. And then punk rock came along and all of a sudden you are standing five feet away from Dee Dee Ramone or the Bad Brains, or you're carrying in the gear with the band, or now you're in the band, and so music became this very immediate thing to me, where I could experience it from a very close-up vantage point instead of bringing binoculars, which I literally did to see Led Zeppelin. So I think it actualized music for a lot of young people. If you wrote the band, they would write back. You could meet the band. It became this thing that was a part of your life, not this thing that you paid a ticket for and through peanuts at. And that to me was huge. I think a lot of people became very inspired by that ethic of, you know, I'm gonna confront authority and really see what that's all about, and question authority, read between the lines, and be suspicious. And I never heard that in a Ted Nugent record.

Where did it fail? I don't know that it failed, I think it kind of just got absorbed into popular mainstream. When you hear a Stooges track or a Buzzcocks track or a Ramones track or a track by the Fall, or what have you, in a car ad, some people, whenever that happens, I get a letter saying "What a sellout." And I say "no man, we've arrived." The person making that ad grew up on that music. You're no longer confined to interstitial, instrumental music, you're gonna get Iggy Pop and the Teddy Bears singing I'm a punk rocker to sell a car. What would you rather hear? Some wanky keyboard or Iggy and the Teddy Bears? I know which one I'd rather hear, and I just hope they get paid quickly and double scale, because it's about time. I don't so much see the failure in as much as that anything that has been around for 30 years or more.
http://www.motherjones.com/interview/2007/07/henry_rollins.html
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:17 am

good post Scott, thanks for sharing!

i liked what he said, and i think he's right, but my whole thing about this, is why are people making a deal over iggy 'selling out'? he's done it before, lol, maybe not to live this time but whatever, plus the major thing i have is this is where the music of punk ends and the ethos of punk comes in, stooges were never 'against the man' or the government or rallying together in the way the punk mentality became for UK punk bands like the pistols etc, it was bascially get high, think i read that was - if they had one - their manifesto, actually it was that john sinclair quote, the MC5s manifesto, drugs, rock and roll and fucking in the streets or something like that, i think it was Ron or Iggy who said that was pretty much theirs too, so i dont get this whole thing about 'selling out', i think its just news u'no, and like he said, its mainstream now, and more iggy on Tv instead of 'muzak' or whatever the better, i havent seen it enough to adversely effect me (yet) but i think its cool, i always like seeing it before and after ad breaks for Futurama lol
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 am

You know, I really don't know why people have ever made a fuss over the notion of 'selling out'. Most, if not all would be hypocrites by simply settling down and getting a job after their 'dope, guns, and fucking in the streets' days. If that's the case, I am definitely guilty as charged, but that does not change the core of who I am, and what my ideals are, or for that matter, were. Iggy has always known EXACTLY what he was doing from the get-go (minus the really dope-addled moments of course). Like you state, he has never made any statements to contradict that. He is what he is, he does what he does, and in my humble opinion, does it extremely well - so get it whilst you can Iggy!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:54 am

exactly, the surprising thing about all this 'selling out' thing and the whole stuff about the ad is that the people who would start goin nuts over him selling out is us, the fans, but we dont care lol, cause we know he's never said anything, like you say, to contradict it

its the people who arent fans, who know nothing about him who are defending his former unsold self, its ridiculous

i was sitting with my friends and someone was like ''ugh, have u seen that new iggy car ad, what the fuck is that, he's totally selling out, dont you hate him for doing that?" and i just shrugged, and asked if theyd seen the old royal carribean cruises ads lol

its funny, but more annoying, no one pays attention to him when he's creating amazing music but as soon as he does a fuckin ad for car insurance he gets headlines lol

well not headlines, but ppl talking about him
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 4:15 am

Then this upcoming movie with Iggy should really stoke the 'sell-out' fire!

King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Suck_ComingSoon
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:45 pm

haha, yeh ano

actually, im not particularly lookin forward to this i have to admit, if its done well i guess, but i just imagine it'll...well, suck lol
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
Half Alive Incubator Baby
jimmyo

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2007-05-08

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:02 pm

this was in response to "how much is iggy worth?

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Good question. I would say 5-10 million.
5 to 10 million? where, EXACTLY, are you getting this from?

i mean, his property is, certainly, worth something. but, most real estate has lost between 30 and 50% since the housing crisis kicked in.

excluding the value of his real estate--it wouldn't surprise me if he had less than a million CASH on hand. (could be MUCH less.)

But, who knows? In any event, a net worth estimate of 5-10 million seems HIGH.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Iggy isn't a sell-out, its not like Crass are advertising corn flakes.

The adverts are just a bit embarassing, they make me cringe a bit.

As for his music being on adverts Iggy said something in an Iggy documentary along the lines of, "I have no problem with companies using my music for adverts because it was never concieved with commercial appeal in mind."

Which is a really good point Smile

And thanks Scott, Henry Rollins quotes are always good.
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Quote :

Two guys I will always admire - Iggy and Henry. Always give you the straight and narrow, whether it's user-friendly or not.
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
jimmyo

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 4:27 am

scott wrote:
Quote :

Two guys I will always admire - Iggy and Henry. Always give you the straight and narrow, whether it's user-friendly or not.
yup. hank is pretty killer. i caught quite a few of his shows in the 1991-92 era...
lollapalooza and a few club dates...
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:58 am

jimmyo wrote:

i mean, his property is, certainly, worth something. but, most real estate has lost between 30 and 50% since the housing crisis kicked in.

excluding the value of his real estate--it wouldn't surprise me if he had less than a million CASH on hand. (could be MUCH less.)

Well, there's royalties from all of these commercials and from the old albums. He owns a Rolls Royce! He's gotta have more than just a million!

Anyway, it was just a wild guess.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
jimmyo
jimmyo

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 7:26 pm

jimmyo wrote:

Well, there's royalties from all of these commercials and from the old albums. He owns a Rolls Royce! He's gotta have more than just a million!

fair enough. Cool
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:36 am

jimmyo wrote:
jimmyo wrote:

fair enough. Cool

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:48 pm

A really bad move for J. Osterburg jnr to be involved with this 'ad campaign' imho. Is it a 'Consolation Prize' 34 years on from the recording sessions that spawned such a great batch of songs?
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:40 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Good article dynamite boogie. Smile

Quote :
And Churchill insurance won’t offer life insurance to Winston Churchill on account of the fact that he’s dead.

That made me laugh.
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:59 pm

apparently there was a 1/3 page write up in today's daily star newspaper with a big picture of iggy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins   King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

King of Punk Iggy Pop Recruited to Front £25 Million Car Ins
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Gimme Danger.-
Jump to: