Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer

Go down 
+3
iggy
MJG196
homesickjameswilliamson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Empty
PostSubject: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 4:07 am

Hey, anyone ever heard of The Faces, the band ronnie wood (stones) and rod stewart used to be in, when rod was cool, lol.

theyre the closest thing i can hear to the stooges, i wonder is the mix of bass and treble on the guitar whilst being clear enuff to hear rod's voice, drums n bass, what iggy was lookin for on Raw Power? cos the 'rockier' numbers on a nod is as good as a wink ... to a horse have (if turned to ear deafening level) as much power as the stooges, and its notoriously rough as well, a la the stooges; thoughts anyone?

HJW
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 8:07 am

They just sound like any other pub rock band to me. Sorry, dude. I dont see (hear) the similarities!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
iggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-03-13

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 5:41 pm

I'm with mg on this one. The essential ingredient missing from the Faces is innovation. It's difficult in a world where all music exists, but if you can imagine yourself back in 1973 and hearing the Stooges or the Velvet Underground for the first time, they sounded like nothing else at all. It was a total shock hearing this stuff in a world full of Deep Purple, David Bowie and Trex. Innovation! Plowing one's own furrow regardless of everyone else.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Yeh, i get both of you, but its not the notes they play, its that ramshackle jokey way of playing that sounds like the stooges, and even like 32 years later i was still and am still blown away by the stooges! they are one and only's
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 12:36 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Yeh, i get both of you, but its not the notes they play, its that ramshackle jokey way of playing that sounds like the stooges, and even like 32 years later i was still and am still blown away by the stooges! they are one and only's

In that case, I'd say they were sloppy in a Garage-rock sorta way...but they all played their instruments WAY too well!

By the way, what the hell is up with that avatar, Homesick?! Looks like Iggy was just liberated from Auschwitz by the Allies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 2:17 pm

mg196 wrote:

By the way, what the hell is up with that avatar, Homesick?! Looks like Iggy was just liberated from Auschwitz by the Allies.

Heyhey cool down MG! I like his new avatar a lot Smile
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:14 pm

ZinZin wrote:
mg196 wrote:

me too, i love it
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Lol, never imagined the avatar would create its own thread within a thread, lol, yeh its off the cover of the program for mass liberation or blah blah blah stooges review, by lester bangs in creem
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 am

ZinZin wrote:

Hey ZinZin, just makin' an observation. All is cool! Anyways, this IS a Stooges board...we all better have thick skin! I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 pm

mg196 wrote:

Hey ZinZin, just makin' an observation. All is cool! Anyways, this IS a Stooges board...we all better have thick skin! I love you

Haha, ofcoarse man. It's that I like to react bom
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:12 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Hey, anyone ever heard of The Faces, the band ronnie wood (stones) and rod stewart used to be in, when rod was cool, lol.

theyre the closest thing i can hear to the stooges, i wonder is the mix of bass and treble on the guitar whilst being clear enuff to hear rod's voice, drums n bass, what iggy was lookin for on Raw Power? cos the 'rockier' numbers on a nod is as good as a wink ... to a horse have (if turned to ear deafening level) as much power as the stooges, and its notoriously rough as well, a la the stooges; thoughts anyone?

HJW

I've never thought the Faces sound like the Stooges but Rough Justice off the last Stones album sounded a bit like the Faces
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 6:32 pm

rough justice? no way, lol, u'no how that sounds like? the stones, exactly like the stones, its so them, the guitar is keith the mix emphasises their biggest u'no, sounds nothin like em, but i meant that the faces played in the same sorta ramshackle way the stooges did, u'no teetering on the edge, gonna fall apart type thing, but the main thing was the attitude and the mix on a nod is as good as a wink to a horse, that rawness and heavy bass and heavy treble with the vocals, bass and drums still intact
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 6:59 pm

I've always been slightly surprised that since Woody's been in the Stones (only 33 years now...) that there haven't been more instances of the Stones sounding even a teeny bit like the Faces. But they generally just sound like the Stones. And what a sound that is.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Yeh ano, stones are amazing, second only to iggy/the stooges!

the reason ronnie wood doesnt input much of faces spirit is cos all the music even back to mick taylor days is always jagger/richards, ronnie didnt even do anything for A Bigger Bang, in his autobiography he says its ok though, cos he expresses himself through his art and his own albums of which he has like 6 or 7 i think, hes a cool guy, but the stones are primarly jagger and richards, and if u wanna get to the nucleus of the band and their decisions - richards!
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 4:39 pm

If you check out According to the Rolling Stones he has contributed licks and songs only to have the writing credit go to Jagger/Richards Exclamation
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 11:20 pm

yeh ano, he wrote its only rock n roll, well the music anyway, before even joining the band! lol, everyone was over at his party house and jagger wanted help with a song, and in return jagger wrote lyrics for a song that would appear on one of ronnie's albums
Back to top Go down
stdtheband

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 9:52 am

they were more of a Rolling Stones type band, also produced by Jimmy Miller (WHO DID THE STONES BEST ALBUMS). The Faces were great musicians, but only came in to their own on Rod's first solo album, which really was a Faces album, but they called it a solo to sell Rod as an artist instead of the band as a band. It worked, shortly there after, Ronnie joined the Stones.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stereo-Transmitted-Disease/8547504
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 4:57 pm

I read that Faces article in Uncut this month, and they just played on rod's album as musicians he knew u'no, not to sell albums, they didnt mind his solo success and interestingly the move to the stones was orchestrated by the sharpest man in music Mick Jagger. the faces were rivalling the stones in popularity in the states and increasingly popular in the UK and jagger thought it best to clip their wings, smart guy that jagger and the rest of the faces were so worried that rod was gonna leave they never thought ronnie wood be the first one away
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer   A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Face is as good as a Stooge ... to a Producer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: