Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Williamson's stage presence

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Williamson's stage presence Empty
PostSubject: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 9:00 am

Interesting...

I always wondered what James was like on stage. That footage from Kral that surfaced recently goes some way to answering this, as does a snippet I found on this forum.

Discussing the Raw Power reunion, someone asks, "I never heard anything about his [Williamson's] stage presence" and gets the reply:

"Intense. I only saw them play once, but James was enough of a bad-ass that it was easy to ignore the ridiculous Ziggy Stardust garb he was sporting. Maybe it just made him scarier. At one point he managed to quiet the crowd (somewhat) by slowly raising both arms and giving them the finger(s) while staring down some chump.

Three thugs, and a wiseass that starts the fights they finish."

Love that description of the band: "Three thugs, and a wiseass".
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 am

James also used to bite his lips frequently while he was playing. He had a red eye shadow period. He definiely had an ego.
Back to top Go down
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:17 am

Yeah, an ego equal to Iggy's, perhaps Smile

I've seen photos of James and his red eye shadow! His Count Dracula phase...

Regarding James, I always found this description intriguing, from Nick Kent. Even though I suspect there's a bit of heroin-buddy mythmaking going on here, it fascinates me all the same:

"Neither [Scott nor Ron] was at all pleased about having to play second banana to Williamson's abrasive arrogance. Iggy called James Williamson his 'secret weapon' and that's exactly what he was, at least in a musical sense. He played his guitar so intensely hard both his hands were a constant blur. In fact, at his best, he played guitar just as fast and loose as the way he lived his life. Which was always very fast and loose indeed. The Stooges were quite obsessive in their quest to constantly project an overtly delinquent persona, but Williamson was the only bonafide delinquent of the four, to the point where he'd actually been locked up in reform school for stealing cars and speed-taking in his early teens. After his release he'd gone on to establish himself as one of Detroit's most powerful young guitarists and one of its most notorious junkies. Even Scott, who didn't give a fuck about anything or anyone, was frightened of him because James was the best fighter, too.

Iggy had him right by his side though, because he wanted a Keith Richards-kinda guy carrying half the creative weight in the Stooges, playing guitar riffs that hit the listener like kidney-punches. But he also deeply admired the way James could project this image of withering malevolence. Evil was much on his mind at the time".

Nick Kent, 'The Four Ages of a Man Named Pop: Pictures of Iggy'.

Heh -- "Even Scott"!!

Natalie, I gather from previous posts that you're not the biggest James fan, but do you have any thoughts on this summary from Mr Kent?
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 1:46 pm

Yes I do!!!!! LOL

Nick Kent writes pretty words and he is full shit.

I met Nick outside a Bowie concert in Newcastle in 1973. He was standing on the steps at the entrance pontificating about rock music. He was talking about the Doors and the Stooges. I walked up and did not identify myself as a Stooge fan. I remember telling him he did not know what he was talking about and he was full of it.

As for not being the biggest James fan, well I really think I was just such a Ron fan that James may have gotten my left over frustration.

I really did liike his guitar style and I have always loved Raw Power. I just liked Ron's more. I felt Ron was always just himself. He was an original. He did not need flashy make up. He just needed his guitar and his wah wah pedal. I felt James was trying to be somebody else. Be it Keith or some other rocker, he was just a bit pretentious.
One more thing, James and Scott shared an apartment at the exact time James joined the band. To say Scott was scared of James is just ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 2:21 pm

saichan wrote:

"Neither [Scott nor Ron] was at all pleased about having to play second banana to Williamson's abrasive arrogance. Iggy called James Williamson his 'secret weapon' and that's exactly what he was, at least in a musical sense. He played his guitar so intensely hard both his hands were a constant blur. In fact, at his best, he played guitar just as fast and loose as the way he lived his life. Which was always very fast and loose indeed. The Stooges were quite obsessive in their quest to constantly project an overtly delinquent persona, but Williamson was the only bonafide delinquent of the four, to the point where he'd actually been locked up in reform school for stealing cars and speed-taking in his early teens. After his release he'd gone on to establish himself as one of Detroit's most powerful young guitarists and one of its most notorious junkies. Even Scott, who didn't give a fuck about anything or anyone, was frightened of him because James was the best fighter, too.

Iggy had him right by his side though, because he wanted a Keith Richards-kinda guy carrying half the creative weight in the Stooges, playing guitar riffs that hit the listener like kidney-punches. But he also deeply admired the way James could project this image of withering malevolence. Evil was much on his mind at the time".

Nick Kent, 'The Four Ages of a Man Named Pop: Pictures of Iggy'.

That's typical of Prick Kent . Always romantizing and making things up as he goes along...
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:36 pm

Natalie, how about being scrappers or fighters. Did the Stooges ever have to duke it out with anyone? Plus I always thought Scott was the badass in the band, not that having two bona-fide fighters would be a bad thing though.

Jim Lahde
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:46 pm

I've read quite a bit of Kent's shit over the years. He's full of it as usual.

Scott, afraid of James (or just about anyone else)? Riiiiight. Scott's badass stare alone was enough to keep people in line. That, and he's quite handy with the needle-nose pliers, so it wouldn't pay to fuck with him. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:52 pm

Hey Jim,

Long time no talk. How are you?

I never saw any member of the band have a phyical fight. Verbal,yes but never a drag out fight.I never saw any black eyes or anything.The aggresion shown on stage and in the audience during a show was kept to just that.

There was an issue in Ohio when they played with the British group Slade. Two of the guys were drunk and before the show started they were threatening to kick ass in thick British accents. Nothing ever came of it.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitimeFri Jul 03, 2009 12:37 am

Thanks Natalie
Great to chat with ya, your knowledge of the band is priceless.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Williamson's stage presence   Williamson's stage presence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Williamson's stage presence
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: