Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different

Go down 
+2
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
ZenDog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ZenDog

ZenDog

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-03-11

The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Empty
PostSubject: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 9:33 pm

The White Stripes star Jack White is still looking for answers as to why Iggy Pop shunned his efforts to produce The Stooges reunion album last year .

White, a huge fan of the punk icons, offered to do anything if Pop and his bandmates agreed to let him take charge of their comeback album - and he thought he'd got the job after a chat with the group's frontman.

The White Stripes star, who made his full producing debut on country queen Loretta Lynn's acclaimed Van Lear Rose album, says, "Years ago I got a call from Iggy and I said, 'yeah, let's do it.' I had an idea: let's all live in a house together, get the recording equipment in, no one's allowed to leave, stay there until it's done.

"Iggy loved it, but the next day he called and said, 'I don't know, man.'

"Years went by and people around The Stooges said, 'You should do that album.'

"Out in Australia when we were on tour together, I said, 'Look, whatever you want me to do, I'll do it. Play bass, bring you guys coffee, I don't care...'

"I mean, I'm in debt to The Stooges for life and I'm never going to say no. So I guess you'd have to ask them (why I wasn't asked)."

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/entertainment/tittletattle/article_21287098.shtml

Zen Dog Radio http://search.mercora.com/page/ZenDog
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 4:06 am

Well, maybe, but the writing of the album would possibly be the same.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
ZenDog

ZenDog

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 am

Yes, I'm sure that the lyrics, the music, the chords would be the same. But what about the mix? Many fans have complained about how Albini mixed this recording.

Take a listen to the mix on the new White Stripes tune " Icky Thump" and you'll see what I mean.

Also, Jack White is a true fan, Albini was just a hired gun.

Zen Dog Radio http://search.mercora.com/page/ZenDog
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 12:21 pm

Comparing recent live recordings, especially those from TV appearances and radio broadcasts, to The Weirdness is interesting. In general the live recordings sound clearer and contain a better grasp of dynamics than the overly muddy album tracks.
The Weirdness only really works for me with the bass pumped up to the max and the volume at a very high level. And this isn't something I can do (or want to do) that often. Listening to the album at a more sensible volume leaves me feeling unsatisfied and the only tracks that then work are the slower ones, especially the excellent title song.
It's an album that really needed a lot of listens to get into and I'm really glad I did, but I know of quite few people who've been put off by the unappealing mix, and who've not persevered with what is actually a very fine album.
Cheers,
R
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Listening to the latest White stripes it's hard for me not to think about The weirdness with the roughness of Little cream soda...

For the next album I hope Iggy with company get's less preachy about the world and link more of the words to feelings(More or less every song on Funhouse is a feeling booster).
And I also hope they get together with someone that can catch the livesound(For example White) and that they at least get one song with a animal reference(Dog n' TvEye) and a noisy filler with a cool sounding title(We will fall, LA blues).

If they kick the next album open with a solid psychadelic bluesbrawler as Trollin or Down the street, fill most of a ten song list with soloing as I'm fried, are fuled with at least some feelings(like anger) together with Whites anger, take notes on James Brown soul and end the whole cd with Mindroom.... -If it went this way, I'd say we'd got ourselves at least some contact with the 70s Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 4:31 pm

And the thing with living in a house together with White till things are done sounds much more fueling than recording in Albinis brickroom day in and day out.
My idea of fun sounds almost as brutal live as battle tanks making love instead of the studioversions volkswagen on vacation mix(at least at too low volumes, equals almost no bass) -Still the studioversion is a good song, but live is king!
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 7:44 pm

Any Weirdness song live is better than the recording, the problem is not in the performance, but the sound and the mastering, the vinyl is much better, the CD is basically shit sounding... hell, who cares, the Stooges kick ass live !
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 8:49 pm

Iggy has never been comfortable with producers. He spent years slagging off John Cale's work on The Stooges (He did little or nothing in the studio) a few months after Fun House he claimed he more or less produced Fun House himself (a gross calumny on don Gallucci, who really went out to bat for him) and we know what happened with Raw Power.

a certain amount of control freakery is a very good thing, but there comes a time when you have to hand over the reins: and production is one of them. There's a fascinating contrast with Bowie who ALWAYS handed over to a producer.

I think Iggy and the Ashetons were worried they'd be Jack White's plaything, when the truth is he could probably have got a better sound than Albini AND worked on the songs. He would have made the good rocky ones tougher (idea of fun) and the weird ones weirder (the weirdness) and got rid of the turkets (Trollin').

Yup, they're still supernatural live, but with a bit more work they could have made a supernatural record.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Pauly: Maybe they should set loose a live album? Playing infront of audience and play 3 different new songs on each place, who's rigged with mics, and then mix the tapes and violá.
One thing that bothered me is that on the sound of interviews it sounds like Ron thinks the album was supposed to be more of a rock album, a professional sounding one.

And on Jack. I think White got a good routine, mashing brutality with blues and 60sounding pop. I don't think he'd get in the way for the band, but as you said, evolve them into the process. They'd know they'd be slaves for the record, and they woudlnt be realses until the record would be instant mint.
What do you think about the stir of attention to the fact that White wanted to produce? Do you think they could consider having White at the table, as coffeeboy and co-producer combined?
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 12:57 pm

Who's to say with Jack? There are certainly people who reckon he's an ass. But he's devoted to music, he's in a hugely creative stage of his life with the music pouring out of him, a vibe the Stooges could have picked up on... plus there's the sound he gets. I had my iPod on shuffle, and had one song on The Weirdness followed by something like Hotel Yorba, and the Whit eStripes sound DESTROYED that of the Stooges . And this was recorded at some tiny 8-track for tuppence ha'penny.
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 1:15 pm

What is certain is that White would have attracted a lot of the exposure to himself, which Iggy didn't want. Hence Albini the technician who just record. No tinkering with the songs structures, sound etc
Too bad his trademark sound is dated now. The drums to me always sound like shit in that studio.
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Although the Stooges songs on Skull Ring are bit hit and miss, the production and overall sound is better than on The Weirdness. "Skull Ring" itself has a gratifyingly expansive sound.

For me though the best mix/sound/whatever you call it on new Stooges songs is to be found on both versions of "You Better Run" from the Junior Kimbrough tribute album. Both tracks sound fantastic; Mike Watt is clearly audible, Scott's drums have real power and Ron's guitar is sharp and hard and nasty. Plus Iggy's vocals have depth, whereas some of the vocals on The Weirdness sound rather too thin to me.

But, hell, the band clearly wanted Albini for his signature sound, so we can't really complain that the record doesn't sound the way we'd have preferred. It's obviously what the Stooges wanted.

Me, I think I'd have loved Jack White's attempts - he surely would have gone for a Fun House type sound, which I think would really suit many of the new songs.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 9:22 am

seventeen wrote:
Any Weirdness song live is better than the recording, the problem is not in the performance, but the sound and the mastering, the vinyl is much better, the CD is basically shit sounding... hell, who cares, the Stooges kick ass live !

I agree, the vinyl is the better experience. Probably more true to what the artist indented.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 5:49 pm

Paul T: I don't think White would force Iggy doing some acoustic number on a 8track from the sixties. I'm even unsure if Ron knows what a acoustic is Wink
And the production on the 3 newest Stripes albumes got some serious value, even Elephant(who's made out 60s vintage recording)
He didn't screw up with the country album for the country lady, so I can't see why he'd try to make the stooges sound like anything other than the stooges.

seventeen: There would surely be some exposure regarding Jack's role in the thing. But he'd be sure to focus it on the album. I mean, most of his work is based around the mystic. I don't see why he'd be an attention whore this time around.

By the way. Anyone else thinking that a Ep would be the best thing to do? 4-5 songs. 4 killers and one cover(just for the heck of it). Long going psychadelic blues brawling, Iggy screaming and saxophone vs guitar battles in the solos flower
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2007 10:39 pm

BTH, I'm certain Jack would have let the Stooges be the Stooges. But I think with a bit of nudging here and there he could have honed the song selection, probably improved the songs themselves and certainly recorded them better. Most of all, Jack knows how to do 'simple'. But not conventional.

AS has been suggestd I think Iggy didn't want to be a sideshow. But what would have made Jack look good, would certinaly have made the Stooges look great.

I like the idea of a quick EP, just to keep the momentum going.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2007 2:45 pm

I really got triggered thinking about an EP this morning. I mean, if they could focus all they got on 5-6 songs instead of 10-14songs... They could much more force into everyone of them, just like Skullring and Electric chair on skullrings(loser and dead rock star doesn't count Wink)

By the way Paul, you who know your Iggy. What other album with Iggy than The idiot and Funhouse got those lofi and introvert words in the lyrics? You know, stuff like "Radio burning, up above. Feed my love all night" and the seeing swaztikas everywhere.
Words that tells you how Iggy feels about the world, not what he thinks it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different   The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Weirdness Could Of Been...Different
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: