Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power box set?

Go down 
+26
trailerborn
adams66
krugersoldier
Chris Moise
mindless
jneilnyc
osterbergermeister
Nervebreaker
Stranger09
mark
Donald
Rob Gallucci
napalm_cheetah
G, F#, E
Monger
neven
TeddyB1018
MJG196
Garageman
citizensmurf
mc
Nadja
Shakes
the5thramone37
homesickjameswilliamson
saichan
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:10 am

Nice one. I gave it three votes for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:40 pm

same here

what does 7 votes left mean? 7 more and theyll think about it?
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:48 pm

I had 7 votes left too. I think that's the number of votes you have left. What are you going to do with them? Laughing
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:53 pm

oh right, thanks

probly not vote for anything, wish i could re vote for stooges! wonder how long til they take a look
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Even if there's no unheard stuff in the vault, they could put together a very nice Raw Power 2CD along similar lines to the 1st album/Funhouse ones. Something like...

DISC 1
Bowie mix remastered
Search and Destroy
Gimme Danger
Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell
Penetration
Raw Power
I Need Somebody
Shake Appeal
Death Trip

RG Jones (?) 1972 demos
I'm Sick of You
Tight Pants
Scene of the Crime

Olympic 1972 demos
I Got a Right
Gimme Some Skin
Louie Louie
Money

DISC 2
Iggy Mix
Search and Destroy
Gimme Danger
Penetration
Raw Power
I Need Somebody
Shake Appeal
Death Trip

'Rough Power' mixes in better quality (minus duplicates)
Search and Destroy
Gimme Danger
Penetration
Raw Power
I Need Somebody
Shake Appeal
Death Trip

Easy!

Last edited by mark on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:00 pm

yeh that'd be good

though we've heard all that

what're the chances of unheard stuff? completely or at least limited circulation bootleg stuff
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:01 pm

mark wrote:
Even if there's no unheard stuff in the vault, they could put together a very nice Raw Power 2CD along similar lines to the 1st album/Funhouse ones. Something like...

DISC 1
Bowie mix remastered
Search and Destroy
Gimme Danger
Penetration
Raw Power
I Need Somebody
Shake Appeal
Death Trip

RG Jones (?) 1972 demos
I'm Sick of You
Tight Pants
Scene of the Crime

Olympic 1972 demos
I Got a Right
Gimme Some Skin
Louie Louie
Money

DISC 2
Iggy Mix
Search and Destroy
Gimme Danger
Penetration
Raw Power
I Need Somebody
Shake Appeal
Death Trip

'Rough Power' mixes in better quality (minus duplicates)
Search and Destroy
Gimme Danger
Penetration
Raw Power
I Need Somebody
Shake Appeal
Death Trip

Easy!

Well I wouldn't be buying that one, I'm not a fan of duplicates.

I'm guessing Atlanta 73 live, at least will be in it.
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Maybe I'm off the mark here but I see the '73/'74 live stuff as being kind of separate from the Raw Power era. Raw Power, to me, is the reconstituted 4-piece Stooges in London, before they went back to the States and added Scott Thurston for that final tour with all the new songs.

For me, the fantasy stuff for a Raw Power box would be any unheard studio outtakes from '72, the Kings Cross show and maybe any recordings of Iggy and James putting the songs together, if such things exist.
Back to top Go down
citizensmurf

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 6:20 am

I think for the purposes of a Raw Power box, anything recorded during their contract with Columbia would fit the bill. The tour was in promotion of Raw Power, so I think most people would tend to lump it all together, regardless of line-up changes and repertoire.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 4:16 pm

A re-release including the Bowie & Iggy mixes, if well packaged and not stupidly priced, would be welcome, but I still dream of hearing a remastered RP done by someone with enough expertise and PASSION for such a project to give us a truly definitive version which overcomes at least some of the frustrations of those two mixes (a remaster which sounds like the whole band is in the same room, rather than the rhythm section playing in the room next door!) If there's anywhere I can vote or petition for that, please post the details! You know how great RP already is - imagine it even better!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 4:58 pm

exactly, Rob, that would be amazing

i like both bowies and iggys mix, i prefer iggys mix personally, but a brand new one would, not only make it like the most complex and storied history of a records proper production lol - but would also make it really good, and a more band sounding album, i like it the way it is, but a new, more sympathetic production would be good
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 5:51 pm

The difficulty with doing a really good remix of Raw Power, of course, is the way the album was tracked in the first place. It's been said in a few places that even though they basically only used three tracks of the 24-track tape: one for the lead guitar overdubs, one for vocals, and one for the entire backing track - ie rhythm, bass and drums. Seemingly they never gave the bass and drums much level in the first place, somewhat burying them under the rhythm guitar, and that's why it's proven difficult to give those parts much kick in a way that would compare with, say, Funhouse.

However, developments in technology might yet allow someone to remix Raw Power with more control over the levels of individual instruments. A company called Celemony is about to launch something called Direct Note Access which can supposedly dismantle a musical performance, note by note, even if it's all recorded on the same track. It might be possible to feed the Raw Power multitrack into that and use it to isolate the bass and rhythm guitars to and change the levels independently. Who knows.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Interesting point Mark, things have been heading in that direction for a while.

I think a bass boosted Raw Power is possible these days too.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 11:44 pm

mark wrote:
It might be possible to feed the Raw Power multitrack into that and use it to isolate the bass and rhythm guitars and change the levels independently.

Cheers for the info Mark. I have started this a separate thread, and mailed Columbia Legacy with exactly this request regarding bass and drums. I will post anything interesting they reply with.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 12:09 am

Well done!

While we're at it, who's got quality stereo recordings of the original mixes?

I have a tape of the mixes broadcast in stereo on FM radio, unlike the weird mono >> "bathroom stereo" ones on the Rough Power CD.

The tape is good but hissy...that could be cleaned up, *sensitively* for any project they might consider.

I won't hold my breath.

Smile

However I do believe in the power of 'campaigning' (relentlessly at times) as it can seem to work sometimes in making things happen.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:21 pm

For your info... I did mail Columbia some days ago, but no reply yet.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:42 pm

mc wrote:
A Lou Reed recording from the Scala in 72 also surfaced recently, so it could be possible.

Interesting.

What's it like for quality ?

curiously I've not seen it on any of the (music) torrent sites I use.

I've seen by googling it's on the 'free for all' type sites, but they always have pics of 'scantily clad' women on them, not the type of sites I want to look at on my work pc.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 11:21 am

Stranger09 wrote:
mc wrote:
A Lou Reed recording from the Scala in 72 also surfaced recently, so it could be possible.

Interesting.

What's it like for quality ?

curiously I've not seen it on any of the (music) torrent sites I use.

I've seen by googling it's on the 'free for all' type sites, but they always have pics of 'scantily clad' women on them, not the type of sites I want to look at on my work pc.
lou at the scala was on dime,it's an audience recording
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 15, 2009 12:17 pm

ah, got the impression a mixer recording was being alluded to.

Still any recording at the Scala of Iggy would be interesting...started reading the Tryncka book the other night - largely the 1970-1972 bits so far, and the reactions to the Stooges in '72 and how powerful they were alleged to be, makes me curious about hearing more!
Smile
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 4:22 am

Has anyone heard anything else about this project? coming out any time soon?
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:26 am

If it is going to happen at all, if they haven't got them already, Columbia ought to track down the pre-release mixes...quite a few are listed as being 'out there' so to speak an one online trade list... Smile
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 10:44 am

Or the academy of music show...or the atlanta show...rehersals in their room..scala cinema...list goes on and on about "maybes"
Back to top Go down
Nervebreaker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 5:01 am

I was at the October 73 Atlanta shows all week except Tuesday. By Ron and Scott and my opinion the Friday show was the most incredible and powerful show I have encounter to this very day. The Atlanta shows have been referred to as their best because they didn't have diversions as they had in other cities they played like L A, N Y, and Detroit. I'll hope it's that show and if it is it will be incredible. Hopefully it's not Sat when Iggy was drugged and Elton came on stage in that gorilla suit. Iggy couldn't stand up on his own and lean on our shoulders at the front table.
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:17 pm

I think I might know a little about this. I bought some stuff off of Robert Matheu on eBay a couple of months ago. He told me he was working with Sony on a Raw Power box set. He said that it was going to include an Atlanta '73 show. If you read Matheu's new book, he refers to an Atlanta recording that is the only professional live Stooges recording, or something like that (I don't have the book in front of me). If you watch that interview with Rock on the Escaped Maniacs DVD, he also refers to a recently discovered Atlanta tape that he hoped would be released soon. We can only hope!! Steve
Back to top Go down
jneilnyc

jneilnyc

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 pm

At the book signing last night, they also mentioned newly found video that would likely be included. No real details ... when someone asked where they found it they said "it found *us*"...
Back to top Go down
http://www.jneil.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power box set?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: