Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

On par with Dylan

Go down 
+3
Nadja
Gimme some skin
homesickjameswilliamson
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 1:03 am

Seriously, does anyone realise how bright Iggy is? Honestly, he's the only popular musical figure along with dylan, who's genius blows me away sometimes, and annoys me that he's overlooked, for example, i like greek mythology and was looking at stuff about hyacinth, a divine hero, son of a spartan or macedonian king, the old story, but i remembered the name, in regard to a guy, as iggy. i remember reading that iggy used to play a role called ''hyacinth'' in his school days, i always thought that that was weird, u'no why would he use a womans name, but there it is, a greek god, and he was younger than me at the time, magnificent bastard
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 1:16 am

Reminds me of an interview with Iggy on Dutch tv last year. 'Some people have talent to make really..err.. wordsy songs, like Dylan, and they're brilliant. Then there's everyone else thinking they are Dylan and they annoy the shit outa me.'
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 1:24 am

Great quote, thanks
Back to top Go down

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 6:17 pm

For me it started with the music and seeing his performance as a 9 year old kid on the t.v, to realize... he had a power that overruled everything! I thought this must be a F* smart bright strange specimen..what is it about this guy? I don't know anybody else who can dig such contrary experiences, is smart as hell and al the way still doing his thing: making music, still living and still embodying raw power! so YES I DO realize how bright he is Idea
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 8:33 pm

He has a very literary intelligence - must get it from his English teacher dad!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 9:05 pm

Nadja wrote:
He has a very literary intelligence - must get it from his English teacher dad!

Probly, tho im sure it probably sprouted from his own intellectual development - because the mans a genius, or at least very bright - usually with parents in a teaching profession children tend to move away from their parents, its a form of rejection, and teachers at high school level are notorious under read, and if they lived in a trailer where would all the books he (osterberg sr) should have been reading?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 9:24 pm

I was just pointing out the literary link with his dad, children usually do inherit something from their parents, and where's the evidence that all high school teachers 'are notoriously under-read', as you put it? and you really mean to say that just because they lived in a trailer they wouldn't have had room for some books?
honestly, you guys are so argumentative sometimes
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 pm

sorry if it seemed argumentative Nadja, i was merely just commenting on your post
Back to top Go down

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 1:35 am

On the 'Jesus..this is Iggy' dvd/interview (if I'm right) Iggy's saying something what I'm freely translating as; that his father didn't read much books after his own study. He probably got fed up with to many useless information during his study. So lost his eagerness for learning or reading books.....(probably in the trailer were not too many books...hahaha). Nevertheless his father was a smart and intelligent person. I'm pretty convinced Iggy his intelligence and eagerness for learning sprout out of his own brightness. And the genes of a smart dad helped a lot. Iggy has definitely a literary intelligence...but that's not what's making him bright in a special way. It's a combination of different types of intelligence.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 12:16 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
sorry if it seemed argumentative Nadja, i was merely just commenting on your post

that's ok ... I've just had a bad week Mad

Last edited by on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Actually, while I'm in a (relatively) sunny mood, I'd like to volunteer an example of Iggy's effective use of language, what he said in an interview (can't remember right now which one, exactly) about Scott and Dave, in the earliest days when they used to hang around outside of that drugstore across from the record shop where he worked, that they used to just stand around literally doing nothing, 'like crows', this simile instantly conjures up an image of silent intentness, and watchfulness, and 'blackness' (maybe their black leather jackets and stuff) it really brings home to me what those guys must've been like back then, great image, also hints at intelligence, crows are meant to be very intelligent birds and all, although those guys were just stood around doing nothing, they weren't just dumb, and Iggy recognized that.
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 7:45 pm

Could be, Iggy's pop didn't have space for stacks of books in the trailer house but MAYBE he checked books outta the LIBRARY to read. Every go in a public library? It's mad fun. Insane I tell ya.
Back to top Go down

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Reminds me of the:

"Dum Dum Boys"

Things have been tough
Without the dum dum boys
I can't seem to speak
The language
I remember how they
Used to stare at the ground
They looked as if they
Put the whole world
Looked as if they put
the whole world down

The first time I saw
the dum dum boys
I was fascinated
They just stood in front
Of the old drug store
I was most impressed
No one else was impressed
Not at all
And we'd sing
da-da-da-da-da-da
dum dum day
Where are you now my
dum dum boys are you
Alive or dead
Have you left me the last
Of the dum dum daze
Then the sun goes down
And the boys broke down

People said we were negative
They said we'd take but
we would never give
But we'd sing da-da-da
Da-da-da dum dum day
Da-da-da-da-da dum
And hope it would pay
Da-da-da-da it's been
A dumdumdum day
A dum dum day

Now I'm looking for
The dum dum boys
Where are you now
When I need your noise

Now I'm looking for
The dum dum boys
The walls close in and
I need some noise
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Rode Hard wrote:
Could be, Iggy's pop didn't have space for stacks of books in the trailer house but MAYBE he checked books outta the LIBRARY to read. Every go in a public library? It's mad fun. Insane I tell ya.

ooh, yes, I kinda remember going past this huge building with lots of books in it once - maybe THAT was a library????? You think????Rolling Eyes

And ZinZin -yeah that song, Dum Dum Boys - knew about it, haven't actually heard it though
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 5:05 am

Yeh, ive heard of a library actually ... lol (not much a fan of them tho, i like to buy books maself, nothin like finding a gem in a 2nd hand bookshop to me)

But, in I Need More iggy talks about his dad and his job etc, ill just throw some quotes out to elucidate my original point;

My father had been a professional athelete up until the war...and then war broke out ... after the war, he decided to get an educationm as he'd been rather lacking in that area

...he was as facile at learning as i am...

after toying with te idea of being a denist, my father finally settled on teaching

i dont wanna get too argumentative as i find its kinda pathetic unless its someone you like and you've both been drinking and has something of substance as a subject, and i never started out in that tone or position with my original rebuke, but i just wanted to show you this is where i was coming from. the guy didnt have an education, and tried to keep ig away from organised sports not least because of his asthma, but also ig states in i need more that because of his own experience in sports and how he was let down, he didnt want the same to happen to iggy, and as he must have seen how bright iggy was, he says even as a child of 5 or 6 he picked up words like beauty and canoe with odd vowel order, i think he described it much quicker than everyone else

i also commented that it may have been a form of rejection because his father was in a position of education, and all children/adolescents go through that rejection phase, anyway, his form of rejection was not in education but sports, because (which only proves my point further) he had no education, or at least no intellectual development, enough to read so vastly as would account for a child / adult of iggy's intelligence and intellectual stimulus

When i was little, i was very talented at baseball - his game. i always insisted on using his bat

he goes on to talk about how he whacked the ball square at his dad's jaw and knocked out 4 teeth at a trailer park baseball match with his dad as pitcher

- again, just stating my case, if it sounds argumentative i apologise for the tone, but i didnt mean to strike it, arguments are pathetic and stupid - usually, a discussion though, surely that is what a forum is about, and what the romans created it for, though im sure in those days, and with roman blood it was probably more argument than discussion

Thanks,
HJW

(also you have to check out dum dum boys, its such a good song, just buy the idiot, and lust for life, i always consider them in tandem not least because of the year they were released, but because of the mindset iggy was in, and as an example of his musical aspirations at that time, like the stooges, funhouse, raw power, kill city etc etc etc, all his albums really)
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 1:24 pm

it's ok HJW, you don't have to justify yourself!! sorry if I did upset you or something (my turn to apologise). you've certainly got lots of interesting stuff to say
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Nah its alrite, i was justing reading I Need More last nite and thought i'd put that stuff up just to source my point i guess, i dunno, have u read i need more? its pretty cool, it takes a couple pages to get past the um, i dunno the phrase im looking for, but the way in which it reads, its just as if ur talkin to iggy in a bar about it, just various stories about ppl, its a great read, he should do another autobiography, a proper one, like chronicles by dylan, thats a great read, really really good, dylans amazing, theres another possible thread!
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:29 pm

THAT'S what I need to get--Dylan's book. I'm going to the library RIGHT NOW. I like biographies about famous people's exciting lives. I went to see his show here in town 2 years ago. I was so disappointed. I expected him to play guitar and harmonica under a spotlight and all he did was stand off to the side of the stage in the dark behind a keyboard. He hid under a cowboy hat! But he did play Watchtower and it brought the house down. And the 2 part PBS special all about him was so good. All those clips of when he was young and idolized. Then everybody HATED him for doing his thing. Laughing

Wonder what Ron thinks about being called dum-dum? haha Did he ever comment about that?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 6:37 pm

I think ''dum dum boys" is a term of endearment really, also yeh dylans book is really really great, typical dylan, also he doesnt play guitar live anymore because (as you will read in the book) he broke his hand really badly like 15 years ago or something almost gave up guitar cos he had to re learn how to play it, also he has arthritis real bad too and its probly really sore to hold a guitar for a whole gig, although i cant imagine how much better being hunched over a keyboard is!
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:01 pm

Somebody shouldda told me that about his hand. What a tragedy. I know he had a bad motorcycle wreck and was outta commission for almost a year. Maybe that's what broke his hand. I had no idea.

I just bought that movie Factory Girl about Edie Sedgewick. Andy Warhol's girlfriend in the 60's. Nico and Lou and Gerard Malanga and all those people are portrayed in it. There's a Dylan "character" who was hot for Edie. Dylan didn't want to be portrayed in the movie because she died from being a doper--cause she couldn't have him. He got married to somebody else. All very mysterious. Hope he talks about all his women, but he doesn't seem to be a kiss and tell kinda guy. I always admired a good dope movie. When they shoot up and fall on the floor and throw up all over. My first and favorite was "Man With the Golden Arm" staring Frank Sinatra! LOVED dat when I was little. So corny.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Yeh, apparently that movies bad, like really bad, lol, probly y dylan didnt wanna be associated with it, also the death of yr woman, yeh he had the motorcycle accident way back in 66 i think it was, if im right, or like 68 wasnt it? dunno, then he did the whole basement tapes thing with the band u'no, dylans so cool, lol
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Rode Hard wrote:

Wonder what Ron thinks about being called dum-dum? haha Did he ever comment about that?

Well, there certainly has been some friction between Iggy and the Ashetons over the decades, no matter how much they may all try to deny it now ... But I guess, in the end, these guys are just meant to be together!!
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 3:15 am

I AGREE. And besides ALL friends fight. Alls you can do is go forward. I gotta say tho, Ron talked about Iggy in "Please Kill Me" like a DOG. That stuff about Iggy would pick buggers and eat 'em and wipe his nose with his hand and lick it infront of girls at that Funhouse! He said Iggy would pass out and all those groupies would open his pants and try to get his hog out but it went flacid! AND Ron said Iggy pooped on the stage on Behind the Music. There IS such a thing as too much information.
Back to top Go down

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Rode Hard wrote:
I AGREE. And besides ALL friends fight. Alls you can do is go forward. I gotta say tho, Ron talked about Iggy in "Please Kill Me" like a DOG. That stuff about Iggy would pick buggers and eat 'em and wipe his nose with his hand and lick it infront of girls at that Funhouse! He said Iggy would pass out and all those groupies would open his pants and try to get his hog out but it went flacid! AND Ron said Iggy pooped on the stage on Behind the Music. There IS such a thing as too much information.

This information, I like it and I don't mind. Everybody knows Iggy was beyond in those days.... A Streetwalking Cheetah With A Heart full Of Napalm! A real wild animal. Love it!

But it shouldn't be put in front. Because people mostly can't shift out, that the music is where it's all about.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Ron also seems pretty aggrieved about Iggy in interviews like that lengthy one at PSF, although of course that interview, like 'Please Kill Me' also predates the reunion. Iggy certainly has been quite candid about the fact that he called on the Ashetons once more because he felt his career really had come to a dead end or something, he was needing a creative boost. At least, I'm sure that's what I've read in some stuff online (if memory serves me right), as for Ron, well nothing really has happened for him professionally in all these years after the Stooges. Which is really staggering considering his singular talent (unequalled, in my opinion) but then he's not much of a self-promoter I guess.
But Scott does have a job doesn't he? outside of music? is he in construction or something?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

On par with Dylan Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On par with Dylan
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next