Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new values demo sessions

Go down 
+3
adams66
woody
ad_hoc
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ad_hoc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-11-20

new values demo sessions  Empty
PostSubject: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 am

it seems there are recordings of demo versions of 'new values'.
does anyone here happen to have them ?

thanks
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 11:03 am

I'd be interested to know more about this. I have a cassette titled 'New Values Outtakes' but it sounds like the same takes which are on the record, except that the quality is very poor. I picked it up back in the early 80s and I always thought it was some kind of rip-off. If there are some genuine outtakes or demos I'd love to hear them. New Values is such a good album.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 10:23 pm

There's a set of Soldier demos, or rather a bunch of rehearsal numbers recorded one day in the studio early in the Soldier sessions. But I've not heard of any New Values demos. However it would be great if there were some out there.
Where did you hear about this possibility ad_hoc?
Back to top Go down
ad_hoc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 9:02 am

from here
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 4:09 pm

Sadly I think you're right regarding the tape Woody.

Don't know about no complete New Values session unofficially released, but it's probably a tape out there somewhere. Hopefully the owner(s) could get into the idea of releasing it.

The out-takes "Chains" and "Pretty Flamingo" where extra tracks on the re-released cd version of "New Values". "Pretty Flamingo" have been released on a few boots too.

The Soldier demos and outtakes are on the "Old Mule Skinner" boot. Couldn't find a picture of it, but it have a horrible picture of Iggy on it looking like the "Instinct" cover.
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 4:53 pm

new values demo sessions  Cover10
Back to top Go down
ChuckN

ChuckN

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2012 1:00 am

Is that the cd-version soldier? That version(on lp) i had in mind had a different picture on the front.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2015 2:27 am

Ok, when I first heard the New Values session tape, I thought what is this it's just an nth gen copy of the album.

Someone told me it was an early mix though and there were differences to hear. I got another copy off someone, and indeed there are differences - there's a slightly longer instrumental break in Don't Look Down for instance.

I was sent the recordings on the basis I shouldn't swap them really, but tbh they've been shared before and the quality is still rough...I would be keen though to try and get the Long Beach 1987 and Newcastle 87 shows by Iggy though in some sort of part exchange if possible though! Smile
Back to top Go down
thewinterofmydiscontent

thewinterofmydiscontent

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-02-27

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2016 4:01 pm

That's interesting, Stranger09. I have a tape that was supposed to be demos, but was never properly convinced it was, my thoughts being similar to those of Woody (except I probably got mine in the late 80s!).
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Well they are not demos...it's an early mix of the album. I did my best to clean up Don't Look Down as that was the one with the most audible / recognisable differences...but you have to stop sometimes doing this as you end up doing more harm than good. I do know a professional mastering engineer who could help in an ideal world, but he's not much of an Iggy fan (he is a Bowie fan so I can try playing on the Bowie connection), and he's always extremely busy.
I know for a fact that most modern 'push this button to clean up' software is not capable of doing a decent job of cleaning it up which is why I hope a lower generation source of the recording turns up one day... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new values demo sessions    new values demo sessions  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

new values demo sessions
Page 1 of 1