Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

raw power reissue

Go down 
+52
sway
seventeen
soldier
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Lucas
THEWIN
Iggy Stooge
TeddyB1018
jneilnyc
Aku
StoogeFan
Rob Gallucci
Nervousnorvus
boogie
Iguanas
larry fine
sheddy
don_vercetti
TED
Ethan
EmmaUK
coffeepotman
stooges
krugersoldier
MJG196
23rd Express
StoogesFan
mark
G, F#, E
trailerborn
Dark Horse 77
freemind
Monger
the5thramone37
studioguy
neven
Perdu
mc
sweet_sixteen
PineappleExpress
Loose1969
Radiobirdman73
popmansam
Tyronehell
jpod
lucifer
adams66
Natalie
homesickjameswilliamson
Hectorlovesthestooges
Petrie Terrace
dynamite boogie
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

raw power reissue - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 3:20 pm

Perdu wrote:
raw power reissue - Page 5 368324 Okay, listened to the advance cd's in my car (better sound system than home.) Remember, non-musician/non-sound technician here. Rarities disc: I'm intrigued with the "Japanese 45's" mixes of RawP and Search&D: it is possible to hear the individual instruments a little more clearly without any noticable futzing of the overall sound or mixing them into unrecognizability. Wackily enough, the promo material says these will be on actual 45's rather than the cd compilation disc of rarities.

The new RawP disc does sound great indeed. Whatever they did, they did right: nice and screechy/trebly again. Because I'm weird, I'd now love to hear a "Japanese 45" mix of everything now! The live disc has some sort of fuzz/feedback for the first couple of songs interfering with guitar. Iggy only entertains with his "Butterfly McQueen" voice once. Open Up&B has the background vocal mike louder than the singer's, maybe they switched?

Perdu, was just wondering are the Japanese 45 mixes on the end one of the 3 Deluxe promo cds or do they come on their own cd? and have you seen the DVD?
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 am

They are on the advance cd, but the accompanying promo literature claims they'll be separate 45s. The dvd is still being worked on as of this coming week. farao
Back to top Go down
Nervousnorvus

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm

A review of the advance copy (without the dvd) version of the Raw Power Deluxe edition along with some rare photos can be found here:

http://thehoundblog.blogspot.com/

scroll down to Feb. 25th. I couldn't post any tunes as they were watermarked and can be traced back to the owner, sorry, I would have posted I'm Hungry, Doojiman and Hey Peter along w/some of the Atlanta highlights.

I was at the Richard's shows (at least two of the four nights) and I'm pretty sure the tape exists because Capricorn records was taping the opening band-- Hydra on a mobile unit.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 am

Nervousnorvus wrote:
A review of the advance copy (without the dvd) version of the Raw Power Deluxe edition along with some rare photos can be found here:

scroll down to Feb. 25th. I couldn't post any tunes as they were watermarked and can be traced back to the owner, sorry, I would have posted I'm Hungry, Doojiman and Hey Peter along w/some of the Atlanta highlights.

I was at the Richard's shows (at least two of the four nights) and I'm pretty sure the tape exists because Capricorn records was taping the opening band-- Hydra on a mobile unit.

No problem, not long to wait now.

So were you in Atlanta on the night Elton John came on as a gorilla? How did the band react to that?
Back to top Go down
Nervousnorvus

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 4:39 am

BTW on the Live At Richard disc, on Open Up & Bleed Iggy seems to be trading vocals with another singer, can anyone identify the other voice? Scott Thurston or James Williamson?
Back to top Go down
Nervousnorvus

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 am

"So were you in Atlanta on the night Elton John came on as a gorilla? How did the band react to that?"

The band bascially ignored him, Iggy was so high I think he thought he was being attacked by a real gorilla...
Back to top Go down
Dark Horse 77

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 pm

I'm pretty sure it's Scott Thurston.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Hound, I love your blog one of the best places on the interweb, much respect Smile
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 pm

Nervousnorvus wrote:
BTW on the Live At Richard disc, on Open Up & Bleed Iggy seems to be trading vocals with another singer, can anyone identify the other voice? Scott Thurston or James Williamson?

Is it the same voice you hear on Double Danger or Metallic KO? I always thought this was Thurston - but could never be sure. "Ain't gonn'a be the way no more"
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm

It's absolutely Scott Thurston. He was the only other person with a microphone the times I saw them.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 11:56 pm

Some guy who worked on the Reissue had this to say about the bowie mix masters (lifted from Hound Blog comments):

"Worked on the current reissue. Got to listen to the basic tracks. It's 16 track. They used about 10 for the basics and a few more for overdubs. The performances are quite consistent. There is nothing wrong with the recording of the bass and drums.
My associate was deeply involved with Iggy's remix and its digital distortion. Makes him cringe."
Back to top Go down
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:02 am

There is nothing wrong with the recording of the bass and drums.

Alléluia !
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:17 am

freemind wrote:

Alléluia !

The big question is will we actually get to hear these tracks properly in the mix.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:47 am

I have heard them and all I can say is, you will hear them much better than ever before!
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 1:39 am

I've read comments suggesting the Deluxe edition pre-order is available, but I can't see it on the website. Anyone know when the ordering option is to become available?
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 4:34 am

Natalie wrote:
I have heard them and all I can say is, you will hear them much better than ever before!

That's ALL I needed to hear! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 3:55 pm

My associate was deeply involved with Iggy's remix and its digital distortion. Makes him cringe."[/quote]

What about a remix without digital distortion?Or a box like the Funhouse one?
Anyway the original version is the best.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 am

farao Okay, I've seen the advance copy of the dvd now. It's about 45 minutes long, has good interviews with the surviving Stooges, Johnny Marr, Henry Rollins, Chrissie Hynde, as advertised, all well spoken. It has nice "Nine Inch Nails" style montage footage of vintage 1973 new clips, strippers, Viet Nam, car crashes, what you'd free associate with RP.

Here's what you won't have ever seen before: yes, there's the only other live performance footage of the Raw Power Stooges that exists besides Ivan Kral's "Blank Generation" stuff as seen on the R&R Hall of Fame. It's likewise soundless, in color, and converted from its original Betamax video format so it has bandwidth lines. The lesser quality is quite offset by the fact that it's a VERY active performance by the Ig, and it's easy to follow everyone in the arty way the footage is edited. There were also some black and white live still shots in a well-lit venue that I hadn't seen before.
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Perdu wrote:
Here's what you won't have ever seen before: yes, there's the only other live performance footage of the Raw Power Stooges that exists besides Ivan Kral's "Blank Generation" stuff as seen on the R&R Hall of Fame. It's likewise soundless, in color, and converted from its original Betamax video format so it has bandwidth lines. The lesser quality is quite offset by the fact that it's a VERY active performance by the Ig, and it's easy to follow everyone in the arty way the footage is edited.
Cool! Is there any indication of where this footage is from?
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 3:48 pm

No. All that is known is that it originally was shot on Betamax as tv news coverage that wasn't used and buried in some production film lab archive. A Stooges fan employee found it decades later and shared it with the right people.
Back to top Go down
StoogeFan

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 6:54 pm

I have a question about the Raw Power re-master. I have always found that when listening to the Bowie mix on CD if I turn up the volume sufficiently to really hear the backing tracks (rhythm guitar, bass and drums), Iggy’s vocals or a blistering guitar solo come along and threaten to puncture my eardrums. I love how cutting the sound of James’s guitar is on the album but have always wished there wasn’t as much of a disparity between the volume levels of the different instruments. Do the vocals and guitar solos still overwhelm the other elements of the recording or has this been evened out somewhat by the re-mastering. If anyone with an advance copy could answer this question I would be so grateful.

This is my first post. Anticipation/anxiety regarding the upcoming raw power release has gotten the better of me. Thanks for all the great news on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 7:34 pm

StoogeFan wrote:
Do the vocals and guitar solos still overwhelm the other elements of the recording or has this been evened out somewhat by the re-mastering. .

Oh, please, - I hope the VOCALS and GUITAR SOLOS are still FUCKIN OVERWHELMING, cause that's why they call it "RAW" and "POWER" - It's not suppose to have a normal, balanced mix or mastering...That would be a crime against the history of the Stooges and Raw Power and rock n roll...The overwhelming guitars and vocals are special...that's the beauty of the whole record. There's nothing normal about the Stooges.

I'm happy when my ears bleed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 8:24 pm

All that leaves me a bit confused.

They said they were remastering the Bowie mix. Ok, but then the balance between the
instruments should not change, because remaster is not re-mix, correct?!

second possiblity could be that they "rebuild" the Bowie mix from the multitracks, fixing the
known issues that come with the Bowie-mix, screaming guitar, muddyness..etc.
I actually hope for that. So basically this would be a new remix wrongly called still "Bowie-mix"
propably for publicity reasons....

Because people here who already heard the advance were all positve about the sound of
that new issue. I wonder where that big change in sound comes from if they only did a new transfer from the ready-mixed Bowie-Master tapes?!

Either way. 2010 is a good year both for Stooges and fans.
Back to top Go down
StoogeFan

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-03-18

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 8:39 pm

Personally I don’t think that the Bowie mix of Raw Power sounds that powerful (not that I’m a fan of the Iggy mix). I mean how powerful can an album sound when the rhythm section is turned way down in the mix. As it stands now you get a maybe a 40 second blast on each song with the lead guitar and then the volume drops. I am not adverse to an overwhelming sound but not being able to hear half the band makes for a rather underwhelming listening experience in my opinion. I was not suggesting the album should be neutered but a mix similar to that found on the Raw Power demos (which I love) would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:39 pm

StoogeFan wrote:
Personally I don’t think that the Bowie mix of Raw Power sounds that powerful (not that I’m a fan of the Iggy mix). I mean how powerful can an album sound when the rhythm section is turned way down in the mix. As it stands now you get a maybe a 40 second blast on each song with the lead guitar and then the volume drops. I am not adverse to an overwhelming sound but not being able to hear half the band makes for a rather underwhelming listening experience in my opinion. I was not suggesting the album should be neutered but a mix similar to that found on the Raw Power demos (which I love) would be nice.

I understand what you mean, but I don't agree... You mean " how powerful can an album sound when the rhythm section is turned way down in the mix? " - Hey that's up to you, Turn the volume up!!! Make sure you hear the drums and bass really really well and clear...turn the volume UP...that's the idea.

The balance between the instruments should not change, if it's only a remaster...I really hope they don't re-mix it. Yes, The mix on the Raw Power demos is nice..yes I agree...but who wants "nice" ?...If you want "Nice" hey..I know Green Day is nice, but this is Stooges, Bowie's mix is not "nice" - Bowie's mix is "weird freak out" and it's "strange" - and that's why it's special. Every band in the world has a balanced/ normal rock mix these days, - so that's what you are custom to hear, a normal rock mix. I understand that you want to hear the album with the same volume as every other band in today's music. But this is not todays music...it may sound strange to you, cause it's not normal "nice" punk rock mix.Nothing else on this earth..has ever sounded like Raw Power, because it's a crazy weird mix. That's why it's a classic album in rock history.

I think the volume on those guitar solo's should KILL everyone in your neighborhood !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: raw power reissue   raw power reissue - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

raw power reissue
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next