Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Typical.....

Go down 
+16
MJG196
popmansam
specotron
dorianmode
Rode Hard
Perdu
adams66
mc
TeddyB1018
Shakes
ElRoi
dynamite boogie
Donald
Nadja
napalm_cheetah
homesickjameswilliamson
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:49 pm

The Stooges, Genesis, ABBA Lead the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2010

The Stooges, Genesis and ABBA lead the list of accomplished artists that will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year. The class of 2010 also includes the Hollies and Jimmy Cliff.

Iggy Pop says his band has been patiently awaiting this honor for some time. "We've been rejected seven times, and we would have set a record, I think, if it happened again," the Stooges' frontman tells Rolling Stone. "It started to feel like Charlie Brown and the football. I had about two hours of a strong emotional reaction after hearing the news. It felt like vindication. Then I kind of scratched my head and thought, 'Am I still cool? Or is that over now?' "

Well this was bound to happen i guess after Ron's passing. Hope he's happy about it.

Funny what iggy said though "Am i still cool?" lol
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 4:52 pm

What was your first reaction to the news that the Stooges will be inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010?
Well, very surprised. I didn't think I'd ever see the inside of that neighborhood actually. Probably because the group had a very long outsider history, going back way back before there was ever a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It took us a lot longer to get some sort of general acceptance than probably most people.

You've been eligible for about 15 years or so.
We've been rejected seven times and we would have set a record I think if it happened again. We would have been the record holders I think. The first few times I'd always hear we got nominated about a month after it happened. Then the lag time started decreasing until it'd be the day after, all these people calling me to say "congratulations." It sort of became one of those things like Charlie Brown and the football. And it's always Lucy's idea. I'd run for the damn thing. But somebody every year was nominating us and then it was like, "OK, Stooges, come on, just run and kick the ball." Whoops.

After I got over my sort of "Really? — Yeah really!" I had about two hours of a strong emotional reaction. The same sort I started getting when our group reformed and we started going out and starting playing positive gigs for five, eight, ten thousand people. I don't know what sort of thoughts go into that — I don't know if it's vindication or what. But I went through a couple hours of that and then I kind of scratched my head and thought, "Am I still cool? Or is that over now?" And I'm only successful. But there is the whole angle. There are all these great, great musicians. Everyone I've looked up to was included in that. It's a game and then when all these greats are included and you're not, it sort of says "You're not ...whatever." And then when you are included it's like, "Hey! You're all right. You made something good. You made some good stuff." So I think all that is just very human.

How do you think Ron Asheton, who we lost earlier this year, would feel about it?
It would have meant a lot of him, the Hall of Fame. He waited longer for his success than I did. More than anyone in the group, he was a very stalwart Michigan boy. He was a regular guy and he enjoyed the extent to which some regular folks were getting to know him and his music. And I know his brother too, Scott. I think the last time we got ix-nayed they were telling me, "Oh, we don't give a shit. We don't care." But they do. And I do.

What was it like performing for Madonna two years ago at the induction ceremony?
That was a tough sell with the brothers. More Ron. Ron was like, "What?" I was like, "Listen man, look, if nothing else, 15 percent of the people who see that performance are going to think we got inducted." 'Cause they don't really follow music. Sure enough, on the plane on the way home, one of the stewardesses congratulated me. But mainly I thought it was a chance to play in case we didn't get in ourselves. It also occurred to me that it was a chance to show some of the people that do that thing that we don't have horns. We're not going to bite you.

It's strange to visualize you guys wearing tuxedos and being applauded by the entire industry.
Do they wear tuxedos?

Some people do.
I don't think that's going to happen. I've got one. I can probably drag it out. I've got these things. I'm at the time of life where people sort of kick my up by the collar and exhibit me on various occasions. And when they do they have to give me clothes and then I keep the clothes. So I have a very nice Dior tux.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:00 pm

"The Stooges, Genesis, ABBA" Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:03 pm

fittingly weird end to a strange kind of year! just my feeling..
don't know what to make of the whole stooges phenomenon these days..but I might feel less guilty about singing Abba songs now, lol.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:53 pm

I'm glad for Iggy, he seems quite chuffed.
Back to top Go down
dynamite boogie

dynamite boogie

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2007-07-19

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/redelektra69
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 6:12 pm

The fact that it took a band as influential as the Stooges eight nominations to finally be excepted when ABBA probably got in on their first nomination (I am not positive about this, but it wouldn't surprise me if that were in fact the case) just speaks to the lack of credibility of the whole RnRHoF. They should have been inducted the first time they were nominated or at least the next time around after the reunion. I'm sure it would have meant a lot to Ron to have finally had his contributions to and influence on music recognized by the industry.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:39 pm

as long as Iggys happy i think its fine, if its what he wants

just a pity Ron isnt here to appreciate it

anyway, is this Iggy / and The Stooges or is it The Stooges? - do they do that in the hall of fame? do they have like jimi hendrix and the jimi hendrix experience or what is it?

not to dampen the stooges induction but surely iggy deserves to be inducted as a solo artist, no?
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:07 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
as long as Iggys happy i think its fine, if its what he wants

anyway, is this Iggy / and The Stooges or is it The Stooges? - do they do that in the hall of fame? do they have like jimi hendrix and the jimi hendrix experience or what is it?

well, eric clapton is in the hall of fame - three times. yardbirds, cream + his solo material.

i would personally take this induction as the stooges. not iggy+the stooges, + definitely not iggy pop. every time they were announced as having a chance, it was the stooges, being that the self-titled record was their first.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Quote :
well, eric clapton is in the hall of fame - three times. yardbirds, cream + his solo material.

thats right, i remember reading that thanks shakes

well i still think iggy should be recognised
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 am

On the Sex Pistols, Lydon was full of it. He campaigned flat out to get into the RRHOF within the industry and in LA and was furious when The Clash was inducted before him. The reason The Pistols didn't show up at the ceremony is because is was better publicity than if they had shown up. Joe Strummer's reaction was a bit like Iggy's -- he said he felt like Hank Aaron or something. Of course the RRHOF isn't cool, it's run by Jann Wenner. But it means something to the musicians. I'm glad Ron agreed to play the Madonna songs, even though I didn't really enjoy it. Now he's in there, and at least he'd already done the gig.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 1:54 am

If it means something to Iggy and the band that's cool. For me it makes no difference.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:25 am

TeddyB1018 wrote:
On the Sex Pistols, Lydon was full of it. He campaigned flat out to get into the RRHOF within the industry and in LA and was furious when The Clash was inducted before him. .

haha..
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 pm

Good news I guess for the Stooges. Although they don't need this sort of recognition, it's still kinda nice.
But ABBA - WTF? Rock And Roll????
I guess that this is the ONLY time ABBA and the Stooges will ever share billing...
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:12 pm

Rollercoaster year, this 2009-- Ron Asheton R.I.P., the return of James Williamson, the indeed very public return of James Williamson via Planeta Terra all over Youtube, planned reunion tours confirmed, The Stooges induction into RnR Hall of Fame.

Mike Watt was interviewed recently on KXLU radio in L.A., reminding his far younger listeners of the real difficulties for fans back in the day that used to exist in finding out about, or even hearing examples of your favorite outsider bands before the internet. Think of the rarity of source material discussed on these very forums, versus, as an online acquaintance confessed to me, "I got teary seeing James and Iggy together again, which I never thought I'd see" pretty much a scant few hours after real time watching of Planeta Terra on Youtube.
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:33 pm

[quote="homesickjameswilliamson"]
Quote :

well i still think iggy should be recognised

I ALWAYS thought Iggy should be recognized on his own too, in addition to the whole band. He was what ... 16 when he started his 50 year musical career? And never stopped. Nobody comes close to his live performances to this day either. But since it took this long to get the Stooges inducted, I'm pretty sure we'll never see it.
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:37 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
We've been rejected seven times and we would have set a record I think if it happened again. .

I thought being rejected seven times was a record already?

Anyway, I agree with adams66. The stooges dont really need this kind of recognition but in a way it's still nice.
Back to top Go down
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:21 pm

The fact that a band as influencial as the The Stooges have been turned down 7 times, when garbage non-musicians such as the Dave Clark Five made it in so quickly, indicates the Hall of Fame is an utterly meaningless organization (whether or not they are finally inducted this time or not). Screw them forever.
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:26 pm

The DC5 didnt get in quickly, they started in 1962.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:00 pm

specotron wrote:
The fact that a band as influencial as the The Stooges have been turned down 7 times, when garbage non-musicians such as the Dave Clark Five made it in so quickly, indicates the Hall of Fame is an utterly meaningless organization (whether or not they are finally inducted this time or not). Screw them forever.

Ditto. Not that the DC5 are a particularly good example of this problem. They were actually pretty good. There are other far more glaring examples.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:08 pm

specotron wrote:

I find this statement almost as ridiculous as the Stooges not being included. The DC5 were a MAJOR factor in the Beatles-era Rock N Roll boom.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Problem with the DC5, is much like the Monkees, this band was created from "good-looking" non-musicians to cash in on Beatlemania. Whether or not the real band that recorded their material is good or not is immaterial. It was the group on the cover of the albums that received all the glory with the induction.

And yes, there are more glaring examples of bands that should have never been inducted at all, or at least, not before The Stooges.

Where is Iggy Pop, the solo career? Where is Lou Reed, the solo career? The list goes on and on... the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is about as exciting as mainstream music awards: meaningless.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:44 pm

specotron wrote:
Problem with the DC5, is much like the Monkees, this band was created from "good-looking" non-musicians to cash in on Beatlemania. Whether or not the real band that recorded their material is good or not is immaterial. It was the group on the cover of the albums that received all the glory with the induction.

This is just not true. The DC5 were a working band before they made records. They played live and toured playing real instruments. They wrote songs. I'm not sure where you got this idea from but I'd like to see some kind of proof of this.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:48 pm

Oh, and congrats to the band for finally making it into the R&R HoF.

It's just a damn shame that it happened after Ron passed away. Hopefully they will dedicate the evening / award to him.

You know, he never believed that they would be inducted. He always said that it would be Iggy solo who would go in and that he and Scott and all the rest would have to enjoy it vicariously. I'm glad he was wrong and sad that he's gone and can't enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 12:13 am

It doesn't bother me either way, just a shame Ron didn't see it happen as I think he always wanted it to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Typical..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Typical.....   Typical..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Typical.....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: