Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What do you think of 'Party'

Go down 
+6
ChuckN
adams66
woody
MJG196
rabid_fish
imastooge69
10 posters
AuthorMessage
imastooge69

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-10-30

What do you think of 'Party' Empty
PostSubject: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 12:51 am

Of course, it includes one of his best, and probably his most personal track, 'Bang Bang', along with 'Pumpin' for Jill', and the cover of One for my Baby (not on original album). But it includes his worst track, 'Happy Man', with hilariously unnecessary brass by The Uptown Horns!

It's below average, it's his worst, even by Iggy standards, but It doesn't beat the badness known as 'The Weirdness', which also had a few good tracks ('The Weirdness', 'Passing Cloud', 'ATM'). What do you think of 'Party' 491376 What do you think of 'Party' 653826
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 3:24 am

are you kidding? "party" is AWESOME... rock n' roll party is a fuckin' ANTHEM... "where you gonna go tonight?" it should've been in the "best of" album, fo' sho'

"eggs on a plate", the "sea of love" cover... full of classics, deserves waaay more love
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 6:21 am

I always thought Party was horrendous - It's Iggy pretending to be commercially-viable Iggy. To be honest, the only Iggy solo I can listen to is New Values, and a little bit of Soldier. The Soldier demos are better than the actual album, though, because Steve New's (Stella Nova) guitar is still audible.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 11:16 am

I thought it was horrendous too, at the time.
I thought it was the end - from new Values through Soldier and then this??!
What happened to The Stoooooooges??! Crying or Very sad
What do you think of 'Party' 12713

Of course now I really love it.

'I'm going to get a beer, but I will return my dear.'

Laughing

In its own way it sounds as deranged as Zombie Birdhouse, although there's also some great great hooks.
Happy Man is so awful, you just have to laugh. I love it.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 11:28 am

Party does include "Houston Is Hot Tonight" which seems to have entirely different (and much better) production values from everything else on that album. I love "Houston", a great dark busy mix of grinding guitars and the best use of brass on the album.
Much of Party isn't actually that bad, the title track, "Pumpin' For Jill" the whizzbang nonsense of "Time Won't Let Me" - all good fun. Just don't take this record too seriously.
"Happy Man" is really dreadful though...
Cheers,
R
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 6:47 pm

adams66 wrote:
Just don't take this record too seriously.
What I've always said. Keep an open mind, and take it as a comedy-album.(Metallic Ko is funnier though)

It's a quality wise big let-down from Lust and Idiot, but still think it has more enjoyment than the albums in between and after. Lyrics is mostly very poor, production seem unstable, still it has something extra witch I think is very enjoyable.
Think it's the general mood on the album, switching between the dark and and the up-lifting.

Pleasure is what it is. Silly, but fun.
Rock And Roll Party is a stand-out. One of Iggy's best, and a such a good mood-lifter before a party.
Eggs On Plate has a great guitar riff on it, and a very catchy melody.
Sincerity is a sillier and funnier version of Pleasure
Houston is Hot, a slowly driving, moody song. Feels a little like a not-so-serious version Stones' "Miss You"(New York is hot tonight?), only with a guitar riff in the front of the sound. Got a dark, sweaty dancing floor feel to it.
Pumpin' For Jill - Very catchy song, if you ignore the silly lyrics.
Happy Man - No matter with witch rose-tinted glasses you see this song it's pure crap. Competes with "African Man" for worst every Iggy song.
Bang Bang is such a moody and extremely catchy song.
Sea Of Love is a beautiful ballad, very well sung. A little too slow and cute though.
Time Won't Let Me is all about light-hearted silly fun. In the same mould as Pleasure and Sincerity.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:06 am

ChuckN wrote:
... Got a dark, sweaty dancing floor feel to it.

That's a good feeling! You sold me.

I'd like to hear Iggy do 'Happy Man' with what's left of the Stooges. He and JW could work up a little routine.

I really hope there's some new material soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:15 am

woody wrote:
I'd like to hear Iggy do 'Happy Man' with what's left of the Stooges. He and JW could work up a little routine.
I really hope there's some new material soon. Smile

Ha ha! That would be hilarious! Probably really awful, but hilarious nonetheless. They could do some little dance steps, kind of like the Shadows used to do, Iggy in the middle flanked by Watt and Williamson...
We are really desperate for new material aren't we??!!
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 1:43 am

Yeah. It's making me cranky. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
imastooge69

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:17 am

woody wrote:
Yeah. It's making me cranky. Embarassed

And afterwards, he decides to sing African Man along by Eat or be Eaten! That would leave me in tears!
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:53 am

I think I'd draw the line at African Man. Laughing

edit - although it might make a fun dance number if it was played as an instrumental.

Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:39 pm

The only good thing about being an iggy fan in those days was the albums hit the cutout bin about a week after they were released. Even so, I was so embarassed by the cover, I hid it in the middle of a couple of other 99 cent specials.
Back to top Go down
imastooge69

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 1:54 am

popmansam wrote:
The only good thing about being an iggy fan in those days was the albums hit the cutout bin about a week after they were released. Even so, I was so embarassed by the cover, I hid it in the middle of a couple of other 99 cent specials.

Well for a young fan with only a goodwill and a pawn shop to supply his vinyl addiction (where the goodwill has little to nothing (mainly orchestra and christmas records)), there is NO and I mean NO Iggy and The Stooges records in sight. I understand the Stooges' records being harder to find, but If I were you, I'd appreciate even finding an Iggy record, no matter how bad. Fans of Iggy that mainly listen to vinyl don't have it all very well...
Back to top Go down
marpop

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 pm

very good album in any case,
r'n'r party is iggy's one of best ever..

ps
it's on my stereo car usually
Back to top Go down
Ron Trashton

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-08-20

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:18 pm

i <3 Iggy's "happy man"
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Ron Trashton wrote:
i <3 Iggy's "happy man"

Really? Well actually I'm glad someone likes it.
Just proves that we're all different, and that's a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2013 5:19 pm

ChuckN wrote:
adams66 wrote:
Just don't take this record too seriously.
What I've always said. Keep an open mind, and take it as a comedy-album.(Metallic Ko is funnier though)

It's a quality wise big let-down from Lust and Idiot, but still think it has more enjoyment than the albums in between and after. Lyrics is mostly very poor, production seem unstable, still it has something extra witch I think is very enjoyable.
Think it's the general mood on the album, switching between the dark and and the up-lifting.

Pleasure is what it is. Silly, but fun.
Rock And Roll Party is a stand-out. One of Iggy's best, and a such a good mood-lifter before a party.
Eggs On Plate has a great guitar riff on it, and a very catchy melody.
Sincerity is a sillier and funnier version of Pleasure
Houston is Hot, a slowly driving, moody song. Feels a little like a not-so-serious version Stones' "Miss You"(New York is hot tonight?), only with a guitar riff in the front of the sound. Got a dark, sweaty dancing floor feel to it.
Pumpin' For Jill - Very catchy song, if you ignore the silly lyrics.
Happy Man - No matter with witch rose-tinted glasses you see this song it's pure crap. Competes with "African Man" for worst every Iggy song.
Bang Bang is such a moody and extremely catchy song.
Sea Of Love is a beautiful ballad, very well sung. A little too slow and cute though.
Time Won't Let Me is all about light-hearted silly fun. In the same mould as Pleasure and Sincerity.

The above is a good summation, one I pretty much agree with.

I think some of the tracks worked live well too.

Yep Pumpin' for Jill is great but for some of the lyrics and Houston is Hot was damn good live.

Probably the best way to enjoy it, when I get time, is to do my own comp of the best tracks from New Values (great album, but even that has a couple of weak tracks), Soldier and this one, with a 'live side' or two thrown in (Iggy was great live from 1979-81 at times...he's been great live, period, but 79-81 he could be quite manic at times, *and* threw in a lot of unreleased tracks that didn't make these albums...some of them really good too...Joe and Billy, Puppet World, Flesh and Blood, Brakes On, the cover of I'm Alright, the live One for the Road (the studio version doesn't make it so much for me)....
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2013 7:57 pm

As a postscript I'd say if anyone has doubts about the Party era material - and up to a point, that's understandable - I'd say check out the 19 June 1981 Torino gig...the audience went crazy for that one, and not that surprisingly, Iggy and his band were on fine form (and yes it did include quite a few numbers from 'Party')...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of 'Party'   What do you think of 'Party' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you think of 'Party'
Page 1 of 1