Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes

Go down 
+14
studioguy
TED
jerrythebarman
Petrie Terrace
adams66
LuckyMonkey
Garageman
andrew
mc
pernil
neven
mark
trailerborn
ElRoi
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
LuckyMonkey

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-09-18

Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 1:41 pm

Richard.
Thanks for the enlightenment re - "Rock Action".

Presumably the tapes Mogane had were the ones sold on to BOMP?
Anyone know for sure?
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:10 pm

mc wrote:
could these tapes still be with Tony de Fries? I know he freaked over them. Maybe he just filed them away and forgot about them.

Possibly they are files away with all of Natalie's photos and fan club stuff that he never returned to her. Are such people so busy or self-absorbed that they never even consider all the material they possibly have socked away somewhere. I wish someone who knows some of these individuals who may have possession of such materials would contact them and explain to them that there are numerous fans out here that would be very grateful if they would take a few minutes of their time to dig up said materials. I know there are legal ramification involved in releasing some of this stuff, but I would hope they would just realize that they probably aren't going to make a fortune on most of this stuff and just let someone who cares have it.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 8:18 pm

Bomp's tapes, for the most part, were bought by Greg from James Williamson post-Stooges, as a job-lot. Mid-seventies some time, if I remember rightly.
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 9:26 pm

Yeah, that's what I understood as well. I did a couple trades with Greg Shaw in the 80's and received two C-90s of Stooges rehearsals, most, if not all of which, have now ended up released on various BOMP titles. He said they came from James. The only odd thing is that I think they also included a few of the "Iggy and guitar" jams and we now know that wasn't James on guitar. Wonder who that guitar player was ? Perhaps that's been covered here on another thread.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Jerry. Interesting, re the Iggy & guitar tracks, that has been covered, or touched on, in a few other threads. But not with any definitive answer as to who it actually is. I never questioned that it was anyone but James, until James said it wasn't, haha.

Greg did have quite a stash of Stooges stuff, though I'm guessing most of it was released in the end. I remember being in his warehouse back in the eighties and him playing me a live tape and asking, in a leading way, "Who do you think this is?" I said it sounded exactly like the Stooges, but I didn't recognize the songs, and the singer didn't sound like Iggy. He said he'd got it as a Stooges tape, but that he'd have to run it by Ron to make sure. No idea if he ever did. That one's been a mystery to me for years, I finally came to the idea that maybe it was the Wamplers Lake/Punch Andrews club show, without Iggy & James, but who knows for sure? So he still had a few tricks left up his Iguana Chronicles sleeve, haha.
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Hmmm, good story Petrie. Yeah, I only dealt with Greg a couple of times, then I ran out of stuff that he wanted ! Got a lot of good shows from him that are now common of course-MC5, Dolls, Teenage Lust. I'm gonna have to dig out the cassettes and try cross-referencing against the various Bomp releases, though that'd be quite an undertaking and, as you said, I'm pretty certain everything on those tapes has been released. Why wouldn't they have been ? And, come to think of it, I think the Wampler's Lake show might have been on another tape I received from a different trader who got it from Greg. Your anecdote's got me thinking.....
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:44 pm

The thick plottens .......... affraid
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Speaking of BOMP released Stooges material, which ones should all Stooges aficionado have in their collection? I have these:

Rough Power
Michigan Palace 10/6/73
Double Danger
Wild Love
Kill City

Are there any other necessary releases that aren't circumvented by the Easy Action releases or other labels?
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 pm

TED wrote:

That's why the knowledgeable members of the forum should band together to assemble an all encompassing, definitive anthology of all Stooges releases in some sort of chart or something that would not only outline all the overlapping releases, but also suggest which ones are the best quality ones. It would also fill in the gaps by including all the known and speculated missing material. I know there has been several attempts at this, but I don't think there is a really definitive charting anywhere out there.

Damian.H likes this post

Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:10 pm

Can't help you there Elroi, I never really kept up with the cd issues of things. I can say for certain that there's a tape of the WABX show some of the Rough Power tracks are taken from that's way better quality than the cd. Funnily enough I think I bought my copy of it from Ted, or an associate of his, twenty plus years ago, haha. It's certainly good enough quality to give the lie to Iggy's claim that "the bass was never recorded properly" on Raw Power.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:11 pm

ElRoi wrote:
TED wrote:

That's why the knowledgeable members of the forum should band together to assemble an all encompassing, definitive anthology of all Stooges releases in some sort of chart or something that would not only outline all the overlapping releases, but also suggest which ones are the best quality ones. It would also fill in the gaps by including all the known and speculated missing material. I know there has been several attempts at this, but I don't think there is a really definitive charting anywhere out there.

That's a really good idea!! There's so much confusion and misinformation about these recordings.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 11:25 pm

jerrythebarman wrote:
I'm gonna have to dig out the cassettes and try cross-referencing against the various Bomp releases, though that'd be quite an undertaking and, as you said, I'm pretty certain everything on those tapes has been released. Why wouldn't they have been ?

I have some of the Stooges rehearsals on cassette, and I went through such an excercise a while ago. It is covered in this thread:-

https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com/jesus-loves-the-stooges-f1/revenge-and-bomp-releases-which-ones-are-still-needed-t1332.htm

I was mainly cross-referencing to the Heavy Liquid boxed set, but also to the Bomp releases for stuff that wasn't on Heavy Liquid. I also expected to find that everything had been released, but to my surprise there were some unreleased complete takes on there. I've said it before, but I'd like to see someone take Bomp's original tapes and put the whole of them out as a nice package, incomplete takes and all, much like the Funhouse sessions. There are quite a few problems with the existing releases, some of which are taken from nth generation copies, with the wrong tape speed or parts of tracks missing etc etc.

If you have any tapes other than the ones I have, I for one would be very interested if you were prepared to go through a similar cross referencing execrcise for those.

Andrew

Damian.H likes this post

Back to top Go down
merkin

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 5:26 am

I remember reading an interview with Iggy (mid 80s?) where he mentioned that he had bought all those tapes back off Greg Shaw which would explain why Bomp pretty much kept releasing the same stuff over and over again. Can't remember the magazine but i remember him reciting the lyrics to Gimme Some Skin- "Typhoid Mary she got soul ...etc" and saying what a great song that was.
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 3:28 pm

Oh!

The plot thickens... did he mean he'd bought back the phyiscal masters, or the actual rights to those tapes? Because if the latter is true, that doesn't tally with the fact that Bomp kept on releasing that stuff way after the mid '80s.

It would be great to know exactly what Bomp does (still) have. Someone needs to do a proper job of releasing those 72 outtakes and 73 rehearsals.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 3:34 pm

I just sent an email over to Tony de Fries, whether he will reply or not, we'll see.
Back to top Go down
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Here's an interview with Frank Meyer, who wrote many of the liner notes for Bomp's Iguana Chronicles, where he briefly talks about Bomp's tapes:-

http://www.i94bar.com/ints/frank_meyer.html
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 9:17 pm

mc wrote:
I just sent an email over to Tony de Fries, whether he will reply or not, we'll see.

Did you enlighten him to the fact that if he was ever going to dig-up and attempt to release any of the Stooges material he possibly has socked away, that now would be his most opportune moment?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 11:45 pm

ElRoi wrote:
mc wrote:

Did you enlighten him to the fact that if he was ever going to dig-up and attempt to release any of the Stooges material he possibly has socked away, that now would be his most opportune moment?

Just trying to make contact first, via his current company's enquiry email address.

He didn't reply to me when I asked about 6 months back how his 'Gods and Gangsters' book was coming along, so I'm not that hopeful, but it's worth another go.
Back to top Go down
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2009 11:57 pm

I hope he gets back to you. Having De Fries and his presence in the ring would be very interesting indeed.
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 12:29 am

Maybe someone with close ties to James (CB or Derek?) could get him in here to throw his recollections on this as well.
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 1:56 am

That would be nice. Again, it would be great to have a chronological listing of all the issued, unissued & fabled Stooges material and the various releases thereof. If for no other reason than to help new fans of the Stooges in attempting to acquired a catalog of their music without frustratingly purchasing the same material several times over. I know personally I have unwittingly purchased the same versions of songs several times.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 11:32 pm

OK. After reading further in Paul's book I have come across another interesting mention. Once the boys made it back to LA they,

"threw themselves into rehearsing at Studio Instrument Rentals, a huge complex on Sunset Boulevard..."

Paul doesn't mention anything about any recordings being made during these rehearsals.
Has anyone ever heard of any?
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 9:39 am

I own 2 invoices with rehearsals. One is with dates 15-20 june 1973 on SIR and the other just 1 day 6 may 1973 in Dress Revue Sound studio. I asked James about them before and he believed it was just rehearsals to upcoming shows in LA. I´ve the exact date and clock noted in my playlist. http://goto.glocalnet.net/igged/Stooges%20Playlist.htm

ElRoi wrote:
OK. After reading further in Paul's book I have come across another interesting mention. Once the boys made it back to LA they,

"threw themselves into rehearsing at Studio Instrument Rentals, a huge complex on Sunset Boulevard..."

Paul doesn't mention anything about any recordings being made during these rehearsals.
Has anyone ever heard of any?
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
kaiserken

kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 2:54 pm

I would love to hear this stuff

Why is ELRoi using my avatar??
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 12:26 am

kaiserken wrote:
Why is ELRoi using my avatar??
Oh. sorry I didn't know you were using that particular image. I have no problem changing it to something else if it bothers you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes   Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trident Studios and R & G Jones rehearsal studio tapes
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next