Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-01-14

Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Empty
PostSubject: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi,

New here and first post - please excuse me if I'm posting on an existing topic.

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing? scratch

Recently finally got round to buying the Legacy Edition of the remastered Bowie mix of Raw Power. At first I thought my ears were deceiving me, but it sounds to me like there is a jump or skip at point 4:29-30 in Your pretty face is going to hell. I've listened a good few times now and put on the Iggy 1997 remix for comparison - and the slight jump/skip definitely seems to be there in this new version... as if the track's been cut and stitched back together at this point badly (or maybe I'm just going mad! Freaking Out)

My cd is brand new and pristine - no scratches whatsoever. So I'm thinking there must be an error - either in the cd manufacturing process... or, astoundingly, in the remastering process itself. That would be unforgiveable I think - how could that be done to this album!

I've emailed Sony/Columbia directly to ask about this- though I've no idea if my email will make it to a relevant person in that huge organisation.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Mine sounds pristine, sorry.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:58 pm

Good spot JohnnyG - my copy has some sort of glitch at that point too.
It sounds like tape damage to be honest, the guitars are fine and seem to continue unbroken but a drum beat drops out and then comes back in too early. This is going on as Iggy hollers hell hell helll. Because Iggy and James are so loud compared with the beats it's not obvious unless you are listening carefully. The glitch isn't present on the Iggy mix. These are the only two versions I've got on my iPod at the moment but I'll compare with my old version of the Bowie mix when I get home.
Cheers,
R
Back to top Go down
JohnnyG

JohnnyG

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers R - be good to know if the original Bowie mix has this same glitch... or if the original tapes might have ended up getting damaged at this point post-Iggy mix (or during, who knows).

May confirm for me that I need to finally buy a good turntable and Raw Power on vinyl!
Back to top Go down
951Sib

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2010-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I have the same sort of glitch... But on "Search and Destroy"! (0:55-0:56)

Anyone?
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 4:22 pm

JohnnyG wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers R - be good to know if the original Bowie mix has this same glitch... or if the original tapes might have ended up getting damaged at this point post-Iggy mix (or during, who knows).

May confirm for me that I need to finally buy a good turntable and Raw Power on vinyl!

No, the original UK copy does not have this glitch neither does the Canadian LP version that was generously posted here. The tape they used has damage. It'd be interesting to know if the master for the UK LP still exists. They probably wont ever do another but a new UK version could be remastered from that and that would be great to hear.

The Sundazed LP should not have the glitch(es) as it was mastered from the original analogue masters, but can anyone confirm that, please?

Last edited by mr.datsun on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 4:25 pm

951Sib wrote:
I have the same sort of glitch... But on "Search and Destroy"! (0:55-0:56)

Anyone?

I thought that there were two glitches on the CD when I first listened but I can't find another at that point on that song.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyG

JohnnyG

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks mr.datsun - that's very helpful.

I couldn't hear a glitch in Search and Destroy at 0:55-0:56 either - my copy is fine here... but there is a quick dip in volume in the right speaker at about 0:53 I think. Is this the possible glitch you were referring to 951Sib? Again, I would guess this might be some tape damage.

I'd like to think I'll get a reply from Sony/Columbia from somone involved with the remastering - but I don't expect I will.

Be good to know if the Sundazed LP is glitch free!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??   Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power 2010 Bowie reissue - error in track 3??
Page 1 of 1