Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

uganos

Go down 
+22
msteeln
Monger
totenkopf
Funhousehideaway#2
pernil
homesickjameswilliamson
Iguanas
rabid_fish
Radiobirdman73
Dark Horse 77
mc
Nervousnorvus
krugersoldier
Natalie
Mighty High
Donald
Rob Gallucci
G, F#, E
sweet_sixteen
MJG196
Hectorlovesthestooges
neven
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 10:49 pm

They definitely played "TV Eye" live in 1970. However, since the illusive Unganos tape and it's set list remain a mystery, who knows?

Does anybody know if it is from the Feb gigs or the August gigs? I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Trynka - one of the August shows with Zeke on bass is the one that was taped. Apparently "Going To Egypt" was on the setlist.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 am

Okay, Thanks.

The song was called "Way Down in Egypt". They were killer gigs!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 12:29 pm

"Way Down In Egypt" was an early version of "Big Time Bum" was it not?
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Yep.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 9:52 pm

is that song in any bootleg??? or they just played it live only?
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 10:46 pm

"Big Time Bum" is on Easy Action records, the 4 CD set titled "You Want My Action".

I am not familiar with every bootleg so I don't know where else is may appear. Maybe someone else who is a boot expert can help out with that question.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:10 pm

ok thanks anyway Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:21 pm

Way Down in Egypt has never been released anywhere.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 11:29 pm

True. That incarnation of the song I only heard at Unganos and maybe 1-2 other gigs.
Back to top Go down
Iguanas

Iguanas

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2007-07-30

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 am

When I collected information about Iggy's songs, Micheal Tipton wrote to me:

way down in egypt - he told a girl at the grande he was going "down to eat you up"
Back to top Go down
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/JesusLovesTheStooges/
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:04 am

Natalie wrote:
Okay, Thanks.

The song was called "Way Down in Egypt". They were killer gigs!!!!!!!

Nat,
Do you remember how close WDIE was to Big Time Bum? It will be great to hear it included if Rhino do get around to releasing it. Even if the quality is not perfect (which seems a tall order,) I would still love to hear the Cheatham/Zettner version of the band.

Don't know how correct this may be, but I've read previously that the Unganos set list was primarily the Fun House album, but with Loose before Down On The Street.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:28 am

Rob,

First thing, they played Unganos in February and August of 70. In Feb, the set was a combination of the first LP and and some of Funhouse. In August, Zeke played in the band but Billy Cheatham, although in NY and with the band, did not play. The first time I heard him play with the band was in September of 70. I believe I only saw Billy play with the band twice, once in Maryland and once in Virginia. There was some confusion about this because Billy was with them in NYC. But I confirmed this with some other folks who attended the Unganos gigs. Billy did not play at Unganos.

By mid October of 70, James had joined the band and Billy went back to doing roadie work. I specifically remember a conversation we had and he said he was happier behind the scene.

Best of my recollection, Way Down in Egypt was similar but not the same tune as Big Time Bum. I wrote in Popped about WDIE and stated that at the end Iggy kept saying," I'm dead, I'm dead".

I hope this helps.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Quote :

Best of my recollection, Way Down in Egypt was similar but not the same tune as Big Time Bum. I wrote in Popped about WDIE and stated that at the end Iggy kept saying," I'm dead, I'm dead".

Really? similar to big time bum, thats one of my favourite songs from the 1971 setlist - i always imagined egypt to be quite freeform and loose like funhouse

thanks for the info Natalie

HJW
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Rupert,

That certainly looks like Unganos. Originally, I thought Billy played. I know he was there. But there a difference of opinion and while writing segments of the book, I checked with a few people who were also at Unganos in August. Both people, members of this forum, said they did not see Billy play.

I revised my thinking because they were very convincing and I did not have Billy in any of my photos from Unganos. However, I only took photos one of the nights. I do have Billy on stage playing in a photo I took at a September gig. Billy is in the band photo taken by Peter Hujar during that timeframe.

I guess we will have to say the jury is still out on this. If and when the Unganos tape sees the light of day, and we hear a rhythm guitar, we'll know that is Billy.

I sure hope he is on that tape as it would be the only known recording of that particular band line up.

If anybody else has an additional information about Billy during this time, please let me know. Thanks.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 7:15 pm

The photos I have seen of Uganos have Ron wearing his shrunken heads t-shirt and he isn't isn't wearing it in that photo with Billy. Maybe you could look at your photos from Uganos and see if Ron is wearing the same top as he is in the photo mc posted Nat?
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm pretty sure that the solution to the "did-or-did-not Billy play at Ungano's mystery" is that he did play one night (at least). I think Ron has said that Billy did not really feel comfortable on stage, not feeling he was competent enough, or something to that effect. I think it's likely that he appeared one night but may have wanted to play less high-profile gigs after that. He's definitely in shots from Ungano's Aug 1970, no question about that.

Per
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Rory,

I have photos from Unganos for the Febuary gig as well as the August gig.

Ron is wearing the salmon pink headhunter (or shrunken head) shirt in some. He is also wearing the same clothes as in the photo that Rupert posted above. In my photo, he has the same clothes, same guitar, but is wearing his iron cross. In the photo that Rupert posted, it does not seem as if he had the iron cross on.

To add to the confusion, sometimes my old photos have dates printed on them and sometimes not. It depended on where they were developed. But as with old photos, some have faded and I can not determine the date of my photo.

One more thing adding to the confusion, back in the day, the guys, especially Ron and the IG, shared clothes. I have photos of Iggy wearing the Go-kart Tee shirt and I have a memory of Iggy also wearing the headhunter shirt.

Most of the time for the early photos, before the dog collar and then the silver gloves, I can determine what time frame a photo is by the length of Iggy's hair.

See how scientific this is, LOL?

Anybody else have an idea? All are welcome.

I apologize for going a bit off topic, but if it can be figured out with certainty, it will still have something to do with Unganos.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Per,

I think you are correct. I was positive he played in August and that is what we originally talked about. I only thought differently after speaking with two other people.

Billy definitely was never comfortable on stage. Of that I am sure because it was something he and I discussed. I am also positive he was only in the band for the month of August and September 1970.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Yes I think that's it, he played at least one night but not all.

If you look at both these Leee Childers photos Ron is wearing different shirts so obviously different nights. You'll notice the same pictures hanging skew on the wall of the club in both, so the photo with Billy in is definitely Unganos.

uganos - Page 2 L_afb146c4d370443f9d5c511c89834ebc

uganos - Page 2 L_4b5d5defd7214105815da885576525a0
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Yes, in the top photo, if you look between Ron's legs, those are my legs standing next to the stage.

And when you look at the upper left corner, you'll see a young woman with long, dark hair. That is Jeanne , my friend who worked for Elektra. Next to her, is Billy Cheatham.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 pm

Natalie wrote:
And when you look at the upper left corner, you'll see a young woman with long, dark hair. That is Jeanne , my friend who worked for Elektra. Next to her, is Billy Cheatham.

Nat,
You should be awarded some sort of doctorate in Stooges Studies or something! Professor of Stoogeology?
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:36 am

Ace Frehley from Kiss fame is also in the background of the Ron Asheton photo. Top row second from left.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 1:04 am

Natalie wrote:
Yes, in the top photo, if you look between Ron's legs, those are my legs standing next to the stage.

Damn you're good Natalie!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

uganos - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uganos   uganos - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

uganos
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: