Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
modernlover

modernlover

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-11-01

How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot? Empty
PostSubject: How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot?   How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 10:25 pm

OK, so not necessarily an ORIGINAL, but a good vinyl pressing. And preferably a UK or German pressing that I'm likely to come across.

I've heard from reliable sources that the CD is not great, and at least not as good as a decent vinyl pressing.

I haven't heard it for around 25 years and don't want to be disappointed.

I thank you all in advance and feel like such an old fart for typing that.

Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot?   How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 pm

The label are orange on original UK and German presses

You can use my list too.
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/IGGY%20POP%20LP.htm
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
jpstooges

jpstooges

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot?   How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 11:39 pm

This is one of the very few albums I prefer in CD than vinyl (or maybe I don't own the "good" vinyl).
Virgin reissued the Idiot in 1990 in CD & vinyl. I own both. The vinyl is really dull. The CD sounds really good. I also own a French original LP (with orange label), it sounds OK (much better than the Virgin reissue), but the CD is better (and is really cheap). If you want to hear songs samples, feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot?   How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 1:30 am

Thats weird, i think the CD sounds quite dull, well at least in comparison to the cleaned up versions (or maybe they're just ''loudened") on a million in prizes; i havent heard the vinyl but i always assume vinyl issues are better

in any case, i would love for the idiot and lust for life to be given the remastered / expanded treatment, i think its long overdue

HJW
Back to top Go down
modernlover

modernlover

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-11-01

PostSubject: Re: How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot?   How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 3:52 pm

I checked on the Steve Hoffman (remastering guru) forum and people who, crucially, had heard the original vinyl AND the CD were referring to the CD version as weak/hazy - one went so far as to say "the vinyl smokes the Virgin european CD, which is basically ****"

Luckily someone gave a BIG thumbs up to the mid 80s issue on RCA, a cheapo issue with a barcode that is pretty common.

And I found how to spot an original too (god bless audiophiles! they suffer so we don't have to):

- The Idiot - UK first issue has "(Iggy Pop)" scratched into the deadwax on both sides.

- Lust For Life - UK first issue has "IDIOT" scratched into the deadwax.

The dude added "Both pressings sound superb."

Time to go shopping...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot?   How do you spot an original pressing of The Idiot? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1