Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
imastooge69

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 5:15 am

This show was great! It was heavy, fast, and reminescent of the Stooges in some ways!
The show was very guitar oriented, unlike the 'Idiot' tour of early 1977.
Where that tour had more Stooges songs and songs from 'The Idiot', this part of the tour (Lust for Life tour) was composed of songs from Lust for Life, with six songs from an 12 song show. Unfortunately, one of the songs was not recorded (the last song of the show, Nightclubbing.) But I wanna be your dog makes up for it with it being more of a punk rendition of the song, with the experimentation of German rock (just like David Bowie's Low, and Heroes, along with Iggy Pop's The Idiot). Opinions on this may vary. The highlight of the show would have to be 'Fall In Love with Me', from Lust for Life. When I first heard this, my jaw dropped in shock of listening, the first time i had listened to it live, as I was used to the Idiot tour, where it was chockful of Stooges renditions and The Idiot songs. Other songs included 'I Got A Right', 'Lust for Life', 'Raw Power' (excellent version), 'Sixteen', 'Success', 'The Passenger', 'Neighborhood Threat', along with songs (i dont know if they are covers or not) new to my ears, and are just as good as the original Iggy pop songs. 'Jenny Takes A Ride' and 'That's How Strong My Love Is' just add power to the show and make it even better. If this is what the whole Lust for Life and the T.V. Eye '78 tour was, I want to find more!
I LOVE THIS SHOW. Do I have to say more?
Very Happy
Feel free to add your thoughts on this show. For anyone who wants a link to this show, just PM me and the goods will be on the way. you will not regret it! Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) 653826
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:55 pm

I saw him in London the week after and I'd really love to hear a recording of that show, if one exists. ??
Back to top Go down
fabrice

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 1:53 pm

did you get a hold of the very cool 1977 easy action box ?
at least you get the complete show with nightclubbing and you can throw away your revenge cd
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 10:09 pm

the setlist of the revenge and easy action cds are a bit different.Which one is correct?
also the sound issuethe easy action version has a bit distortion sometimes,but the revenge cd sounds a bit dull,no treble.Still sources seems to be the same.
revenge isssued cd,2xlp and 2xcd versions.
Back to top Go down
imastooge69

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:35 am

fabrice wrote:
did you get a hold of the very cool 1977 easy action box ?
at least you get the complete show with nightclubbing and you can throw away your revenge cd
no, i just got it from a bootleg site. there's a site with loads of Iggy boots, but almost all of the links are dead, which i was a bit upset over since there was some from the T.V. Eye tour of 1978 with some songs from New Values.
Back to top Go down
imastooge69

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:37 am

For those who want to listen to the show (w/o Nightclubbbing, will edit this if I find it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK4U4lJyL_8
Back to top Go down
imastooge69

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 am

also, if anyone can get a link to the Aragorn Chicago 10/22/77 show, please contact me.
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 6:41 pm

woody wrote:
I saw him in London the week after and I'd really love to hear a recording of that show, if one exists. ??
You lucky lucky man, Woody Very Happy
Hopefully a recording exists.. Do you remember if the set-list was the same/similar to Hippodrome? Or any special Iggy-antics?? drunken

neven wrote:
the setlist of the revenge and easy action cds are a bit different.Which one is correct?
also the sound issuethe easy action version has a bit distortion sometimes,but the revenge cd sounds a bit dull,no treble.Still sources seems to be the same.
revenge isssued cd,2xlp and 2xcd versions.
The Revenge lp's have the same order of the list as the EA cd, except for "Nightclubbing of course.
Think the Revenge lp's sound better(not heard the cd), due to the distortion on the EA cd. Saying that, the '77 box is definitively worth having.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 12:49 am

ChuckN wrote:
woody wrote:
You lucky lucky man, Woody Very Happy
Hopefully a recording exists.. Do you remember if the set-list was the same/similar to Hippodrome? Or any special Iggy-antics?? drunken

I don't remember the set-list, although I have the impression it was mostly numbers from Lust For Life and The Idiot, with only a few Stooges numbers coming at the end, maybe just Search and Destroy and Raw Power? I'm hazy, it was a long time ago, and I remember going there in a funk of excitement, and leaving with my brains completely scrambled. It's still the most arresting, inspiring, disturbing and mind-blowing thing I've ever seen on a stage, anywhere, ever. I was a teenager of course, and impressionable, but I saw him a number of times after that and he was never as artistic, or as powerful, or as beautiful. As far as antics go, nothing specific, but he danced and leapt and writhed and looked like a superman. I've never seen anything like it. Maybe it was the purple patch: back from the dead, at the peak of physical strength, and off the leash too. The next time I saw him in 1980 he looked more jaded and cynical, but in 1977 he was on fire, and the performance was theatrical, artistic and profound, at least to my eyes... and as far as I was concerned life never looked the same again, to be honest. It was properly disturbing.
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Thanks for sharing that Woody. Smile
When you're just watching the youtube clips of "Lust" and "Passenger" from Manchester Apollo, and the hair in your neck raises... the real thing must be quite something.

Agree he must got quite a boost from being back in business after all odds in '76/'77. His voice too.. Remember the first albums I heard of him where "Lust" and "the Idiot", and I thought he was the best singer I'd ever heard.. Had I started off with "Solider", I would probably been of another opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Iggy Pop Live at the L'Hippodrome (9/23/1977)
Page 1 of 1