Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power Box Advance copies

Go down 
+27
gazatthebop
trailerborn
zeke
Radiobirdman73
Lucas
Petrie Terrace
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
Garageman
Funhouse
StoogesFan
ElRoi
Tyronehell
mark
tompa67
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
krugersoldier
adams66
freemind
Funhousehideaway#2
TeddyB1018
Perdu
MJG196
Nitebob
G, F#, E
Natalie
Nervousnorvus
larry fine
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 12:42 am

Paging Mr. Matheu!

The thread you were originally on is over here ...

https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com/jesus-loves-the-stooges-f1/raw-power-legacy-edition-uk-press-release-t2115-40.htm

... as is the subject you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom

BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 pm

I was pretty sure that I was responding to Teddy's comments, questions, etc. on this thread, apologies if everyone feels that I went off topic. As was the suggestion to Natalie.

And the Stooges thought they had tough audiences.
Back to top Go down
http://robertmatheuphotography.com
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:28 pm

BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom wrote:
I was pretty sure that I was responding to Teddy's comments, questions, etc. on this thread, apologies if everyone feels that I went off topic. As was the suggestion to Natalie.

And the Stooges thought they had tough audiences.

Robert, I didn't intend to extend any general negativity, and my comments here were directed to the faithful. As you said, the package is not only aimed at those who have bought every bootleg (though the deluxe package is likely to attract mostly those people). This is why I would have suggested including Gimme Some Skin and Scene of the Crime -- to put everything relevant in one place. I agree that including multiple takes would have been counter-productive. I did notice and believe I commented that I Got A Right has never sounded better. I'm Sick of You was a must, as it's one of the best things they ever recorded. My other main comment was that Head On sounded so superior here I wish there were more of the rehearsals. Perhaps on another release.

Congratulations on the whole project. You must be very proud.
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Robert,

I have one more question if you don't mind. Teddy has mentioned 'Head On' and I am wondering if there are any specific details about this track. Of all the rehearsal takes available, why was this particular one chosen? Is it an unreleased version or has it appeared before?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 6:27 pm

BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom wrote:
Almost forgot, I did want to correct the long rumored stories about professional recorded shows by CBS at the time, since they opened for Blue Oyster Cult and those shows were being recorded by CBS, that is where the rumors started. A couple thoughts on that, the Stooges had already been dropped by the label at the time, so it's highly unlikely. Also, all of the Blue Oyster Cult recordings are in the vaults, and their manager at the time confirmed the Stooges were not recorded. The Ford Auditorium 1973 show was also rumored to have been recorded, but I asked Nite Bob years ago if he had tapes, and I would suspect that even if he was reluctant to tell me then, he would cough them up now.

I do not have any unreleased tapes. I helped Michael Tipton set up his tape deck at the October 1973 Michigan Palace shows.

I got to hear The Stooges rehearse without Mike Watt, with Scott Thurston playing bass. It just does not get better than that!

nitebob
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:29 pm

What's wrong with Mike Watt? Mike Watt has been a member of the Stooges much longer than Thurston
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Lucas wrote:
What's wrong with Mike Watt? Mike Watt has been a member of the Stooges much longer than Thurston

Nothing wrong with Mike Watt. Scott was on all the 1973 shows I was at. I consider Scott Thurston to be very important in Stooge history. For me, it was 5 of the 70's Stooges rehearsing.

nitebob
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Bob,

Amen! I felt exactly the same when I saw Scotty T at the jam.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Natalie wrote:
I did say that Michael Tipton has other tapes. Michael has plans but once again, that is his story to tell. I am hoping that there will be some news soon.

To reiterate what Larry said, it is a great time to be a Stooge fan. I am so looking forward to all the new releases. One will be the fan pack I am working on with Easy Action Records. I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll start another one about it.

??? who sings that horrible song "anticipation'?
Back to top Go down
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom

BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Anticipation = Carly Simon!

I didn't mean to come off as defensive either Teddy, blogging, emails, et. al. always have that possible problem of misreading the tone.

I had that thought originally as well, about including those tracks to have them complete in one spot, even thought of calling it London 1972. Again, please correct me if I am wrong, but that version of I Got A Right isn't anywhere else, is it? It's a great version. Bruce Dickinson choose that version of Head On, we both felt it was greatly overlooked and thought we'd bring some more attention to it by including here. I believe it was recorded at CBS Studios in NYC in preparation for the Max's shows, and the band was dropped by Columbia shortly after. It may have been on Heavy Liquid, or going back further to Rubber Legs. The source on this was Ron Asheton. Agreed, I'm Sick Of You is amazing, cool thing is the band will be playing it live this summer.

It was very cool that Scott Thurston was there last night, good man.
Back to top Go down
http://robertmatheuphotography.com
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I don't know whether any of the myriad released mixes of I Got A Right on Bomp and Easy Action is the same as this one on the Legacy reissue (can't be bothered to compare), but I do know for certain it's never sounded better. The thing about Head On is that the same recording has been released many times, but never sounded nearly this good. It might just be that Ron's source tape was much better than the tape used for Rubber Legs and then copied all those times for other releases.

Scott T sounded great, as did all of them.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:16 am

I can't be certain where the source of "Head On" came from but I can state with certainty "Head On" was performed several times at the Columbia rehearsals.

I can also state with certainty that it sounded great every time.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:23 am

Natalie wrote:
I can't be certain where the source of "Head On" came from but I can state with certainty "Head On" was performed several times at the Columbia rehearsals.

I can also state with certainty that it sounded great every time.

Although I haven't heard this yet - I wish they had done the same for Open Up & Bleed.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:38 am

They did perform "Open Up and Bleed" at the rehearsals. Many, many times, as a matter of fact.

Perhaps we will hear it someday. One can keep that dream alive!
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 12:52 am

"Also Sprach Scott Thurston" Smile

His guitar playing on I Got A Right on TV EYE LIVE 1977 is for me the greatest playing EVER in rock and up there with Pete Cosey, Hendrix and Keith Richards. Comical that the Stooges had so many guitar masters that he plays keyboards, what a band!!!

A lot of the masterful playing on New Values is also by Scott.T and not by James as I thought for many years.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 1:44 am

Scotty didn't do guitar on TV EYE... hes on keys... the guitarist your hearing is Stacey Hayden
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:54 am

REALLY? who is Stacey Heyden? Just googled it apparently played on "Station to Station" tour. shit another shattered illusion, but I must find out more about this guy. thanks JLTS. Are you the guy who did the liner notes of "Double Danger"?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 am

No, glad I could help though, don't take it too hard... Stacey is awesome. ; )
Back to top Go down
zeke

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:42 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Scotty didn't do guitar on TV EYE... hes on keys... the guitarist your hearing is Stacey Hayden
scott plays guitar and keyboards. but the lead is stacey
hayden
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 8:14 pm

Stacey is the pride of southwestern Ontario. He toured w/ Bowie in '76 (and later) who passed him on to Iggy.

Here he is with Iggy (damn I love this clip)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcKX4gK18Q

Speaking of Bowie's guitarists (weren't we?), check this Adrian Belew intro to 'Station to Station' (Japan '78):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcKX4gK18Q
Fucking unreal. Sorry about the crap quality and the thread drift.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 5:38 am

I put my two cents on the advance copy of the dvd in another thread ... farao
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Hmm. I may not have been wrong after all, there are two guitars on that version of I Got A Right, so i presume Stacy Heydon is playing the solo in the middle, but Scott Thurston is playing the thunderous rhythmn guitar.

I also hunted for the band who did the song "Also Sprach Scott Thurston", I couldnt find it but im sure they were called the Hawaii something or others....... and its so long ago, but im sure they said in an interview that they named this song in honor of Scott Thurston playing on this song.

On the other hand maybe im just getting senile Smile

Another question in this direction there was a release a year or so back called "Cleveland 1977", this is the famous Agora show which makes up some of TV EYE LIVE, my question, has the recording quality been improved a lot?, I have a good bootleg recording of this show and dont want to buy it unless its significantly better sounding.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 1:21 pm

That sure is a brilliant version of "I Got A Right" despite the less than perfect sound quality. It's always been one of my favourite Iggy tracks, especially this version. There's something really awe inspiring about the whole thing.

Re the Agora show in March 1977. Most bootlegs of this are great quality, the 'official' releases such as Sister Midnight, Suck On This, Wild Animal etc etc are all of comparable quality too - a bit better than the boots, but not hugely. Great show though, pity that the encores are never included, and watch out for most of the issues of this gig messing with the set order. Why do they do this??

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:12 pm

We're probably going a little bit off-topic, but....

On the 'TV Eye Live' album, the song 'Sixteen' is (I think) taken from the show at Kansas. Has the entire show ever surfaced either officially or bootleg? The Agora show has been released many times, but I have never seen the Kansas one anywhere.

Also, anyone know if there are overdubs on 'TV Eye Live' ?
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:48 pm

I doubt there are many overdubs on this recording. I remember a story that Iggy had a budget of a certain amount , say 50,000 USD to deliver RCA a 3rd and last record for his deal. He spent 5,000 on TV EYE LIVE and 45,000 on dope. I'm sure this was just a "rumour" Smile

Ive read some bad reviews over the years but I always loved this recording, it has that darkness that is there in all of Iggys great records. I bought it when it was released, the first Iggy recorded i ever owned instead of taping someones elses Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Box Advance copies   Raw Power Box Advance copies - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power Box Advance copies
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next