Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Popped musings

Go down 
+5
rabid_fish
adams66
neven
ChuckN
mc
9 posters
AuthorMessage
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Popped musings Empty
PostSubject: Popped musings   Popped musings Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Firstly thanks again to Natalie for being such a great fan club President. Here's a few of my thoughts on Popped.

In issue 1 (which I figure is from early 1970) it says they've written four new songs, one being "Big Time Bum" so was this an early title for one of the Funhouse tracks or was this the 1971 track that we know and love?

Sammy from Hong Kong sounds like a bit of a dude setting up his own local branch of the Stooges Fan club halfway round the world, wonder if he ever got to see them for real? It would be cool to get him and some of the other original Stoogelings Courageous onto this forum.

In the Popped where Natalie says she's just heard the Funhouse tape (before its release) it's then mentioned that Billy (Cheatham) sounds super good. He never played on any of the album cuts did he?

Regarding John Bellisimo's writing his Stooges Epic, I was very intrigued by this and although he has passed away I tracked down his brother just in case he still had the writings. The response was that his brother is still too cut up about John's passing to go through his belongings, so obviously I left it there. Were any of the Changes Magazines or any other vintage Stooge articles written by John Bellisimo?

Lastly from the Mini Popped, damn we were so close to getting an album of the 1971 stuff, think that could have been my favorite Stooges album of all.

Last edited by mc on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Popped musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popped musings   Popped musings Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:26 pm

One more thing, the filming of I Wanna be Your Dog at the Chicago concert in December 1969, that would be an amazing find, probably just gathering dust in someones attic! Why?
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

Popped musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popped musings   Popped musings Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 4:09 pm

They also did Nico's "Evening of the light".. wonder if there was a tape-recorder in the room at the time? Would love to hear it.. Do you remember the arrangement on that Natalie? Sort of imagine a slow, gloomy wah wah riff from Ron..
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Popped musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popped musings   Popped musings Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:40 pm

mc wrote:
One more thing, the filming of I Wanna be Your Dog at the Chicago concert in December 1969, that would be an amazing find, probably just gathering dust in someones attic! Why?

???where's this story from???
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Popped musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popped musings   Popped musings Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:42 pm

ChuckN wrote:
They also did Nico's "Evening of the light".. wonder if there was a tape-recorder in the room at the time? Would love to hear it.. Do you remember the arrangement on that Natalie? Sort of imagine a slow, gloomy wah wah riff from Ron..

I'm pretty sure that "Evening Of Light" was just another title for the big end of concert Freak Out, which was titled "LA Blues" on the Fun House album. I'm certain it was not a cover of the Nico song, just the title that was nicked.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Popped musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popped musings   Popped musings Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 7:33 pm

adams66 wrote:
ChuckN wrote:

I'm pretty sure that "Evening Of Light" was just another title for the big end of concert Freak Out, which was titled "LA Blues" on the Fun House album. I'm certain it was not a cover of the Nico song, just the title that was nicked.

anyway, a 69 Stooges' freak out live and recorded?! that's gotta be awesome!!!! bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

Popped musings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popped musings   Popped musings Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 7:44 pm