Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Writing For The Stooges

Go down 
+5
G, F#, E
sweet_sixteen
krugersoldier
Hectorlovesthestooges
homesickjameswilliamson
9 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Writing For The Stooges Empty
PostSubject: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 pm

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/12/15/iggy-pop-speaks-out-about-raw-power-gigs-new-stooges-music/

When Rolling Stone’s Andy Greene jumped on the phone with Iggy Pop to chat about the Stooges’ induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010, the singer opened up about the current Stooges lineup — with James Williamson back on guitar — and the status of new Stooges tunes. Read Pop’s thoughts on the RRHOF here.

How are things going with James Williamson back on guitar?

When Ron [Asheton] passed away, we had six shows committed for the summer following. And I had built up such a sort of a mission muscle you could call it, around this group, that I just couldn’t think about quitting or not showing up. It was a “nothing will stop us” mentality that I’d adopted that served us well. So I called James, who had accidentally coincidentally called me that year anyway, and asked if he’d do the fill-in. He turned me down for that but we started talking and he said, “Look I’m about to retire next year… rather than buy a Winnebago, I thought I might go out and do some rock & roll.” So it started like that.

It’s been real interesting. He still working for Sony electronics and he belongs to an honorific society, the I.I.E.E, Institute of International Electronic Engineers, who published a very unintentionally funny front-page story in their most recent newsletter saying, “I.I.E.E. member joins Iggy and the Stooges.” Every couple of days, I get calls from him, “I’m in Tel Aviv, I’m in Berlin, I’m in Tokyo…” I sometimes think he’s actually working for the CIA.

For many years I played Stooges songs with every sort of backup musician and they all had to try to pee on [Ron]. Everybody had to put their mark on the thing. James is just trying to play them like Ron would; he does them his own way.

Are you talking about recording new songs with James?
Well, we already wrote one called “Pain in the Ass,” so we got that and were thinking about writing a B side and sticking out a street single. We had a beautiful piece, an acoustic piece that we wrote and didn’t play for anyone, about Ron’s passing. I don’t know if I wanna make that one public or not. We’re doing a little writing while trying to avoid the burden of the major sexagenarian statement. Here it is, what everybody’s just been waiting for: A bunch of guys who are 60 years old, one of whom has 20 studio albums, 69 albums on eBay, makes a new statement and that will cost you plenty of loot.

Are you talking about doing Raw Power straight through? All the songs?
Only for certain shows. Only the ones where that is the condition of our employment. When we were in Brazil, it was “Raw Power,” “Kill City” we played next. Then we did “Search and Destroy,” then “Gimme Danger,” then we threw in one of those older ones called “Cock In My Pocket.” We switched over and did some stuff from Fun House to switch it up a little. They sound bitching. Except “Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell,” that’s the biggest one to chew off. It’s just this diatribe and it’s pretty complicated, so they’re starting work on that in January and then I’m gonna work with them in March and take a deep breath. Try to get that one going.
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 12:47 am

Haha..."Pain in the ass"...that title sounds like a real stooges song. Not like "O sole mio", or "Mexican guy"
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 9:41 am

The fact that they want to try "your pretty face" live is real interesting Stooges news, this is a tough song to play and shows ambition on the old fellas part.
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Iggy's awarness of the band's age and its impact on their music is heartning, I really don't want them to pretend they're still young guys and can pull off old songs the same way.

And i think "sexagenerian" would be a good song title...
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Not sure if I like "Pain In My Ass" as a song title, but it could be fun if done with the humour that's in "Cock In My Pocket". I look forward to hearing it Smile
Back to top Go down
Iggy Stooge

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 11:43 pm

Look forward to hearing it too! Can't wait for the tour this coming year.
Back to top Go down
Cato

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

A live recording from -79 of Your Pretty Face are going to be released in january:

http://www.easyaction.co.uk/detail/CSSPCD004

cato
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 7:00 pm

The Stooges are indeed capable of putting the sex back in sexagenarian... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
jneilnyc

jneilnyc

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Quote :

Are you talking about doing Raw Power straight through? All the songs?

Only for certain shows. Only the ones where that is the condition of our employment.

So how many is that? Just the ATP shows, and London?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jneil.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing For The Stooges   Writing For The Stooges Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Writing For The Stooges
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: