Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AdamfromEugene

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-06-02

Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973! Empty
PostSubject: Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973!   Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2022 5:26 am

That the Stooges only played one (historic) gig in England (King's Cross Cinema/Scala) has come to be accepted as Gospel in Stooge history, however, reading the April 1974 Creem article, "Honey Come and be my Enemy I can love you Too" by Ester & Lester (Bangs) we read a quote from James Williamson (e.g., pg. 73): 'We'd been working all these little clubs in England, building up an audience, and DeFries kept saying, "naw, man, wait, you're too big, just wait and I'll give you the call when it's time."

So, Stooge fanatics, what is the truth? If not, why has no one settled the matter- perhaps someone on this board has spoken on the subject?

This is no small mystery. If there were many little club dates surely there must be recorded audio and photos, and perhaps even film.

Looking forward to some clarification of this part of the grand story.
Back to top Go down
slow extinction

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2022-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973!   Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2022 11:54 pm

I think James was just exaggerating how many shows they played to try to make a point. In my 30 years of following the Stooges I've never seen any evidence that they ever played more than the one show in England, or even speculation thereof. The King's Cross show holds a mythical place in Stooges lore and is probably the one show that fans wish there was a recording of. There isn't but overall I think the Raw Power era is pretty well documented live. Hopefully the upcoming Whisky box set from EA contains some decent unreleased material.
Back to top Go down
AdamfromEugene

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973!   Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2022 12:46 am

Slow extinction, thank you for the clarification. I thought other gigs seemed unlikely due to the absence of evidence, excluding Williamson's anomalous quote but had to ask. Like all Stoogelings, I too, am hoping we get something new from Easy Action. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973!   Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stooges Gigs in the U.K. in 1972-early 1973!
Page 1 of 1