Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy planning new material

Go down 
+27
sway
Gimme some skin
totenkopf
mc
23rd Express
Lucas
Iguanas
Perdu
harmonia
Radish
TeddyB1018
boogie
Petrie Terrace
Aku
hank67
Nadja
studioguy
Radiobirdman73
Funhousehideaway#2
homesickjameswilliamson
Natalie
trailerborn
G, F#, E
Loose1969
the5thramone37
freemind
EmmaUK
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 7:42 am

I hope it was the joke, not my vocabulary... geek
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 9:47 am

The joke was good but it was the word that cracked me up!

I may have said, omipresent, whirling dervish, effervescent, captivating, energetic, vigorous , dynamic or Iggified. Your word cracked me up!

LMAO
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 11:05 am

Natalie wrote:
"Peripatetic", OMG. That is a $10 word!

Thanks Perdu, you gave ma a good laugh!

Not to proud to say I had to look that word up.

Good one!!
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Perdu wrote:
Here's a joke to break the tension: How do you simulate ocean-going yacht racing? A: Stand in a cold shower and tear up $100 dollar bills as fast as you can.

Pertinence r.e. San Paolo- stand in a cold shower (it was raining out there in the audience, where the peripatetic singer ventured) and run around as fast as you can despite six decades of innumerable injuries while screaming for eighteen songs. Now you're fronting a Stooges show.

Gee, people, if you live long enough, you're going to do some contradictory things throughout your life, no matter what career arc. If you come from dysfunctional families, you might plunge into bad diversions to make up for the gaping absence of what most people take for granted in their own families as love, and make terrible decisions mouthing off trash here and there as a consequence until you stop said diversions. Rationalizing? No, observing.

And lastly, whether or not you all personally know folks in the biz, the standing joke is --if you're not a megalomaniac, you're not going to make it. That goes for bands in their entirety. There's some very self-serving, quasi-ugly statements afoot in the media blitz to come, and it's not from the usual suspects.

Well said!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 1:40 pm

I don't like the Weirdness, for me it's gotta be 1969-1974. That said I don't solely lay the blame for it on Iggy.

I can't think of any long lived or reformed bands where I'd rather hear their recent releases to the original output.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Was going to make this post, or a variation on it, twice now, and both times G, F#, E has beaten me to the punch, and most of the content. But as it was my post that kicked this off, and him that's taking the flak for it ...

It's not Iggy "bashing" HJW, it's just an honest expression of my opinion. It might look like bashing when compared to the rather dewy-eyed tone of the posts that get made on here sometimes, but that's another matter entirely.

For the record, personally, I don't see Iggy as symbolic of the Stooges, other then when he was actually in the band, nor do I see his solo career as some kind of continuing embodiment of anything that the Stooges were. I like his first few solo albums, and can't say I've liked anything much else I've heard by him in 30 years.

I'd be the first to say that my opinion is permanently coloured by remembering when Iggy was the only ex-Stooge with a public platform. So I remember his regular attempts to take sole credit for the Stooges, coupled with a seemingly pathological desire to belittle the other band members, usually Ron, and with the notable exception of James. He carried that self-aggrandizing on all the way through the hagiography that was "I Need More", and right up to the liner notes for his laughable, sorry, "violent", remix of Raw Power, so I can't be the only one who remembers it.

Add to that the near obscene haste with which he went "The Stooges are over ... but there's still Iggy & The Stooges!!", or words to that effect, after Ron's death and what else can I say?

Re Iggy and a new Stooges album. For me, his input was largely responsible for ruining the last one, I think his lyrics and singing on "The Weirdness" are so awful I can't even listen "around" them.

He was also, if I understand it correctly, solely responsible for selecting the tracks they took into the studio, and also which of the recorded tracks actually ended up on the album. Weighing what he left off the album against what he put on it, of the songs they actually recorded he left all the best ones off, I can't help but wonder how great some of the songs that never made it into the studio at all might've been.

In short, where the modern Stooges are concerned, I wouldn't trust Iggy to pick the winner in a one horse race.

P.S. Perdu, I've met/known/know plenty of people who did just as well, and some infinitely better, than Iggy in the success stakes. Yes, some of them had egos out of all proportion to their talents, though far from all of them, but I still think Iggy appears to be in a league of his own as far as self-aggrandizing, taking credit for other peoples work, and knifing former "friends" in the back goes.

P.P.S. Just as it seems relevant to the current discussion, if I understood an old post on here correctly, all the songs on the 1971 box-set are credited solely to Iggy. If that's the case. and I haven't misunderstood, anyone got any clue why?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 5:57 pm

I hope I havent annoyed anyone, i was just stating its all opinion, and my opinion on some stuff people have said seems to be iggy bashing, but i konw its just opinion, i dont know iggy or have never met him unfortunately, but as you said G, we cant really judge him or his personality or his past

i've always stated that weirdness isnt great, but i enjoy it, i think in a biased way because it was the only stooges album released in my life time, and even then i dont listen to it that often, but i still like it, despite its shortcomings

I dont feel that iggy is representative of the stooges either, i enjoy his solo material alot, but the stooges are the stooges for me, its that original band pop/ashetons/alexander/mackay and the second iteration or pop/williamson/ashetons as well obviously, but i consider everything they've done as the stooges

i've also had a problem with iggy saying the stooges are now iggy and the stooges, but again we can't judge - i dont know whats in his head, and the other guys have a voice too and if they thought it would be disrespectful to Ron / that version of the band, then they wouldntve agreed with it, but again we're not there, we dont hear the discussions on the band

anyway, i didnt mean to start anything or continue anything, just wanted to post about what i can see as iggy bashing, but i accept that its your opinion and thats fine, and like you said, we havent met him so we cant judge his personality or actions

Quote :
all the songs on the 1971 box-set are credited solely to Iggy. If that's the case. and I haven't misunderstood, anyone got any clue why?

yeh, i'd like to know why he was solely credited for them, was it easier to give him sole royalities? or does james williamson/scott not get anything for it? - is there even that much money to be made from a limited 1000 pressing boxset?
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 8:14 pm

You haven't offended me at all HJW. I publicly expressed an opinion in the original post, like any opinion expressed publicly it immediately became fair game for anyone who disagrees with it to say so. My post was in response to other peoples posts in the first place.

Re "i was just stating its all opinion". But that's the rub, it isn't all opinion.

That Iggy has often tried to claim/imply sole authorship for the Stooges isn't someone's unquantifiable, wholly subjective, opinion, it's a fact. That he has been publicly insulting towards, and disparaging of the talents of, the other members, barring James, is also a fact. I could go on and on, but what's the point? There are plenty of facts, and most people on here are aware of them.

Getting back to what is "just opinion", I think people who lie a lot, take credit for other peoples work, and will stab their closest friends in the back to gain some real or imagined advantage for themselves, aren't worth a light. And, "Hey, that's just what it takes to get on in the business they call show", doesn't cut it for me.

Re the 1971 box, my question was more to do with the writers credit, rather than how the royalties are distributed. I'm curious how a bunch of songs that he clearly didn't write all by himself, got published under his name. If in fact they actually did. If anyone has the box-set handy, and could post the Publishing Co. name, and if it's an ASCAP or BMI affiliate I'd be grateful
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Someone in my household had a great comment on megalomaniacal singers: he's grown to be newly fond of Courtney Love because, he says, in her interviews she shows no remorse for having no consistency whatsoever, joyously contradicting whatever she's been quoted on beforehand, creatively or interminably riffing out loud. 'Makes for fun reading.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 pm

There's no Publishing Company name and no mention of any affiliation on the 71 set.

I think the "All Songs written by: Iggy Pop" is probably credited as such because James Williamson has stated he can't remember being involved with writing anything at this time, even though he most likely was. I guess he's not that bothered.

The other thing is that may be a factor is that Easy Action are not the most together label, as evidenced by their mutiple delays and cock ups. I'm surprised there is no mention of Danny Fields having provided the Electric Circus and Vanity Theatre tapes. He just gets first mention on the Special Thanks list.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 9:55 pm

mc wrote:
There's no Publishing Company name and no mention of any affiliation on the 71 set.

I think the "All Songs written by: Iggy Pop" is probably credited as such because James Williamson has stated he can't remember being involved with writing anything at this time, even though he most likely was. I guess he's not that bothered.

Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive here, but that would only explain why James doesn't have a credit.
Back to top Go down
totenkopf

totenkopf

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 10:55 pm

StoogeStaffel is't that what the Stooges used to have for group publishing credits.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:35 am

Well, Iggy has had the clout since pretty much day one and certainly had the clout to call any shots since the 2003 reunion. The only choice anyone else has had is to not participate. Heck, the first reunion tracks were on an Iggy solo record. As for 1971 songwriting, James has said that Iggy wrote "I Got A Right" solo. Obviously the band "arranged" that song as well as the others. I'm neither defending or prosecuting here. Lester Bangs complained about the exclusive songwriting credits on Raw Power. But songwriting credits have always been basically limited to lyrics and melody, not riffs and rhythms. The Whiter Shade of Pale case in the UK has broken precedent with that, awarding co-credit to the organist ironically for adapting an instrumental hook line from Bach). The other 1971 songs sound like jams though, which would suggest a band writing credit.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 1:45 am

The 1971 songs were a joint effort. Those songs were played for a short period of time only. But I was there in dressing rooms and can confirm contributions from not just Iggy and James. I also saw 3 out of the 4 concerts on the 71 set live.

I think I am the only person alive that does remember!
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 2:14 am

So what were the song titles and lyrics of the 1971 box set tunes, Nat-a-Lee? Also, mc, EasyAction delaying a product if there's a fault with the manufacturing is a GOOD thing; to wit, Toyota...
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 am

The only song title in question was the one titled "Dead Body" which actually was called "Black Like Me". It had an alternate, un PC name, "N**ger Man".

In Easy Action's defense, I can say for a fact that Carlton tried several times to get all the correct infomation on the 71 set but he had no luck with any of the living members of the band. By the time information was requested of me, it was mostly ready and a done deal.

There is one glaring error on the liner notes and it has always bothered me. Lisa Gottleib talks aboyt Iggy's "gold" paint and sparkles. It was never gold. It was always silver.

Last edited by Natalie on Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 2:55 am

Perdu wrote:
So what were the song titles and lyrics of the 1971 box set tunes, Nat-a-Lee? Also, mc, EasyAction delaying a product if there's a fault with the manufacturing is a GOOD thing; to wit, Toyota...

True, if delay is needed to improve a defect I'm all for it. For the record I'm a massive supporter of Easy Action. Without them who knows if we'd have ever seen the great Stooges stuff they've put out.

With the 71 release there were a lot of pre-orders where incorrect payments were taken and there were no announcements as to what EA wanted people to do. A simple email to everyone or a website update would have be nice.
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 5:09 am

Sounds like that Iggy guy really sucks.

Can't wait for the new shit.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:09 am

Thanks for the info, Natalie. Gimme Some Skin -- lol.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Let's consider some simple facts.

Iggy is NOT 22 anymore (oh my, and a boo hoo!). He's in his 60's. It's only natural that his vocals aren't going to scream bitter truths to displaced youngsters. He's no longer frowned upon by by the general "rock" loving public. He's comfortable financially, and I'm sure constantly being labeled an "iconic" figure isn't doing much in the way of damaging his self-esteem. It's not fair to expect someone in their 60's to sound young and pissed, esp. if they have no reason to.

The Weirdness, all in all, was not a very strong album (even though it did have it's moments...consider "Mexican Guy", + "My idea of Fun"). No one that participated on that record (including Ron) unleashed the ferocity that made up those first three records. Understandable! They took a break for thirty something odd years! To me, the album sounded like a celebration of old friends letting go of the past, and MAKING MUSIC. Just the simple fact that they even got back together in the first place speaks wonders. I know it meant the world to Ron. I always thought the record had a certain "dreamy" quality....

And yes, there was a point of time in history to where Iggy was taking credit where credit was not due. I think this was likely more of a jab at past band mates, than an attempt to seek further praise (reality is...Iggy was much more successful as a solo artist than a Stooge). THEY WERE ALL TALKING SHIT! Ron seemed to have a few things to say about James + Raw Power that we later found out was NOT the complete truth, either. Again, bitterness.

WHY GIVE A FUCK? What is said + done in the personal lives of artists doesn't always speak volumes for the art itself. And again....consider how they ended the first go around, and the balls it must have taken to get back on stage again...not as 20 somethings, but as middle-aged men. That's badass in my book. Of course there was a lot of money to be made, + I'm sure that was at least part of the reason that it happened to begin with...but that means absolutely nothing. Success is the word. Success was something even the early Stooges wanted. 'least they found it @ some point, right?

People often forget that Raw Power wasn't even supposed to be a Stooges record. Ron himself often even went as far as to cite it as being "Iggy's first solo album". Which, essentially is what it was. It was a new chapter, and the only reason Scotty + Ron even played on it to begin with is because Iggy and James couldn't find suitable musicians elsewhere. Fact....Ron's dead. Iggy said not long ago that the Stooges died w/ Ron. Fact...it makes much more sense for the current line up to be referred to as "Iggy + the Stooges". No one in the band seems to be upset about it...why should the fans be?

The Stooges are a fuckin' band, not a lifestyle. If one has an issue with how they choose to go on as a band, doesn't it make much more sense for them to keep their mouths shut and listen to something else? I think so. I mean, they aren't YOUR band...

And the Stooges did NOT reunite as means of "living in the past". I'm sure they've experienced a few moments of nostalgia, but what gives? They got back together, and wrote NEW music. OUTSTANDING! I think that, too, took a lot of balls. They were doing just fine financially doing shows playing those old tunes. SHIT...that's where MOST of their coin was coming from. No one makes money off of album sells anymore. Them recording a new album (despite fan opinions regarding the quality of the music) says great things about the character of one of my favorite rock n roll bands ever!

All those guys are filthy rich. They don't need the band as a means of paying the bills. Relax, and give em some fuckin' credit!

PS....I've got a gut feeling anything they record in the future w/ James is going to kick serious ass! He seems really excited about making music again, and his guitar playing is phenominal. That dark/sexy stage presence is still there. I felt it when listening to/watching the Brazil show. I think, as sad as it is, the death of Ron might offer some raw emotion for these guys to pull from/create with. Expect good things....if not, why waste yr time paying attention?

Kisses,

-s.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 2:22 pm

Some good points there sway.
True, the Stooges aren't a lifestyle. I almost tried to believe they were, for a while...I don't feel like that now.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Sway,

You seem to have some inside information about the Stooges finances.

Do tell!

Natalie
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Not in the sense that I've watched the fluctuation of their individual bank accounts, no. Certain information can be obtained via observing simple facts, paired with bits of information that's actually been stated by band members/etc.

I mean, it's OBVIOUS the Weirdness didn't exactly fly off the charts. You can gather this simple fact by trying to google "Mexican Guy" lyrics. You can't even find half the songs off the album on youtube. However, SHOWS have been getting serious business.

Shit...come to think of it I was in some generic record store not long ago, and as Is typical of me I looked around just to see if they carried certain albums is stock. This was Best Buy (ok, not exactly a "record store", but you catch my drift). They had one copy of one Stooges album, the first one. I mean, the Weirdness is the newest record...not one copy. And its not like the Stooges are some little underground act on some small indie label no one has ever heard of.

Iggy said something about Ron never having had bought a new car in his life until the Stooges reunited. So CLEARLY they ain't exactly rolling in bank off the sells of even that one Stooges album Best Buy did carry. Probably a BIT more sense the band have been getting more media coverage sinse '05 than the 30-something odd years before.

Again, clearly most of the coin is coming from live performances.

Iggy is obviously a millionaire at least a few times over. He most def. was before the Stooges even reunited. I doubt the rest of the guys were. If so, Ron wouldn't have waited so long to buy his first new car.

I doubt any of them are turning couch cushions over for loose quarters these days. haha

None of this really matters, but you did ask Nat...

In other words, don't be a smartass.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:46 pm

sway wrote:
If one has an issue with how they choose to go on as a band, doesn't it make much more sense for them to keep their mouths shut and listen to something else?

Excuse me?
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:50 pm

sway wrote:

Iggy is obviously a millionaire at least a few times over. He most def. was before the Stooges even reunited.

He wasn't actually...

PostSubject: Re: Iggy planning new material   Iggy planning new material - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy planning new material
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: