Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Th first day of practice

Go down 
+28
sway
Rob Gallucci
napalm_cheetah
dorianmode
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
trailerborn
Nadja
Natalie
don_vercetti
Radish
gazatthebop
MJG196
james matlock
Avenging Robot
freemind
dereksee
popmansam
sweet_sixteen
Cherry
Loco Mosquito
soldier
jimmyo
TED
homesickjameswilliamson
adams66
Loose1969
studioguy
cb
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

Th first day of practice - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 10:44 am

sway wrote:
i prefer ron's playin (most of the time) to james'...simply because there is a certain naturalness/artsiness to it...something incredibly unique.

however....ive got a gut feeling this new line up of the stooges is gonna kick the last ones ass...considering all the hostility from the past...and all the emotion behind the recent death of a stooge...theres a LOT to play off of. theres a lot to be inspired by.

im excited, and thats that.

james is a no bullshit type of guy....if his old ways have stuck with him, hes not gonna settle for anything half assed.

...just, my opinion.

Ditto

Everybody always seems to forget the Ron was also one hell of a GREAT bass player on Raw Power, whenever I play bass I do it from a Ron Asheton point of view. His line were very lyrical, and non standard.

I think the hard feeling inside the band went away a long time ago, but us as fans keep it going.

No offense to "The Weirdness" but James would never put that out and hopefully he's got 35 years of pent up songs waiting for us.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 12:14 pm

ron was a guy that was happy to being playing w/ his old band again...a band he realized the full potential of...a band he loved.

he also NEEDED to play in some sense. from what i gather the dude wasnt exactly "financially set". i could be wrong.

james...doesnt have to do it. while im POSITIVE hes happy to play again, i dont think hes going to just settle for anything.

good things are in the works.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:25 pm

[quote="Natalie"]

Among the newer fans, it seems like there is the Ron camp and the James camp. Back in the day, some of the best shows were when Ron and James both played guitar. When Ron switched to bass, bruised feelings aside, Ron or James did not let it affect their artistry or the music.

quote]

I'm aware of this... & the only negative thing I've ever found about being a stooges fan is this idea of the Ron camp/James camp. Just because you praise one it doesn't mean that you're deliberately putting down the other, but that is sometimes assumed!
music-wise, everyone else is automatically second-best to Ron for me. That sure isn't going to change. But to repeat myself just for a change Laughing ...as I tried to say in my previous post, I definitely think now that James getting back on board with the Stooges is absolutely the best thing that could've happened after Ron, and it has!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:30 pm

studioguy wrote:
[
Everybody always seems to forget the Ron was also one hell of a GREAT bass player on Raw Power, .

No, I don't forget that.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 11:34 pm

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Natalie wrote:
I am looking forward to this incarnation since it is the best we will get.

Same here. This incarnation is better than nothing. Cool

Agreed. I didn't say they shouldn't get together with James again.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 9:52 am

The only thing that had me disturbed about this forum is the perception of Ron vs James. I fully understand that it comes from one's perspective of when you discovered the Stooges and the chronogical balance of the songs you loved first.

This Ron vs James has baffled me since I first became aware of it. In my day Iggy got all the attention and only the people close to the band were ever aware that there were hurt feelings. It bothered me that Iggy was known and not much attention was ever paid to anybody else. I even did a rant about it in one of the fanzines. I think we all need to get with the program now.

It does not matter who you like better. We are all Stooge fans and we love and respect their music. There will never be another Ron. He was unique and passionate about his music. His style is so distinctive that we remain talking about it months after his passing. But his music lives on in our hearts and ears. Nobody can ever take that away.

I think it is time to let the rivalry go. Obviously, Iggy and Scott have.
It is time for James to be heard again.

Okay , I have had my say and I feel better.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:22 pm

im glad james is playing again, too...

however, people naturally have favorites. and considering the very obvious differences in musical approach (between james + ron), as well as knowledge concerning stooge history/inner turmoil that is easily accessible today that wasnt "back in the day"...its only natural for some people to feel a need to pick sides.

i used to hate james williamson. i also used to not understand the utter chaotic beauty that is indeed raw power.

the first two albums do indeed sound very different than raw power. it took me a while to realize that "the stooges" were, and still are, a very different band than "iggy and the stooges". different ideas, different approaches in music.

iggy understands this all too well...as did ron. ron himself stated that raw power was ultimately "iggy's first solo album". while i dont completely feel that way about it (my take on "solo album" differs that most) i still totally understand what ron was getting at.

while i do like the first two stooges albums the best (they were the first i heard/learned to appreciate), the older i get the more i love raw power as well. it truely was an amazing band.

...maybe ron was right. the stooges (ron + scotty) just happened to be james and iggy's back up musicians on that third record.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 5:25 pm

The very first time I heard the stooges' first three albums, I didn't know anything about the history, the issues, then. I was just rather miffed that 'Raw Power' didn't sound like the first two.
IMO James' best work isn't to be found on the Raw Power album anyway, with the exception of 'I need somebody'. I really prefer other stuff, like 'Open up and bleed', 'Pinpoint eyes', 'Gimme some skin', etc. And it's absolutely intriguing to think what new material he's going to come up with! That's really something to look forward to.
And, alongside of that, hopefully they won't forget all about the new material Ron and Scott started working on last year too.
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Can´t we just leave this never ending question about James vs Ron? Everything is part of the Stooges history and that is part of the music we all here love.

Long live the Stooges!
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 5:56 pm

iggy-fan wrote:
Can´t we just leave this never ending question about James vs Ron? Everything is part of the Stooges history and that is part of the music we all here love.

Long live the Stooges!

Exactly, iggy-fan! Enough said
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:04 pm

JW82 and iggy-fan - that's the whole point: 'James VERSUS Ron' instead of James AND Ron. Mention Ron and James in the same breath and immediately some people start construing it as a conflict between the two, instead of a discussion about both. Now THAT is boring.
And what's more natural than to talk about the ins and outs of a band you love? The history, the present, the future? If you don't like the discussion don't read it.

Last edited by Nadja on Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Quote :
And, alongside of that, hopefully they won't forget all about the new material Ron and Scott started working on last year too.

yeh i just remembered about that the other day, i really hope something comes of this, or that they dont just 'keep it in the vaults' or let it rot or something, i hope they either integrate it into new material, use the riffs/drum patterns for new material, or just fix it up and release it as a 'for fans' EP kinda thing along with a new album - wishful thinking maybe, i should stop though, they've only just announced the first two dates lol

as far as this ron v james thing goes, i've been back and forth, thats the way i listen to music or how i get into music, i've had periods for eveything, hippie/psychedelic music, folk, blues, punk, etc etc etc, i've been loads of different people musically, but i think i've reached a plateau, where i can listen to all these artists and genres together and thats my musical taste, its not just blues or just punk its everything

anyway, i used to be a pro-james guy, and i should stress as Nadja has pointed out, it wasnt ''james is better, ron sucks" mentality, it was a ''i like raw power better" at least at that time, then i started listening to the first two albums, they were hard to get into ,i didnt initally get them, its not that i didnt like them - or that i did, it was just this strange music that i didnt know how to process, adn the fact that i couldnt process it made me want to, thats where i learnt to persevere with music, instead of just saying after 30seconds of listening ''nah, i dont like this" as so many of my friends do, which irks me as they're missing out on so much (i didnt initially like blues ''too slow'', dylan ''boring''', beatles ''they're no stones'' or punk ''just fast noise"- but i persevered)

anyway, i started with the best of CD penetration, got the million in prizes anthology (not a good place to start with iggy lol) then the first two albums, then raw power, then i thought that was it - i remember listening to raw power thinking "i cant believe this is the last 'new' stooges song i'll hear (new to my ears at least) - then i found cock in my pocket on one of those p2p download things - and the other side of the stooges caught me -thats where i fell in love with the stooges, songs like i got a right, gimme some skin, wild love, til the end of the night, rubber legs and open up and bleed, opened my eyes, i hadnt heard anything like it before, i knew it was a r'n'b inspired rock n roll, but i'd never heard it done like this, so thats where the james obsession came from

so i started listening to everyhitng, loved the three albums then skull ring, loved it all, never considered it two bands, but i considered it two sides, well more like 7 sides, of one band (7 is just a random number btw)

then i heard the stooges were touring, with Ron, and i got please kill me and all the books and read everything and then just fell in love with the band, they became a part of me, i always say on the board, that its not like a usual 'i like this band' kinda thing, the stooges/iggy arent just my favourite band, or music i think no-one else can make, its like a limb, its like my leg, if i didnt have it i dont konw who i'd be or where i'd be - wherever it would be it would be an unhappy place (reminds me of a video interview i watched with the new york dolls johansen and sylvain on youtube, and they asked them what do think of bands like the stooges nad MC5, and did they inspire you? and johansen replied with something like, wouldnt the world be a sad, desperate place without the stooges? - and i have to agree, i still consider popular, contemporary music 'elvis - dylan - beatles -stones - stooges, and they're the last major band to inspire everyone whether they know them or not)

anyway, maybe because of please kill me, which isnt exactly kind to james, i 'joined' the Ron camp, i always appreciated the music but after i saw them for the first time, thats when i 'woke up' to how good he was, the man was astounding, the way his hands moved, the sound the guitar made, it was incredible, i couldnt believe it, and since then i've been listening to raw power and post raw power on and off, but mostly the first two albums, then i got funhouse sessions and that made me appreciate the whole band as a band and individually, dave's bass, scotts drumming, iggys singing and lyrics, and of course Ron's guitar

this recent incarnation has got me listening to 'iggy and the stooges' RP and post RP again, and its quite amazing, i still cant believe the sound that band made, but i've never been a part of the the 'i like ron better i like james better', although its always a good dynamic to have i guess, but its all one amazing band

thats why i love this band, the music they make, the discussions they create, everyhting, and listening to the 1971 stuff just blows me away, not only for the music which is amazing, but also because they did SO much, in so little a time and with virtually NO recognition, even today they're properly revered, but i think they should be a household name, like i said it goes, elvis, dylan, beatles, stones - thats what most people know, but i think now they should know the name STOOGES!

sorry for the rant lol, thats just my take, i'll leave it now

HJW
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:09 pm

To me it's just like Hendrix vs. Chuck Berry:i dig 'em both!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 7:16 pm

It's all good. That's all I have to add. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Nadja wrote:
JW82 and iggy-fan - that's the whole point: 'James VERSUS Ron' instead of James AND Ron. Mention Ron and James in the same breath and immediately some people start construing it as a conflict between the two, instead of a discussion about both. Now THAT is boring.
And what's more natural than to talk about the ins and outs of a band you love? The history, the present, the future?

James did 5 songs from Ron's era at the gig with Careless Hearts. I think that was a beautiful tribute to Ron. Btw, of course it's very natural to talk about the ins and outs of the band you love. However IMHO, sometimes these debates sound like never ending stories.

Nadja wrote:
If you don't like the discussion don't read it

"I gotta right to read anytime I want" Smile

And I will repeat what Loose said once..Stooges are BACK, hell yeah

Last edited by JW82 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 7:38 pm

yes we all know they're back, so no need to repeat that either!

ok, I'm gonna take a break from boring everyone Laughing
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 8:01 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/07/iggy-stooges-raw-power

Iggy Pop has reunited with guitarist James Williamson, re-forming the Stooges' early-70s lineup to play their legendary album Raw Power at two shows next year.

Williamson remembers Iggy calling him earlier this year, while he was in his dentist's parking lot. The pair had not spoken in two decades. "[Iggy] asked me if I wanted to play guitar again," Williamson told Rolling Stone. "I was about to take early retirement from my job in Silicon Valley, so I figured 'What the hell, let's do it.'"

This weekend, Williamson played his first concert since the Stooges broke up in 1974. It was with San Jose band Careless Hearts, with whom he has been jamming since Iggy made that call. Williamson also practised with the Stooges – minus Iggy – in Los Angeles in August. Those rehearsals will resume on 20 September, this time with Iggy at the microphone. Mike Watt, formerly of the Minutemen, has replaced the late Ron Asheton on bass. "We're rehearsing songs from Raw Power, The Stooges, Fun House and Kill City," Williamson said. "It kind of naturally came back to me."

This is no small miracle. Iggy and Williamson had a "blowout" during sessions for Iggy's 1980 album, Soldier. Williamson quit music, moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, and got into computers. For the last 12 years, he worked at Sony's technology standards office – hardly touching the guitar. Though a few years ago Williamson bought a Hawaiian slack-key guitar, "that's a whole different style of music". "It's been quite a job to dust off my rock'n'roll chops," he admitted.

Williamson still has some time. The re-formed Stooges have booked only two concerts, to play Raw Power at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival in May 2010. They plan to play more dates, however, and Williamson is even looking to record new material. "The two of us have a long history of writing new tunes," he said. "It's probably a safe bet we will at some point."

------

just got this from the guarian.co.uk, i cant remember which thread had discussion about if/when iggy would join the other guys in practice, this states it as 20th Sept

hope that helps

HJW
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 11:27 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
.[/b] Mike Watt, formerly of the Minutemen, has replaced the late Ron Asheton on bass.
Question
think they got kind of mixed up there...!
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 2:01 pm

No, they are looking at the line up of Iggy and the stooges, where Ron played bass. So if you look at it that way we are having iggy & the stooges now, where Ron is replaced on bass by Mike Watt
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 2:47 pm

Lucas wrote:
No, they are looking at the line up of Iggy and the stooges, where Ron played bass. So if you look at it that way we are having iggy & the stooges now, where Ron is replaced on bass by Mike Watt
oh yes, of course...my mistake!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Th first day of practice   Th first day of practice - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Th first day of practice
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: