Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

unusual influences

Go down 
+4
Borntohula
mc5nrg
Loose1969
adams66
8 posters
AuthorMessage
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 1:21 pm

I've been listening to Kraftwerk's Trans-Europe Express album and there's that great line in the title song "From station to station, to Dusseldorf City / meet Iggy Pop, and David Bowie."

And it got me thinking about how Bowie and Iggy met Kraftwerk at their studios in 1976. Bowie loved Kraftwerk and Iggy was soon a fan too. Especially when Ralf Hutter revealed his love of the Stooges, the MC5 and all aspects of US punk. The 1,2,3,4, count in (in German) at the start of "Showroom Dummies" was an homage to the Ramones.

The use of drum machines and motorik beats on The Idiot came about partly as a result of Iggy's keeness on Kraftwerk and NEU! during that summer of 1976. "Nightclubbing" really brings up the Krautrock influences. Interestingly there is a bootleg of Kraftwerk from 1971 when Rother and Dinger (who later formed NEU!) were in the band. The opening of "Mass Production" is almost identical to the opening track from this concert and I find it inconceivable that Iggy and Bowie didn't have a copy of this gig when recording "Mass Production."

Certainly Iggy has been influenced by many artists / bands over the years, but rarely do these influences show through so strongly as on the The Idiot.

Anyone got any other instances of obvious influences on Iggy and on the Stooges?

Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 5:24 pm

I hear some Stones influence in James' playing here and there, on Raw Power. "I Need Somebody" is pretty obvious that he's Keefin' it on that one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
mc5nrg

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-03-25

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 9:48 am

There is some artist who the whole stooges first record vibe is largely copped from but in my advanced age I can't recall the name. Back in the tape trading days there was a snippet on tape a friend had that made this abundantly clear but on the copy he gave me this cool bit was left out. Maybe it will come to me who the guy was.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 1:37 pm

mc5nrg: Bo Diley something?
Back to top Go down
zeke

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-05-17

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 9:26 pm

i love james williamsons guitar playing. he does keef it a bit , but fuck me in the 70s everyone was keefing it from the alice cooper band to the sweet. at least he played it properly , unlike keef. who just detunes so he can play wasted
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 11:52 pm

mc5nrg/ borntohula, Bo Diddely?
Back to top Go down
zeke

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-05-17

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 2:07 am

who do ya love
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 4:50 am

It's sometimes said the first two Stooges albums were influenced by The Sonics and VU.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 4:57 pm

The Byrds (1969)
96 Tears & Johnny Cash (no Fun)
Pharoah Saunders (Little Doll)
Venus In Furs (I Wanna Be Your Dog)
Bo Diddley (just about every song)
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 5:28 pm

zeke wrote:
i love james williamsons guitar playing. he does keef it a bit , but fuck me in the 70s everyone was keefing it from the alice cooper band to the sweet. at least he played it properly , unlike keef. who just detunes so he can play wasted

Well....I agree with a lot of that, but Keef didn't always play "wasted". He kept his shit together on the road, and in the studio. It was those between times where he was always fucked up. Wink

Getting back to James though...the man sure could sear your eardrums.

And now, back on topic.. Laughing

Of course I hear a little Doors in there (No Fun), Ron has a little Jefferson Airplane vibe in the guitar on the debut.

Beyond that, it's a bit hard for me to pinpoint any strong influences in particular. Just like any great band, they took a few pages from the music they grew up with and made it their own.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 12:12 pm

I hear Jefferson Airplane in the solos, wannabe Hendrix, too. But the biggest influence I hear in ROn's guitar playing is Pete Townshend, specially in his chord and rhythm playing.

Famously, Ron and Dave Alexander fled Ann Arbor for London to meet the Beatles, and got to see The WHo...
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2007 5:16 pm

Paul T wrote:
I hear Jefferson Airplane in the solos, wannabe Hendrix, too. But the biggest influence I hear in ROn's guitar playing is Pete Townshend, specially in his chord and rhythm playing.

Famously, Ron and Dave Alexander fled Ann Arbor for London to meet the Beatles, and got to see The WHo...

That right there can change a band's direction, eh? And for us, that was a GOOD thing. The Stooges were never meant to be a pop band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

unusual influences Empty
PostSubject: Re: unusual influences   unusual influences Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

unusual influences
Page 1 of 1