Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge Empty
PostSubject: Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge   Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge Jump-thumb

Jump consisted of Mark Spiwak (bass) -vocals), Don Gorman (drums-vocals), Dennis Tracy (lead vocals-guitar), and Scott Thurston (lead vocals-organ). Thurston would later work on several Iggy Pop recordings while both Thurston and Spiwak would back up Dennis Tracy on his solo album in 1974.

“Enjoyable keyboard driven rock album, with a mix of glam thrown in. I still own a pair of those shoes”. (jimslim RYM)

Hello, I am Mark Spiwak, the bass player for the Band Jump. Thanks for your interest in what was a magical time in our young lives. There was a UCLA student film made of the three weeks we spent in San Francisco recording this album. I am trying to get a copy of it posted on You Tube. The film maker was Reed Hutchinson.

We completed two nationwide tours in 1971 including the Celebration of Life festival in Macrea Louisiana in June of 1971. Somewhere there exists film of that performance and if anyone has it please contact me. As you already know, one of our members is Scott Thurston who has been a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for many years. Scott also worked with Iggy and the Stooges, Ike and Tina Turner, The Motels, Jackson Browne and he wasn’t the only talented member of the group.

The main songwriter was Dennis Tracy who was our lead guitarist and vocalist, although we all sang in the group and on the Album. The group split up over in fighting about the direction of our music. Scott and I wanted a more traditional rock /blues sound while Dennis was more of a song man. We shared our manager Bill Siddons with the Doors and when Jim Morrison went off to Paris it gave Bill some time for a new project which was my band JUMP. We all met on the Sunset Strip literally on one night.

We rehearsed for one week and were signed to a record contract by Marv Schlachter of Janus/Chess Records at the Beach House in Santa Monica California. We began recording one week later. After recording the album, our first gig was at the San Bernardino Civic Auditorium playing for five thousand people. Jump had an energy which you just don’t find in bands today. Can’t wait to see some films, wherever they are.

http://www.redtelephone66.com/2010/07/jump-jump-1971/

Last edited by mc on Sun May 22, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge   Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 2:33 pm

tnx!
scott thurston also played in a band ''hokus pokus''who made a dreadful lp in 1973
Back to top Go down

Scotty Thurston before he was a Stooge
Page 1 of 1