Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ungano's

Go down 
+21
totenkopf
Muddslide
Nadja
popmansam
Monger
Big Time Bum
zenta138
MJG196
Donald
Loose1969
Paul T
mc
modernlover
adams66
jimmyo
Shakes
Borntohula
all-vox-man
homesickjameswilliamson
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
the5thramone37
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 am

Tell us more nitebob. What was played, how did it sound etc etc!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
totenkopf

totenkopf

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-10

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 8:53 am

I was at the Electric Circus show--June 71 The Electric Circus was a much larger venue than Ungano's or even Max's. the stage was filled with Marshall
and Ampeg cabinets (the tinnitus I have today came from shows like this one) Ron Ashton was playing a black Les Paul and James Williamson played
a sunburst Les Paul. Iggy who was at that point a full smack fiend came out on stage with silver glitter on his hair and body. Not more than 10 seconds into I GOT A RIGHT Iggy does his best James Brown move stage right and HURLS purple fluid off the stage, being the pro he was and not losing a beat Ig repeats the dance move and is now singing the words to the song. The whole evening was Iggy up ,down ,falling off the stage, wandering around and staring us all down. Except for a few technical problems with one of Ron's petals. This was one tight band--most of the songs were the ones on the LIVE 71 (cd and lp) I spoke to Iggy later on after the show He said the Stooges had cut 2 new singles. Bullshit, heroin talking who knows. That was a GREAT EVENING!!!!
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 10:09 am

Great stories!

Nitebob, are you the Nitebob I met?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 12:07 pm

waow, damn sounds amazing, esp if they did the live 1971 stuff, i love those songs, its like a whole untapped music in that barely listenable album!

thanks Nitebob, great read, thisll make the dreams of seeing these shows a little more real!
Back to top Go down

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 12:36 pm

Freaking Out totenkopf..love you'r stories!!
ah...do i wish i was there!!!

can you tell more about that purple fluid thing in the show? cuz .. maybe i understand it wrongly...
Was Iggy spraying that over the crowd? and also over himself?

There is one photo i have of iggy where he has a purple skin - face. I want to know if that's from that same period or gig.

The silver paint..that act..he did that before in earlier times, think that had a connection with wanting to be a tin-man (?)....but purple??? (like red fluid would have had more of an impact, isn't it).....ah....really would like to get to know more about this act!
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 12:58 pm

the purple fluid wasn't paint...according to Leee Childers it was directed at Gerry Miller, a warhol hanger-on...

Leee:

"So she had these big tits and she worked as a topless dancer at the Hippodrome in Times Square in those days so she had only read about the fact that there was such a thing as a groupie and she loved sex. She loved to have sex and in that way that a lot of groupies did love to have sex she liked to give head and that kind of thing. Not make love. Nothing about it ever had anything close to do with making love. So she decided that she’d be a groupie so she started turning up and of course she could get into every show because she had the Andy Warhol connection. She even released a single. I’d love to have a copy of it now. So in the evenings she performed topless on the bar at the Hippodrome where she made a lot of money. Those were the big days of topless bars, which have come back now. They went away for a while. Gerry, if she could stand up could be making a living again. She was at that very first show. He dragged her across the floor by her face. Just put his hand right around her face and dragged her right across the floor and she was on that metal chair and instinctively, because something she could only have worked from a script with Andy Warhol saying, ‘Gerry now you fall out of the chair.’ But no one was telling her what to do so she just hung onto the metal chair for dear life. So as he pulled her with the little metal tips on the end of it it was like dancing across the floor. It was hilarious to see. So she was at every gig and she was at the Electric Circus and right at the front shouted, ‘Let’s see you throw up!’ She had this little Minnie Mouse voice. So he did - right on her. "

!

I was chatting to someone who heard the Circus tape, and Danny's one which I think is the Vanity Ballroom, and his thoughts were the same as mine, when I heard the latter... the music is pretty awesome full-on headbanging with monstrous riffs. But Iggy can hardly be heard. By then he was more a spectacle than a singer.
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:14 pm

Paul T wrote:
Great stories!

Hello Paul,
Yes, I am the one you interviewed.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:14 pm

is the purple fluid not like him being sick in some horredous colour!

whats the tin man theory? and can you post tha picture of him w/ the purple?

thank
HJW
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:15 pm

Nitebob wrote:
Paul T wrote:
Great stories!

Hello Paul,

the actual Nitebob?
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:23 pm

Good to see you, Bob. Can't remember if I sent you a copy of the book, email me via trynka.com if you'd like one.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:24 pm

THE Nitebob? Marvellous.
Anyway - you're very welcome and please share more of your Stooges memories.
Cheers,
Richard

ps - purple puke?? Eurgh! What the hell had he been eating??
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:27 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Nitebob wrote:
Paul T wrote:
Great stories!

Hello Paul,

the actual Nitebob?

If by actual you mean the one in Paul's book, I am.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:31 pm

well yeh, like the 'actual' on from stoogehistory, lol

good to have you on board, hope you'll regale us wiht more stories of stooges! esp around the 1971 era and the electric circus!
Back to top Go down

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:33 pm

wow...very welcome Nitebob!!

Paul thanks..hilarious Leee text!!!
WAS it Iggy's puke????NOOOO..purple??? huh...Vomit

still a mystery to me why Iggy was painted purple in the photo i posted below.
btw i see now that it never could be the same period..cuz Iggy got those glasses like he wore in the period after '77...

HJW I have to check the books and other stuff i read..to get the tin-man idea correct for you..that will take a time..IF i can find it back..

Ungano's - Page 4 Iggypa10

Last edited by ZinZin on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:42 pm

well yeh, like the 'actual' on from stoogehistory, lol

good to have you on board, hope you'll regale us wiht more stories of stooges! esp around the 1971 era and the electric circus!

I was at the Ungano's shows, and several other NYC shows including the Electric Circus.
I worked the Max's shows, 1973 Michigan Palace, Joint in the Woods, and Academy of Music shows.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:45 pm

that photo is just iggy paitning, zin, it was taken by a photographer, i think she has a book out, cant remember her name

Quote :
I was at the Ungano's shows, and several other NYC shows including the Electric Circus.
I worked the Max's shows, 1973 Michigan Palace, Joint in the Woods, and Academy of Music shows.

wow, lucky man, do you have any stories you could tell, about the guys back then, or the gigs nething 'crazy' happening?
Back to top Go down

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 1:57 pm

yes please Nitebob and to all who experienced the earlier gig's!
Love to read the crazy stuff!!!

HjW yr right. i remember now Neutral
hoped it was from a crazy act..
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Tin Man/Mechanical Man reference was when the Psychedelic Stooges just started out and Iggy was painting himself white or silver and wearing some metal foil wig contraption with other metal shit.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:06 pm

I've always thought of it as a glam thing before glam. Just dressing up.

Wow THE Nitebob Shocked welcome to the forum! Very Happy

Is there any chance of more (or at least better sounding) recordings of The Stooges in 1971?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Quote :
Is there any chance of more (or at least better sounding) recordings of The Stooges in 1971?

good question!

anything you recorded yourself Nitebob?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:30 pm

think so? it'd'b a bit of dull encore thing, its a great song, i like it, but as an encore it wouldnt work

someone mentioned they played upper egypt lower egypt or something, maybe that was it?

I'm pretty comfident it would have been "Lost In The Future", on its first take it already sounds good enough to be on Fun House.

I think you mean "Upper And Lower Egypt". Its a Pharoh Sanders song (its where the bass riff of "Little Doll" was stolen from). This has been mentioned a few times but its alway been confirmed that this was the last song played before the encore. It was just a renamed L.A. Blues.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm

they ripped it off pharoah sanders, it wasnt like a cover right? like the MC5 one, i think they called upper nad lower egypt, i dunno, but yeh, i spose it was just a name for the 'end jam' as it was

altho its hardly as if they just played the exact LA blues u'no, so each 'ending' was differnet - i presume

dunno, but yeh probly was lost in the future - or some unknown song!

isnt there like some still unreleased song from the funhouse sessions? i think i remember reading that, though i could be gettin mixed up with that asthma attack on off the stooges
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

No it wasn't a cover. All Pharoh Sanders songs are like "L.A. Blues" really Laughing but at one point you can clearly hear the "Little Doll" bass line.

Of course it wont be "L.A. BLues" note for note as it was a freeform jam.

Theres a rumour that "Dog Food" was recoreded before the proper Fun House sessions but Don Galluchi hated it, though this seems highly unlikely. Why would he allow such an angry song as "T.V. Eye" but refuse "Dog Food"? But "Asthma Attack" WAS recorded for the first album.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:05 pm

Wow, It's Nitebob ! Cool to meet you man !

Yeah, any recording's or photo's you did yourself back then ? or more stories you can share ?/

PS - My dad was at the Michigan Palace 73 show ! Smile

Were you at any other Michigan Stooges shows ?

Cheers !
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 pm

dogfood was probly nthi like the soldier version, so maybe it was unrecordable, and they didnt play it so it was prolby unformed or something

wonder if its in the vaults somewhere!

wish theyd release asthma attack
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ungano's - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ungano's   Ungano's - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ungano's
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: