Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast

Go down 
+13
Tyronehell
saichan
TED
ElRoi
krugersoldier
trailerborn
james matlock
cb
sway
dereksee
napalm_cheetah
Joecephus
studioguy
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Empty
PostSubject: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 12:14 am

Watt from Pedro Show

Our own Derek See is there also
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Joecephus

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 1:03 am

nice
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 am

Joecephus wrote:
nice

That interview made me very hungry!
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 2:13 am

studioguy wrote:
Joecephus wrote:
nice

haha I know what you mean Very Happy.

Great interview so far.
Did I just hear that derek had heard a recording from the kings cross gig? Shocked
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:01 am

napalm_cheetah wrote:
studioguy wrote:
Joecephus wrote:
nice

haha I know what you mean Very Happy.

Great interview so far.
Did I just hear that derek had heard a recording from the kings cross gig? Shocked

I heard that too, very cool if that's true. I've never seen that anywhere.
Back to top Go down
dereksee

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:14 am

Sorry for the possible excitement about a London tape. I went back to my cassette archives and the tape labelled as London 72 is just a rehash of 15m of a Whiskey gig. Ahhh the old days of tape trading and bogus/ mislabelled tapes.
Back to top Go down
http://dereksdaily45.blogspot.com
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 10:41 am

dereksee wrote:
Sorry for the possible excitement about a London tape. I went back to my cassette archives and the tape labelled as London 72 is just a rehash of 15m of a Whiskey gig. Ahhh the old days of tape trading and bogus/ mislabelled tapes.

I know what you mean for sure.

If the Kings Cross show ever turns up that would be quite the event!!
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 11:52 am

great interview. thanks.
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 12:27 pm

I really enjoyed that -- a new perspective on the old story cheers
Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com
james matlock

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:39 pm

is that "shake appeal" from the new reissue? Watt mentions that it was a remaster that JW had given him.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:44 pm

james matlock wrote:
is that "shake appeal" from the new reissue? Watt mentions that it was a remaster that JW had given him.

If you listen to the very end, I think he plays Death Trip and says the same thing about a re-master,
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:06 pm

I wonder if these remasters will be part of the big Raw Power reissue next year? It seems to be getting the deluxe treatment.

Nice to hear JW's side of things for a change. He was always glaringly absent from most of the bios and articles. Relevatory stuff and I loved Watt's muso questions.

I'd love a follow-up someday that got more into the '73/74 LA period: shopping tapes to Eno & Elton, Murder of the Virgin, Manzarek, Kim Fowley etc. He must have zillions of great stories.

He confirmed my suspicions about the 'Soldier' debacle. I love a lot of their albums, but the 76-78 UK punks were'nt that proficient. Just listen to 'Heroin Hates You' fr'instance.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:30 pm

As a Stooges nerd I have a correction to something James says on the interview, he is asked if its Scott Thurston or Bob Sheff on the studio version of Cock in my pocket, he says it was Thurston, but on the Rubber Legs recording you can clearly hear Iggy say "take it Bob" before the piano comes in.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Wow that version of Death Trap is stunning, the remaster of Raw Power will be the greatest CD of all time Smile
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 7:04 pm

krugersoldier I hear ya, but if you're talking about the Columbia 'Rubber Legs' version, maybe Iggy just misspoke? That sure looks like Thurston in background-right of this photo, taken during the Columbia rehearsals.

http://www.trynka.net/Site/OpenUp%26Bleed/918A786F-2332-4B7B-8FE2-9579BDB95BAF.html

Nitebob might be able to answer this one.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 7:08 pm

Could be, knowing Iggy he called Scott Thurston "Bob" to annoy him Smile
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 8:48 pm

studioguy wrote:
Joecephus wrote:
nice

Me too! You know it was some awesome Brazilian food. The place they were eating was playing some good jazz too.

First question: When Mike mentions "Fun House" James refers to "...Bill was a sweet guy, but he couldn't play guitar worth a damn." Then Mike says, "This is the version where they had two guitars."
What is this they are talking about? So there was a version of the band with two guitars that didn't include James? Did this version ever play publicly?

Last edited by ElRoi on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 8:54 pm

That would be the Cheatham/Asheton (gtr) + Zettner (bass) lineup that played Uganos in autumn '70.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 8:57 pm

trailerborn wrote:
That would be the Cheatham/Asheton (gtr) + Zettner (bass) lineup that played Uganos in autumn '70.

Is this written about anywhere and are there recordings of this line-up?
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 9:26 pm

ElRoi wrote:
trailerborn wrote:

Is this written about anywhere and are there recordings of this line-up?

That's the Uganos show that Rhino supposedly has, the show has sort of grown to epic status.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 9:40 pm

So, did anyone here ever see that incarnation of the band or hear the recordings and if so, was Cheatham that bad of a guitar player?
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 1:42 am

Great interview and I love some of the music Mike played.
Back to top Go down
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 2:19 am

trailerborn wrote:
I wonder if these remasters will be part of the big Raw Power reissue next year? It seems to be getting the deluxe treatment.

Nice to hear JW's side of things for a change. He was always glaringly absent from most of the bios and articles. Relevatory stuff and I loved Watt's muso questions.

I'd love a follow-up someday that got more into the '73/74 LA period: shopping tapes to Eno & Elton...

Eno? Really? That's interesting. Can you tell me more?
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Great interview. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 2:33 am

I attended the Columbia rehearsal sessions. Scott Thurston was there. Bob Sceff was not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast   James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James interviewed by Mike Watt in Brazil on his podcast
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next