Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs

Go down 
+11
Lucas
Nadja
jneilnyc
Loose1969
rabid_fish
adams66
heavy liquid
sway
mc
damned
magnetmag
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
magnetmag

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-03-29

The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Empty
PostSubject: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 7:18 pm

MAGNET magazine picks the most overrated and underrated Stooges songs:

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2010/03/30/the-overunder-the-stooges/
Back to top Go down
damned

damned

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:01 am

funny!
hey, but my favourite stooges' song is I wanna be your dog...uhm..
Back to top Go down
http://www.search-and-destroy.it
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:22 am

NO WAY! Dog is one of the top 3 Stooges tracks and therefore one of the best songs of all time. Smile
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:58 pm

It really is. As "cliche" as it might be, Dog is probably the most definitive Ron Asheton song. My fav. rock song of all time, period.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

I dont think any Stooges song is overrated. Especially not I Wanna Be Your Dog, Cock in my Pocket and Penetration!

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 2:23 pm

What an odd article. Over-rated and under-rated by whom?
The way I see it is that virtually all Stooges songs are loved by the devoted few and pretty much unknown amongst the general public so they never get the chance to be under or over-rated...
Still it stirs up more publicity and debate - so that can't be bad!
Cheers,
R
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 7:44 pm

i wanna be your dog is THE stooges song... it's not overrated! it's totally underrated!!! everybody should know this song as everybody knows blitzrieg bop or anarchy in the UK. it's the definitive stooges' song... more than tv eye, more than search and destroy...

and it's ron's best solo too (this is just my opinion, of course)
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:00 pm

What a horse shit article. "Overrated" or "underrated" is in the eyes of the listener. Or the ears, actually. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
jneilnyc

jneilnyc

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2007-07-24

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
What a horse shit article.

+1

Actually, what makes it horse shit is that his whole premise that these songs ARE over- or under-rated is pretty flimsy (when was the last time you heard anyone argue that "Not Right" or "Little Doll" are in the top 5?), so turning around and saying they're not that good/that bad is a pretty empty excercise.

File under: waste of 5 minutes of my life
Back to top Go down
http://www.jneil.com/
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:43 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
What a horse shit article. "Overrated" or "underrated" is in the eyes of the listener. Or the ears, actually. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

YES!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeSat Apr 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Loose1969 wrote:

Well said as usual Steve.
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Well, I can relate to the opinion that dog is overrated. Not that it is not a great song, but sometimes you get the impression that most people think it is by far their best song. I don't agree with that. From the 2 official studioalbums I would say that 1970 is the best.
Back to top Go down
jonachan

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-04-06

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:00 pm

The criteria for that article seem to be random...maybe something for a personal blog. So that's what Magnet is like....

But, one underrated--or just toatlly neglected song comes to mind: Lucky Monkeys,from I'm Sick of you.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Lucas wrote:
Well, I can relate to the opinion that dog is overrated. Not that it is not a great song, but sometimes you get the impression that most people think it is by far their best song. I don't agree with that. From the 2 official studioalbums I would say that 1970 is the best.

totally agree... 1970 is great, i fuckin love that song!!!!
Back to top Go down
jonachan

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Mission of Burma do a kick-ass verssion of that song on their live album...
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:24 am

jonachan wrote:
But, one underrated--or just toatlly neglected song comes to mind: Lucky Monkeys,from I'm Sick of you.

Thats not a Stooges song though.
Back to top Go down
jonachan

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 am

Yeah, only Iggy and williamson. I guess it would be an underrated Iggy song then.
Back to top Go down
jonachan

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 4:02 am

And it's from Kill City, so I'm doubly wrong. Still, I really like that song-- Williamson's Stonesy playing and the chorus at the end has one of my favorites lines ever:"BORN DEAD CRAZY BORN CRAZY BORN DEAD....... "
Back to top Go down
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill
PineappleExpress

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 5:29 am

how is TV Eye underrated? this list is so wrong...
Back to top Go down
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill
PineappleExpress

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 5:33 am

Some underrated songs in my opinion:

-Pinpoint Eyes
-Pumpin for Jill
-Rock Action
-Rock and Roll Party
-I need more
-Johanna
-Street Crazies
-Life of Work
-Lust for Life (just kidding)
Back to top Go down
ziggy

ziggy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 2:50 pm

adams66 wrote:
The way I see it is that virtually all Stooges songs are loved by the devoted few and pretty much unknown amongst the general public so they never get the chance to be under or over-rated...
I'll answer that with my experience. Take young french people, 20 to 35 now, that's the type of people I know. Students, intellectuals, this kind of crowd. They ALL know Dog and No Fun. That all know Iggy Pop. Since the Stooges toured pretty often in France, they now also know he's part of the band, even if they have absolutly no interest in rock music. But my point is that these two songs are definitive pop culture references. Even Search & Destroy isn't that well known. So in the light of this constatation, and even if I don't agree with the guy, I can see why he would find I Wanna Be Your Dog as an overrated song. Why would it be the definitive Stooges song, in the place of, let's say TV Eye or Search ?

And even if the exercice is pointless, just for kicks, my top 3 Over/Under would be :

Over-rated :
We Will Fall : Never understood it. Really, guys, had to come up with ten more minutes for the album ?
No Fun : Don't tell it to my friends. I'll allways take the song's side against anybody of talk dirt about it. That's kind of an historical song, for it's simplicity and sheer violence. But I'm kinda bored of the riff.
L.A. Blues : C'mon, had to come up with five more minutes for the album ? Again ?

Under-rated :
Open Up & Bleed : I will just pick one of the "lost" songs, but it's not the only one I love. For me, any rock fan should know these stonish rocks. The possible fourth studio album is one of the few mythical lost opportunities of pop music history, like the Beach Boys's Smile. I really hope they will reccord some of these things for a new album (kinda like Brian Wilson did with Smile in 2004).
My Idea of Fun : What can I say, I'm behind the dude on this one. I remember hearing it first on the Telluric Chaos live album, and I was amazed. Best Iggy Pop pure rock and roll song in decades.
L.A. Blues : Yep, twice. That's boring, BUT pretty exciting to listen to. In fact, all the work of the bass and tenor sax on Fun House is under rated, we tend to forget that it's a great black music album. They bring in James Brown's funk and Coltrane's late free jazz. Like Kick Out the Jams. The original 15 minutes jam on the Fun House Sessions is incredible.

Last edited by ziggy on Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 6:23 pm

I think that "we will fall" is excellent... i find it relaxing, sexy and dark... darker than any other stooges song. almost everybody don't get the song and hate it, but for me is brilliant and one of ron asheton's best guitar work...
Back to top Go down
ziggy

ziggy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 6:30 pm

Couldn't Dirt or Death Trip be considered as mainly dark songs ?
Even Penetration fits your description, it has a sexy tone and a pretty dark vibe.

Concerning We Will Fall, my dislike could essentialy be explained by it's conformity to the rock music of the era, and it's "non Stooges feeling". I can enjoy dark moody pieces, but I certainly wouldn't think of it as the Stooges' strong suit. Always thought of it more as a Velvet/John Cale, or even Doors, influence.

Last edited by ziggy on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 6:32 pm

rabid_fish wrote:
I think that "we will fall" is excellent... i find it relaxing, sexy and dark... darker than any other stooges song. almost everybody don't get the song and hate it, but for me is brilliant and one of ron asheton's best guitar work...

i'm with you on this one rabid_fish Smile
Ron's guitar is very eerie on this track. Superb (as always). I really like that dark rumbling bass too.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 11:28 pm

ziggy wrote:
Couldn't Dirt or Death Trip be considered as mainly dark songs ?
Even Penetration fits your description, it has a sexy tone and a pretty dark vibe.

Concerning We Will Fall, my dislike could essentialy be explained by it's conformity to the rock music of the era, and it's "non Stooges feeling". I can enjoy dark moody pieces, but I certainly wouldn't think of it as the Stooges' strong suit. Always thought of it more as a Velvet/John Cale, or even Doors, influence.

of course, it's the less "stoogesque" (don't know how to say it Very Happy) song... but, hey, i think that every musician should try something different that what they usually do every once in a while... the stooges did and it sounds great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs   The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Most Overrated & Underrated Stooges Songs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next