Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

quick (and not very scientific) survey

Go down 
+13
MJG196
Donald
J.N
adams66
homesickjameswilliamson
Loose1969
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Bewlay Brother
cb
sickness
heavy liquid
iggy-fan
Nadja
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

quick (and not very scientific) survey Empty
PostSubject: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 1:46 pm

What are the kind of reasons that other members got into the Stooges ?

a) You're lucky enough to live or to have grown up in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area and to know all the relevant rock history
b) You're lucky enough to have parents who grew up in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area and who know all the relevant rock history
c) Recommendation of a friend
d) discovered them more or less by accident!
e)you wanted to find out more after their comeback tours and album
f) you wanted to find out more as part of a general interest in (punk) rock
g) Other (you can specify if you want)

Myself, it's f)
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 1:58 pm

g) My big brother have "Raw Power" . I listened on that along with NY Dolls and Sparks. Forget it under my Kiss days 74-79. Interested in the old bands again because I saw Johnny Thunders in a Swedish anti drug documentry TV program. Taped my brothers records and from there I´m a huge fan. But for the first Stooges albums it took some years before I bought.
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 1:58 pm

F for me, too.

sickness

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 2:40 pm

i have chosse 2:

then i really got into that thing called 'punk rock' so i:

f) you wanted to find out more as part of a general interest in (punk) rock
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 3:05 pm

F
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 6:17 pm

D and G

I used to book bands and a club in Washington, D.C., having a rare night off, wanting to see Iggy who I'd barely heard about, and a band memeber didin't want me to go, "You'll get hurt!" so like a fool I didn't. Then I saw the Behind the Music episde, found the Net 54 Iggy board, wrote Cyd (Rode Hard) there and she told me to get Nude and Rude and Kiss My Blood. After seeing the video, I was in a fever/coma for a week geek , couldn't find anywhere concert dates were posted, and with Dirt's help, iggypop.com was born -- to find and post dates.

And I still NEED MORE.

cb
Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com
Bewlay Brother

Bewlay Brother

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 6:55 pm

It happened several years ago. I was really into Bowie's music and I knew he produced some Iggy's albums.

Yeah, I remember that day when I got Stooges self-titled. I was listening to it over and over again all f***in' day long. Just could not stop.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 7:56 pm

B for me
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 pm

G.

The way I found out about the Stooges is rather bizarre really. I heard The Fuzztones w/Ian Astbury doing "Down On The Street" and just loved it. Shortly thereafter I got a copy of Guitar World with a huge Stooges article and Ron Asheton interview.

I then went out and bought Fun House. Thus the addiction began...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2008 10:34 pm

that guitar world magazine, i also have, its a excllent issue, tells all about rons studio stuff and all that, i lovee it
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 12:59 am

D.

I was in HMV just pissin away time waitin on a friend and saw the name ''iggy Pop'' i know i'd heard it before but couldnt put anything to it, the album was Penetration: Best of the Demos and Rehearsals, which was oddly, only released a couple months b4 i made the purchase (altho in 2005 alone i think there was like 11 iggy/stooges albums released) it was £10 which was exactly how much i had in my pocket, so i bought it; and from one to like 66 CDS!!
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:49 am

Loved Bowie and especially Low, so I got The Idiot, then Lust For Life then Raw Power, then all the rest, because I was hooked! But this was the early 1980s and Iggy decided to call it a day for a while after the Zombie Birdhouse period (that's an album that I love, actually).
So I had a few very quiet Pop years as my interest in other music grew, but then Iggy returned with Blah-Blah-Blah at the same time as I went to University and I finally got to see him perform and things were never quite the same again!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm

D, I think
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUoTKokB3DQ10lxKmXL7WbA/videos?
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:57 pm

F and G I suppose. They always used to bang on about the Stooges and the MC5 in the NME so when they reissued the albums in around 1977 I checked them out.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 8:52 am

It was a natural progression from the Velvet Underground for me.

Velvet Underground > Stooges > New York Dolls

I call it the Holy Trinity.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:15 pm

Doors-Velvet Underground-Bowie-Iggy-Dolls
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:32 pm

G

My mommy had a vynil of Lust for Life and I couldn't get enough of it when i was about 8-10 years old. Bands like Nirvana, Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr were getting popular in those days and I jumped on the train.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:45 pm

mg196 wrote:
It was a natural progression from the Velvet Underground for me.

Velvet Underground > Stooges > New York Dolls

I call it the Holy Trinity.

Is the holy trinity (not to step on anyone's religious shoes) but is that not the stooges, dolls and MC5?

VU werent so much punk, well they were but they were more just avant garde stuff, the stooges, dolls and MC5 started that whole, we have an idea and force u'no, like che - armed revolution
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Interestng to read all these replies. I'm kind of surprised that no-one answered a straight a), c), or e) though
Back to top Go down
iggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-03-13

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 pm

Nick Kent's review of Raw Power in the NME in 1973.
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:34 pm

For me it was more or less an accident.
When I was 14 (I think) I read about the Ramones. Then I heard their first album and became a fan. So I got Joey Ramone's Don't Worry Bout Me, with a song called 1969. Seeing it was a Stooges song, I went to a website I know where you can listen many records. There were three Stooges records ; I chose the one called The Stooges. And that was it. I got everything I could about the band (but there's not much where I live... I managed to get Please Kill Me and the first two records)
Sadly, some links on that site don't work for me ... Raw Power is one of them. I never heard this album. Sad
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 5:26 am

Raw Power is must hear !! Order it online !

Can i get a link to your avatar ? its awesome, do ya have a full size of that picture i mean ?
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 10:59 am

I got it from my Fun House remaster. Here's a link (I really love this picture) https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img169/8451/stoogesfunhouseas6.jpg

For Raw Power, I'll buy it as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 3:35 pm

terrific pic, thanks for the link!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: quick (and not very scientific) survey   quick (and not very scientific) survey Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

quick (and not very scientific) survey
Page 1 of 1