Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

iggy on american idol

Go down 
+4
homesickjameswilliamson
woody
adams66
8 posters
AuthorMessage
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

iggy on american idol Empty
PostSubject: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 5:32 pm

I guess you might have heard about this.
Iggy performed on American Idol last night.

Now I can't stand these shows, and Iggy is copping some shit about 'lowering himself' to appear on such a show, but I understand why.
As with the insurance adverts, it's a quick and easy way to get his face on TV again. The Stooges have some summer shows coming up, and Iggy has a back catalogue to sell.

At 64 he doesn't care if something is 'cool' or not, or if he's damaging his 'rock credentials' (whatever they are). Having survived everything that he's survived he knows that he's earned the right to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Forty years ago Iggy wrote "Any time I want I got a right to sing, anything I want, any old time..." - that's been true ever since, and more than ever is still true today.

Cheers,
Richard

Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Yeah Richard. At 64... who cares? He can do what he likes.

However I also hope he's got some more new music in him, that the showbiz stuff doesn't take over. I hope he can do both.

Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Just watched this. Wasn't great, wasn't as bad as it could've been though.

I don't mind him doing it but its a strange choice, maybe with tyler they're going for an edgy/rock thing

was it lip synced? the video i watched was choppy

does anyone watch it? is it part of an iggy week or 'wild' week or something? why do you think they chose wild child?

HJW
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 3:37 am

Niagara on the topic, taken from Facebook:
"Iggy sold out on American Idol ? Exposure is all he ever wanted.
How about the time the Stooges performed Madonna songs at the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ? Pissed Ronnie off ! Iggy wanted the
exposure and prevailed. So get over your Iggy cult fetish, he belongs
to the great unwashed masses..."

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:

Just watched this. Wasn't great, wasn't as bad as it could've been though.
I felt like the performance could have been a lot better. Iggy should of really scared the living crap out of them. The show is full of perfectionist singers, wannabe divas and such.. He should have really gone on there and freaked them out early-Stooges style. But then again, of course, it would be probably seen as just a way to get attention if he did something stupid like that (like take his pants off and dance around shouting denomic growls over the microphone like on Fun House). That would have been brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Mr. FunBoy

Mr. FunBoy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 5:46 am

I'm glad that Iggy was on American Idol.
He was like Mick Jagger at the Grammys.

Young people about my age and younger started to find out who Iggy was
when they saw him on Unholy Union, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

CNN did two news reports on The Stooges, and ABC News did one.
Stooges songs came out on the Runaways movie, and now twilight
freaks might now be listening to them.

Now he came out on American Idol, and it's like he is unstoppable.
And American Idol is the number one show in the country right now.
Lets see if the tv show Glee does a bunch of Stooges songs.

The Stooges will never be like The Stones but their heading that way of fame.
Back to top Go down
http://HeavyLiquidVideos.yola.com
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Love it,Love it,Love it ....... always a joy to see Iggy on TV flower
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 12:48 am

My wife asked me, "What the fuck is Iggy doing on American Idol? He did NOT belong there!"

I agreed. Big difference between Jagger (a quintessential pop star) and Iggy (the quintessential outsider). Well...unless you count Candy! I thought it was an embarrassing performance, but at least he got the recognition - you can imagine the list of other musicians who want that Prime Time slot.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 1:28 am

The more i think about it the more i don't care/mind

I think iggy really likes the recognition he's getting now and is mature enough, maybe more in spirit than performance, to accept it and play along

despite what people try to project on to him, he's never struck me as the guy to tell them to go fuck themselves in that punkish vein, maybe a couple times in his career, but he was on the dinah shore show at one point, and other 'mainstream' broadcasts, so its hard to get annoyed about american idol - plus he is a HOFer

plus we have no idea why he did it, for all we know he didn't want to do it but it is a great way to sell more tickets and cds etc, which you can hardly blame him for

like i said though, i think he's mature enough, and aware enough of himself and his place, and the stooges place, in musical history that he can embrace that identity, play to it, and play to...less discerning crowds

one thing still gets to me though; why real wild child?

lust for life or passenger, if he's going with solo stuff, or even search and destroy, would've made more sense, granted RWC was his biggest hit, but it seems so odd, its probably been a couple decades since he last played that; also why iggy and not the stooges, obviously he's more well known, but those questions seem more odd than trying to pin down his personal impetus

HJW
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 4:50 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
one thing still gets to me though; why real wild child?

That's his highest charting Billboard single in the US. It's been all over the TV, commercials, movies, and such over the past 30 years.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Ilsa

Ilsa

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-02-20

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2011 7:48 am

Apparently, the American Idol kids did a rendition of Real Wild Child last year, so I guess they invited him there and had him do that song.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: iggy on american idol   iggy on american idol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

iggy on american idol
Page 1 of 1