Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I Got A Right

Go down 
+15
Paul T
iggy-fan
mc
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
eusebioneto
TED
JW82
Lucas
jimmyo
adams66
Nadja
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE
Petrie Terrace
homesickjameswilliamson
the5thramone37
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 pm

i noticed theres alotta talk about dfferent versions of I got a right and also somewhat of Gimme Some Skin...can someone do a brief explaination of the different versions and which ones better.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 9:40 pm

well bomp, and easy action on the first disc of heavy liquid documented the stooges working on gimme some skin and i got a right, these are the main recordings, i also have one from 1971 of the asheton/williamson guitar band, but those are the main ones, which have been remixed and stuff, like on the stooges extended play by easy action, which has two sets of vocals, a cuple seconds after the main set, but the best and most powerful, therefore most stoogelike are on a compilation set i saw on itunes called Godfathers of LA Punk, yet they were recorded in England! but get these, they are sooo good, i burnt them onto a CD and am blown away each time, it gets u so pumped up!!
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:04 pm

thanks alot man!
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Sorry, I guess some of the confusion may be down to how I worded my reply in the other thread. What I meant by the original version of "I Got A Right" is the version recorded in London as a demo pre the "Raw Power" sessions, and released on Siamese Records. I just called it the original version because it's the first version that was released. What separates this version/mix of "I Got A Right" from the others is that, like Gimme Some Skin/Scene Of The Crime/Sick Of You/Tight Pants, it's the bands finished demo, ie the version they thought sounded best.

There are near endless alternate takes of "I Got A Right" from the same sessions, some released a few years ago on a Bomp label cd that I don't have to hand, and others in the "Heavy Liquid" cd box-set that came out a while back ( there's also at least one live version, released on the "Live 1971" album ).

Re "Gimme Some Skin", as far as I'm aware, and I could be wrong, there's only one complete take circulating , and that's the one originally released on the b-side of the Siamese "I Got A Right" single. It's also on the "Extended Play" cd, and in the "Heavy Liquid" box-set, along with an instrumental version. Again, it's a pre Raw Power demo recorded in London in '72.

I'm sure both these songs/versions must be available on about a dozen different cd's, but they're both on the "Siamese Dogs" cd for sure.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Oops!, guess Homesick covered all that whilst I was typing, feel free to ignore my previous post!
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 10:10 pm

thanks to you too man!
Back to top Go down
PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE

PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-31

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 3:38 am

I Got A Right, in my opinion, is the most straight forward punk rock song the Stooges ever recorded. The solo is simply ferocious.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 12:56 pm

PSYCHEDELIC_STOOGE wrote:
I Got A Right, in my opinion, is the most straight forward punk rock song the Stooges ever recorded. The solo is simply ferocious.

I prefer 'Scene of the Crime' as a straightforward punk rock song - one of the best riffs ever! (Solos matter less to me, generally)
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 4:07 pm

I still maintain that if you come across anyone who has never heard of Iggy Pop or the Stooges, and you want to give them a taster, then all you need to do is play them "I Got A Right".
It's the very essence of Iggy condensed into one fantastic song.
The lyrics sum his attitude up perfectly and the music is powerful beyond belief. Short, sharp and superb.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
Half Alive Incubator Baby
jimmyo

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2007-05-08

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 4:12 pm

i have the "best of bomp" (circa 78-79) which featured the first proper releases of gimme some skin and i got a right.

it's on white vinyl. does anybody else have this?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 4:44 pm

adams66 wrote:
I still maintain that if you come across anyone who has never heard of Iggy Pop or the Stooges, and you want to give them a taster, then all you need to do is play them "I Got A Right".
It's the very essence of Iggy condensed into one fantastic song.
The lyrics sum his attitude up perfectly and the music is powerful beyond belief. Short, sharp and superb.
Cheers,
Richard

this song doesn't do that much for me. as for it being a good introduction to the band - it really only shows one side of them, the overtly punk-ish side
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 4:59 pm

Iggy once said about I got a right+ ┬┤everbody loves that song┬┤
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 4:00 pm

Nadja wrote:

I prefer 'Scene of the Crime' as a straightforward punk rock song - one of the best riffs ever! (Solos matter less to me, generally)

I think that 'Gimme Some Skin' is the most punk rock song Stooges ever recorded.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 4:20 pm

I used to have it, I always thought there would be a volume 2
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 1:24 pm

JamesWilliamson82 wrote:
Nadja wrote:

I think that 'Gimme Some Skin' is the most punk rock song Stooges ever recorded.

maybe you've got a point there. But overall 'Scene of the Crime' is a better song.
Back to top Go down
eusebioneto

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-02-11

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 2:24 am

Anyone knows Gimme Some Skin lyrics?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:08 am

theres a thread in here with them... somewhere
Back to top Go down

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 1:51 pm

eusebioneto wrote:
Anyone knows Gimme Some Skin lyrics?

Gimme some skin
Gimme some skin
Oh baby gimme some skin
Try to gimme some skin
Damn
Damn

Time for man
She got some xxxx
She uses me whatever I am
She uses me and takes what is grand
But I don't mind
If your mind is gone
If you want my body
You gotta gimme skin all day long
Gimme some skin
Gimme some skin
Better believe I ain't no fool
I'll be choosing if I think it's cool
xxxx show them my rights
Baby baby baby gonna have mine

Oh man if you like my band
If you want my body
You just gotta gimme some skin
Gimme some skin
Gimme some skin
Oh baby gimme some skin
Gotta gimme some skin
Should!
Can't fuck that up

Time for man
She got some xxxx
Live it all out, live it all in
Gotta come here honey gimme some skin
But I don't mind
If your mind is gone
If you want my body
You gotta gimme skin all night long
Gimme some skin
Gimme some skin
Honey gimme some skin
Gimme some skin
Gotta gimme some skin
Gimme some skin
Gotta gimme
Hey

Anybody knows the XXXX word in the song?
Back to top Go down
eusebioneto

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 6:08 pm

No, there are some parts missing, like "sucks a man like a *** asshole" (I think it is written this way).

XXX isn't just a word, are some parts of the song.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 7:25 pm

She uses me whatever I am
She uses me and takes what is grand
- is replaced by the far cooler "She shoots speed right up her ass, she shoots speed and she smokes grass" on the Revenge twofer Kill City/I'm Sick of You CD

Some other differences: Can't fuck that up - becomes "Get Fucked Baby", Live it all out, live it all in - is "Whip it all out, whip it all in"

XXX is lyrics they couldn't work out I guess. On this one the first and last XXX is "Sex all Night" then something I can't work out.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 8:27 pm

Nadja wrote:
JamesWilliamson82 wrote:
Nadja wrote:

maybe you've got a point there. But overall 'Scene of the Crime' is a better song.

Yeah, musically it is definately Smile I mentioned Gimme Some Skin as the most punkish song they did (in my opinion) cuz it's structure is simpler than any other from Raw Power era. Kinda spontaneous feeling Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 8:30 pm

jimmyo wrote:
i have the "best of bomp" (circa 78-79) which featured the first proper releases of gimme some skin and i got a right.

There are several different presses of this LP. First 500 in US was on white Vinyl.
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
eusebioneto

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 9:47 pm

"Cock in My Pocket" is also a little punkish.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 11:11 am

eusebioneto wrote:
"Cock in My Pocket" is also a little punkish.

I'm sure it is, but I haven't heard it yet
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:16 pm

I always thought that "Cock In My Pocket" was more of a straightforward old fashioned rock'n'roll song, more Chuck Berry than anything else, but then twisted, sped up and spat out again.
It's a terrific song. My old band used to play a very slow bluesy version of CIMP which was hilarious.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I Got A Right Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Got A Right   I Got A Right Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Got A Right
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: