Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Empty
PostSubject: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Does anyone have this old (early/mid '80s?) boot LP?

'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP 04
'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP 04b

Track listing:

1.I NEED SOMEBODY 730916
2.HEAVY LIQUID 730916
3.OPEN UP AND BLEED 730916
4.TILL THE END OF THE NIGHT
5.SHE CREATURES OF HOLLYWOOD HILLS
6.OPEN UP AND BLEED
7.RUBBER LEGS
8.BORN IN A TRAILER

My reason for asking is that I think it must have been the first time those 5 Detroit rehearsal tracks were released anywhere. As such, I wondered whether they're better quality than any subsequent releases, in the same way as the stuff from the 'Studio Rehearsals 73-74' LP?
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:07 pm

I have the first 3 songs from this album (CD 1) is the bootleg section (thanks JP)
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks! I'll ask whether he would be willing to upload the other tracks.
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 3:26 pm

i think these songs are the album HEAVY LIQUID BOX SET,studio rehearsals 73-74 etc
Back to top Go down
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:13 pm

mark wrote:

Track listing:

1.I NEED SOMEBODY 730916
2.HEAVY LIQUID 730916
6.OPEN UP AND BLEED
7.RUBBER LEGS
8.BORN IN A TRAILER

My reason for asking is that I think it must have been the first time those 5 Detroit rehearsal tracks were released anywhere. As such, I wondered whether they're better quality than any subsequent releases, in the same way as the stuff from the 'Studio Rehearsals 73-74' LP?
Yeah, I've got it. I'm pretty sure that 'Till The End Of The Night' and 'She Creatures...' first appeared on the single that came with 'Spiral Scratch' magazine, predating this boot. It is possible that Revenge's 'Till The End Of The Night' album was largely sourced from this, but I haven't played the boot for a long time. I'll give the boot, the Spiral Scratch single and the Revenge album a listen as soon as I get a chance to see how they compare.
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 8:48 pm

jpstooges has kindly supplied MP3s from his copy of the boot and I've done a quick A:B with the same tracks that appear on Revenge's 'Till the End of the Night'. I have to say that in this case, the Revenge tracks probably come off better - much crisper sound, although there might be some slight distortion on Till the End of the Night and Open Up & Bleed that isn't on the LP. Born in a Trailer / Nowhere comes off especially badly on the LP - very muffled sound, and the first couple of minutes are missing!
Back to top Go down
jpstooges

jpstooges

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 9:11 pm

andrew wrote:
mark wrote:

Track listing:

1.I NEED SOMEBODY 730916
2.HEAVY LIQUID 730916
6.OPEN UP AND BLEED
7.RUBBER LEGS
8.BORN IN A TRAILER

Yeah, I've got it. I'm pretty sure that 'Till The End Of The Night' and 'She Creatures...' first appeared on the single that came with 'Spiral Scratch' magazine, predating this boot. It is possible that Revenge's 'Till The End Of The Night' album was largely sourced from this, but I haven't played the boot for a long time. I'll give the boot, the Spiral Scratch single and the Revenge album a listen as soon as I get a chance to see how they compare.
The Spiral Scratch 45 is from 1989, the POP1 LP was an earlier and poor quality pressing. It's worth earing only for the 3 live tracks from Whisky A Go-Go.
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeSun Jun 06, 2010 9:34 pm

jpstooges wrote:
The Spiral Scratch 45 is from 1989, the POP1 LP was an earlier and poor quality pressing. It's worth earing only for the 3 live tracks from Whisky A Go-Go.
The Spiral Scratch 45 came with the March 1989 issue and the two tracks were billed as 'previously unreleased'. If the boot came out before this it managed to avoid being noticed by the article in the magazine, which is pretty comprehensive in covering the releases up to that point. It also managed to escape my attention and I was pretty diligent in getting hold of Stooges releases ASAP. The Spiral Scratch 45 was the first time I heard those two tracks and I didn't come across the POP 1 boot until later, although my recollection is that it was not long afterwards. When I got it I had already heard the tracks from the 45, and the Whiskey tracks from the 'Live At The Whiskey A Go Go' album. So, sorry to disagree with you, but I think it probably came out a little bit later than the 45.
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 am

I supplied the master tape for the Spiral Scratch 45, from tapes given to me by Greg Shaw of Bomp sometime around 1987-88. A few months later the 'Studio Rehearsals 73-74' bootleg appeared, and fortunately Greg knew that I was not the source for this as it contained material that he had not supplied to me.

Early in 1989 the owner of Spiral Scratch magazine (Lee Wood) knew that I had some knowledge of the stuff being released by Revenge and Bomp at that time and asked if I would contribute an article for his magazine. He also needed tracks for the free 45, and I selected those two tracks purely because they had not been released up until that point. They did not appear on the bootleg until after this time.
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 6:25 pm

andrew wrote:
It is possible that Revenge's 'Till The End Of The Night' album was largely sourced from this, but I haven't played the boot for a long time. I'll give the boot, the Spiral Scratch single and the Revenge album a listen as soon as I get a chance to see how they compare.
Ok, I've listened to the boot now and I can understand why I haven't given it a spin for a long time! jpstooges is right about the quality not being great. As such it can't be the source of Revenge's 'Till The End Of The Night' despite the simularity in track listings. Most or all of the tracks play too fast and 'Nowhere' aka 'Born In A Trailer' misses the first three minutes or so, as well as being particularly muddy. In short, you've heard all of this stuff in much better shape elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP   'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Iggy and the Stooges' / 'POP1' bootleg LP
Page 1 of 1