Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology

Go down 
+5
krugersoldier
larry fine
mc
JW82
ElRoi
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Empty
PostSubject: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:55 pm

I am compiling my own personal "Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology" project. I have culled together what I see as the most important material from the best possible sources. Here's the list, if I am missing something good PLEASE feel free to suggest any addition that might improve this collection. And yes, I am aware there is some overlap in some of the material:

The Stooges (2 CD DELUXE EDITION)
Fun House (2 CD DELUXE EDITION)
You Don't Want My Name (4 CD collection from Easy Action)
Raw Power (REMASTERED EDITION)
More Power 1972-1973 (2 CD collection from Cleopatra Records)
Original Punks (2 CD collection from Demon Music)
Heavy Liquid (6 CD collection from Easy Action)
Michigan Palace 10/6/73 (BOMP Records)
Metallic KO (2 CD DELUXE EDITION from Skydog)
Kill City (BOMP Records)
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:05 pm

You might check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stooges_discography and add e.g.
Wild Love: The Detroit Rehearsals and More (BOMP Records)

Last edited by JW82 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Chuck More Power in the bin and get Live at the Whisky 16/9/73. It has the best versions of Open Up and Bleed and She Creatures of Hollywood Hills that exist so far.

Am hoping that Atlanta 73 might have versions that top these Smile
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks, I will definitely check that out, However, is the "Detroit Rehearsals" portion the same the material on the "Heavy Liquid" collection?

Oh, how could I forget "The Weirdness"
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:15 pm

mc wrote:
Chuck More Power in the bin and get Live at the Whisky 16/9/73. It has the best versions of Open Up and Bleed and She Creatures of Hollywood Hills that exist so far.

Am hoping that Atlanta 73 might have versions that top these Smile

Thanks, I had looked at the Whiskey CD, but was sure if the sound quality was any good. I guess I'm ordering that one now. However, is that the same material on "Heavy Liquid" that is dated 09/17/73 from the Whiskey? Is there nothing on "More Power" that is not on the other stuff on my list?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:23 pm

More Power has horrible bastardised versions of Stooges classics that you can get elsewhere. Whoever decided to add drum machine to most of these tracks should be strung up by the balls.

Yeah you get the best of the Detroit rehearsals on EA's Heavy Liquid I wouldn't bother with Wild Love, Til the End of the Night.

The Whisky CD available as Live in LA73 or Live at the Whisky is my favorite live Raw Power era Stooges disk.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:27 pm

mc wrote:
More Power has horrible bastardised versions of Stooges classics that you can get elsewhere. Whoever decided to add drum machine to most of these tracks should be strung up by the balls.

Yeah you get the best of the Detroit rehearsals on EA's Heavy Liquid I wouldn't bother with Wild Love, Til the End of the Night.

The Whisky CD available as Live in LA73 or Live at the Whisky is my favorite live Raw Power era Stooges disk.

So the '73 Whiskey material on Heavy Liquid is not the same as BOMP '73 Whiskey disc?
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:29 pm

ElRoi wrote:
Thanks, I had looked at the Whiskey CD, but was sure if the sound quality was any good. I guess I'm ordering that one now. However, is that the same material on "Heavy Liquid" that is dated 09/17/73 from the Whiskey? Is there nothing on "More Power" that is not on the other stuff on my list?

There is a Stooges Live at The Whisky 1973 CD from June, I think, that has Bob Scheff (sp?) on piano. The Whisky CD featured in the Heavy Liquid box is from October 1973 and has Scott Thurston on keys. I prefer the band with Thurston and I'm not sure there is a great difference in sound/recording quality.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:32 pm

larry fine wrote:
ElRoi wrote:

There is a Stooges Live at The Whisky 1973 CD from June, I think, that has Bob Scheff (sp?) on piano. The Whisky CD featured in the Heavy Liquid box is from October 1973 and has Scott Thurston on keys. I prefer the band with Thurston and I'm not sure there is a great difference in sound/recording quality.

Thanks. I guess I should have asked all this before I started buy all the none studios stuff, huh?
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 8:46 pm

mc wrote:
More Power has horrible bastardised versions of Stooges classics that you can get elsewhere.

I hadn't noticed this. Do you what tracks are altered?

mc wrote:
larry fine wrote:

So who are the Whiskey and LA shows put out by? Any idea what the titles are?
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:01 pm

Well you need to find the original mix Raw Power CD, in spite of its drawbacks its in my opinion the most important Stooges recording of all.
The Whisky stuff is on California Bleeding i think ? from Bomp but im not a date nerd so it could be another show.

Just my 2 cents but trying to find the best sources of sludge is sort of missing the point. The reason i always loved Metallic KO and years later stuff like Double Danger is precisely because the recording quality is so freakily bad Smile
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:15 pm

krugersoldier wrote:
Well you need to find the original mix Raw Power CD, in spite of its drawbacks its in my opinion the most important Stooges recording of all.
The Whisky stuff is on California Bleeding i think ? from Bomp but im not a date nerd so it could be another show.

Just my 2 cents but trying to find the best sources of sludge is sort of missing the point. The reason i always loved Metallic KO and years later stuff like Double Danger is precisely because the recording quality is so freakily bad Smile

Thanks. When I said best source I just meant that there are a couple of different sources for the same material that have varying degrees of quality. For instance, the BOMP issued Michigan Palace 10/6/73 and Disc 2 of the Skydog Metallic KO are the same Michigan show, but have markedly different sounds. Some people might say that the BOMP version is beter, while others might like the Skydog version better. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:46 pm

ElRoi wrote:
mc wrote:

So the '73 Whiskey material on Heavy Liquid is not the same as BOMP '73 Whiskey disc?

The Whisky stuff on Heavy Liquid is not released on any other CD.

Bomp put out a variety of Whisky tracks from different dates on their California Bleeding CD which is very good, but none of this is from the Whisky 16/9/73 show I was referring to as having my favorite Open Up... & She Creatures.

The Whisky 16/9/73 show as far as I know is only Revenge CD as Live at the Whisky and on Snapper CD as Live in LA73 with one extra track at the end - Heavy Liquid from another night at the Whisky. I've compared the Revenge and Snapper CDs and they sound exactly the same.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:50 pm

mc wrote:
ElRoi wrote:
mc wrote:

Bomp put out a variety of Whisky tracks from different dates on their California Bleeding CD which is very good, but none of this is from the Whisky 16/9/73 show I was referring to as having my favorite Open Up... & She Creatures.

The Whisky 16/9/73 show as far as I know is only Revenge CD as Live at the Whisky and on Snapper CD as Live in LA73 with one extra track at the end - Heavy Liquid from another night at the Whisky. I've compared the Revenge and Snapper CDs and they sound exactly the same.

Hope that helps.

Yes., this helps greatly. And ytou mentioned there is an "Atlanta 73" show? Has that been issued by anyone?
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:57 pm

mc wrote:

This is not true. An easy mistake to make since the Heavy Liquid box liner notes claim it is previously unreleased. These tracks have been put out several times. I have some or all of the tracks on various Bomp (and other) releases. Sometimes they are labeled as being shows other than what they are.

I can always spot these tapes because I was standing only a couple of feet from the guy who taped it and I can hear myself and my friends commenting, etc. throughout the tape.

All that being said - the H.L. box has about the best versions of the tape. They did a marvelous job cleaning up the audio, etc. I believe they also state that their CD is from the original tapes. This, too, would be untrue. A friend of mine has the original and we recently digitized it ourselves.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:07 pm

larry fine wrote:
mc wrote:

This is not true. An easy mistake to make since the Heavy Liquid box liner notes claim it is previously unreleased. These tracks have been put out several times. I have some or all of the tracks on various Bomp (and other) releases. Sometimes they are labeled as being shows other than what they are.

I can always spot these tapes because I was standing only a couple of feet from the guy who taped it and I can hear myself and my friends commenting, etc. throughout the tape.

All that being said - the H.L. box has about the best versions of the tape. They did a marvelous job cleaning up the audio, etc. I believe they also state that their CD is from the original tapes. This, too, would be untrue. A friend of mine has the original and we recently digitized it ourselves.

Hi Larry, will the show you digitized be getting a CD release? I haven't bought Heavy Liquid as I have more than half of it on other releases - the one disk I would really like is the Whisky one, so if you're gonna put out a 1st gen version that would be great.

And what CD releases do you think the 'Heavy Liquid' Whisky show is already on?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:13 pm

ElRoi wrote:

Yes., this helps greatly. And ytou mentioned there is an "Atlanta 73" show? Has that been issued by anyone?[/quote]

It's not out yet. Scotty mentions it in this interview: http://www.montrealmirror.com/2008/073108/music2.html
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:45 pm

mc wrote:
ElRoi wrote:
It's not out yet. Scotty mentions it in this interview: http://www.montrealmirror.com/2008/073108/music2.html

That is killer. I'm from just north of Atlanta, so to have a live Stooges show from here would be sweet. Do you know the name of the venue and what is the sound quality. I mean in relation to some of the stuff that has mentioned?
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:52 pm

mc wrote:
larry fine wrote:
A friend of mine has the original and we recently digitized it ourselves.

Hi Larry, will the show you digitized be getting a CD release? I haven't bought Heavy Liquid as I have more than half of it on other releases - the one disk I would really like is the Whisky one, so if you're gonna put out a 1st gen version that would be great.

Yes Larry, do tell. We should attempt to compile a definative catalog of all the various identical releases and attempt to determine the best source of all them. Then you would be able to compile the ultimate anthology without any omissions or overlaps.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:42 am

mc wrote:

I know there is a track or two on Bomp's Open Up & Bleed. There are tracks on a couple of other Bomp releases. as well. Greg Shaw had a copy of this tape long before he began buying tapes from Williamson. I think there may be tracks on California Bleeding. I don't own all of the various permutations of these live tapes so it's difficult for me to remember. I know I do own a CD that claims to be from NYC or San Fran or somewhere and it is the same Whisky tape that Easy Action put out.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:50 am

mc wrote:
Hi Larry, will the show you digitized be getting a CD release?

Well, it's been put out already and I'm not a bootlegger and it's not my tape and there are any number of reasons that I wouldn't do it. There are dozens of these quasi-legal releases and one more would just get lost in the racks.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:56 am

ElRoi wrote:
mc wrote:
ElRoi wrote:

That is killer. I'm from just north of Atlanta, so to have a live Stooges show from here would be sweet. Do you know the name of the venue and what is the sound quality. I mean in relation to some of the stuff that has mentioned?

Poor Richard's. Qualitywise I only know what I read in that interview.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 am

larry fine wrote:
mc wrote:
Hi Larry, will the show you digitized be getting a CD release?

Well, it's been put out already and I'm not a bootlegger and it's not my tape and there are any number of reasons that I wouldn't do it. There are dozens of these quasi-legal releases and one more would just get lost in the racks.

Yes, you're probably right. I didn't mean for you to bootleg it, was just wondering if your friend, the owner, was considering it.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 5:23 pm

krugersoldier wrote:

Is this version the 1993 Sony release?
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 7:19 pm

mc wrote:

Hope that helps.

Do you know if the "Live in LA 73" listed on Amazon as being released by
Original Masters UK is merely a UK re-release of the Snapper release?

http://www.amazon.com/Live-L-73-Iggy-Pop/dp/B000006PYR/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1253117468&sr=8-2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology   Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ultimate Iggy & The Stooges Anthology
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next