Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

california hitch-hike

Go down 
+3
sweet_sixteen
msteeln
runningfromthepain
7 posters
AuthorMessage
runningfromthepain

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-08-13

california hitch-hike Empty
PostSubject: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 pm

all credit to easy action for coming out with this cd, the sound quality is by far and away the best ive heard for a "solo" iggy concert, this time joined by brian james, glen matlock and ivan kral as well as klaus kruger. the album is beautifully packaged with a separate 16 page booklet of words and photos , as well as a black and white pic of the band.My favourite song on first listening is five foot one which might have given the Stooges the inspiration to pick up on such a great song years later.However real cool time shows how no iggy backing band even with these credentials matches up to the Stooges when playing the original songs, its simplicity has been replaced by the brashness and over embellishment that i saw night in night out for years when going to iggy concerts until the stooges were reformed.Similarly with your pretty face is going to hell and no fun. Funtime is interesting but hitch-hiking in california is not a song so much as iggy talking over sound effects similar to those found on a cheap mixer. Still i recommend this cd to every one to buy as a historical look at the new values tour never heard before. Next time i will review the electric circus lp.
Back to top Go down
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 12:02 am

This band was featured in a favorite bootleg - Heroine Hates You - and always wanted more.
Looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 am

I think that that line-up was the second best after the Sales brothers, I'd like to get the album but i wish I'm Bored was on the set list since its one of my favorite Iggy solo songs. Oh and some (dog)food for thought...imagine a band composed of Iggy, Brian James, Tony and Hunt Sales with Scott Thurston on keyboard, I think that group might rival the Stooges, if such a thing were possible.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:22 am

I think you're getting a bit carried away there! Brian James will only ever be a follower
Back to top Go down
runningfromthepain

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-08-13

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:23 am

theres no competition as to who the best band was with iggy other than the stooges.
it was gary rasmussen, scott thurston, scott asheton and fred smith
believe me i was there - several times!
Back to top Go down
birchy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-04-12

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Must agree the stuff with Fred Smith does sound best to my ears!
I think Iggy had some great bands though, the Sales brothers were a great rythm section,
Brian and Glen matlock were good,the band with Mike Page and Frank Infante??And later on
with Andy Mccoy and Alvin Gibbs.
I think he lost it a little through the 90's with those more metal sounding bands!!
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:35 pm

People always forget the band with Ivan Kral on the Party tour, because Party was a bit of a stinker, but they were fantastic live and Iggy was at his greatest and most deranged at that point.

Would have to agree about the McCoy/Gibbs unit some of the Instinct tour shows were equally as ferocious as the Stooges
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 7:10 pm

I hope this is better than 'Heroin Hates You'. Iggy sounded rough and the band was awful. I loved Brian James w/ the Damned (and some of his more recent stuff) but he didn't cut it with Iggy. And those ice-cream synth sounds were jarringly out of place on tunes like 'Real Cool Time'.

I'd rank Iggy's solo bands:
#1 - Heydon/Thurston/Sales Bros.
#2 - Sonic's Rendezvous Band
#3 - Kral's 'Party' line-up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: california hitch-hike   california hitch-hike Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

california hitch-hike
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum