Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose

Go down 
+9
TV-Eye
Donald
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
adams66
sickness
homesickjameswilliamson
heavy liquid
stoogescraze
Colin Chaos
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Colin Chaos

Colin Chaos

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2007-03-01

Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Empty
PostSubject: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 12:34 am

According to Play.com, this book is due for re-release on Nov 6, 2007...

Anyone know why???

Has it been updated???
Back to top Go down
stoogescraze

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 1:15 am

is the author the same guy who took that famous black and white picture of a very young (naked) Iggy ?

what is the best bio book on Iggy so far ?
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 7:39 am

No, that was Gerard Malanga who took the naked pic of Iggy.

Colin Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 7:49 am

Indeed!!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 4:25 pm

Yeh i cant believe its gettin a reissue, it was shit, all sorta disch on bowie type thing, but um the very best was Open Up & Bleed by Paul Trynka, and gerard malanga took that photo of iggy in new york in 71
Back to top Go down
sickness

sickness

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 12:53 am

Well, i didn't read Open Up And Bleed, but Gimme Danger it's great.

Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose 1189636308_Gimme
Back to top Go down
Colin Chaos

Colin Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 1:01 pm

The authors of the following books post on this MB...

Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose 2003894145541253467_rs Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose 2003809942336884055_rs

Paul T and adams66 are guilty as charged!!!
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 pm

Yup. It's me.
As far as I know Joe Ambrose has never posted here.
His book often takes a bit of flak (rightly or wrongly, I'm not gonna judge), but with Paul Trynka's authoritative biography out now it's hard to see why Gimme Danger is being reissued. Open Up And Bleed covers it all much more successfully in my opinion.
I'd quite like to update mine actually, correct a few little errors, add the recent stuff, but we shall see...
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Colin Chaos

Colin Chaos

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 12:22 pm

adams66 wrote:
I'd quite like to update mine actually, correct a few little errors, add the recent stuff, but we shall see...
Cheers,
Richard

I assume your publisher has the final say on the matter???
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 12:50 pm

That's right.
Wait and see...
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 2:27 pm

adams66 wrote:
That's right.
Wait and see...
Cheers,
Richard

adams66, you're a writer ? Very cool. whats your Author name ? i never saw that book you wrote in any store...

PS. one of my favorite books were Open Up And Bleed, and Neighborhood Threat.
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 4:16 pm

My real name is Richard Adams.
You can still get The Complete Iggy Pop from many online stores, such as Amazon. Probably the best way to get hold of it actually.
That's the plug for the book over!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Yeah, I've never seen your book in shops, either. I will get your book soon though, Richard. Smile

Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 3:57 pm

Yeh i read a bit of the complete iggy pop in a library b4 i went to see the stones! lol - i was listenin to tattoo you and waiting on a friend, anyway, its pretty good, first book to tell me that 'Fresh Rag' and 'I Need You' are the same song, thanks for that Richard.

Great book, im thinkin of buying it

- HJW
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi Richard, I enjoyed your book. It's got a lot of detail about recording and band line-ups. All the in depth stuff.

One thing that needs clearing up though, which branch of Parrot Records did you buy Raw Power in?
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 10:14 pm

It was the old one in Duke Street, not the one opposite the end of the High Chelmer precinct.
Both sadly missed these days...
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Donald

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 1:49 am

That was probably me or at least friends of mine admiring your purchase. I used to hang around in there far too much. I occasionally worked in the other branch. Do you remember anybody from those days, any names? Me and my mates would have been about 5 plus years older than you but if you drank at the Prince you would have bumped into us.
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 9:04 am

Amazing!
I don't remember any names I'm afraid, and I always used to drink at The Ship. Still do actually, though not as frequently these days... mortage... kids... etc.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Donald

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 5:26 pm

Do you go to any gigs in Chelmsford these days? I know there isn't a lot but there are some bands playing down the Bassment on Wednesday (28th) if you fancy it. Let me know and I can meet you in the Ship for a pint beforehand.
Back to top Go down
TV-Eye

TV-Eye

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Is "Gimme Danger" so bad? Is not it really worth it? This book is the only complete biography of Iggy Pop translated into French.
"Open up and Bleed" isn't translated into French.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 pm

TV-Eye wrote:
Is "Gimme Danger" so bad? Is not it really worth it? This book is the only complete biography of Iggy Pop translated into French.

It really is bad, the author doesn't like "Fun House" and the book was pulled from shelves for being inaccurate and ripping off other books, "Please Kill Me" I believe.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 pm

gimme danger was the first iggy bio i bought. and at the time, it helped pass the days on a family vacation to connecticut. that's all i have to say about it. i am really glad that open up and bleed came out. i will admit though that gimme danger still sits on my bookshelf mixed in with other stuff.
Back to top Go down
ziggy

ziggy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 pm

TV-Eye wrote:
What about the Ungemuth book ? Haven't red it in years, but I think it was quit good. Given, it's a small thing, it can't be "complete", but at least NM is one of the best rock critic we have, and he has something to say besides recitating facts and trivia.
Back to top Go down
TV-Eye

TV-Eye

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am

Yes, I like the Ungemuth's book. I really enjoyed reading it. But, it's a small one. We don't have many details. To paraphrase Iggy Pop, I would say "I need more".
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 am

Shakes wrote:
gimme danger was the first iggy bio i bought. .

It was my very first introduction to the Stooges story. Certainly has some glaring faults, unfortunately I wasn't aware of them at the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose   Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gimme Danger - Joe Ambrose
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Down on the Street.-
Jump to: