Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

john cale

Go down 
+9
Rob Gallucci
zenta138
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
eusebioneto
Paul T
MJG196
adams66
Nadja
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 11:19 am

Rob Gallucci wrote:
[
Oh, and I don't want to re-start the Iggy debate previously in this thread, .

Good.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 6:40 pm

OK, here is my brief review!

First of all, the Cale mixes definitely tone it down. Very little distortion (compared to the released versions), much cleaner sound, and much more "detail" oriented. It seems Cale really wanted you to hear every instrument AND Iggy's voice. From the hand-claps to the delicate cymbal-taps.

Also, Cale played around much more w/ stereo separation...like the hand-claps in 1969. The released version has them pretty much centered, but Cale's mix puts them far-left. Very Velvet Underground in that approach.

Although I won't listen to these mixes as much, I do like listening to the differences between versions. Sorta like the Fun House sessions...you get to hear the songs evolve.

Now my question is, what to do with my single-CD version? Does everyone agree that the remaster makes it obsolete, or are there slight differences which make it worth keeping.

Last edited by mg196 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 6:55 pm

mg196 wrote:
Also, Cale played around much more w/ stereo separation...like the hand-claps in 1969. The released version has them pretty much centered, but Cale's mix puts them far-left.

I HATE it when he does that, I only want to hear Ron's guitar there.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 pm

"Does everyone agree that the remaster makes it obsolete, or are there slight differences which make it worth keeping."

I say keep it for the difference.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 8:06 pm

There's no way I'd ever dispense with any copy of the Stooges' debut album.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Good for you, Nadja, a girl after my own heart!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:06 pm

Give it away, introduce someone new to the Stooges.
Back to top Go down
TED
TED

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 am

"Give it away, introduce someone new to the Stooges."

mc I think he's wondering if it's worth his ears keeping two lots of something similar.

I think he chould, just for the change.

And introduce some new Stooge fans too.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:40 am

Nadja wrote:
There's no way I'd ever dispense with any copy of the Stooges' debut album.

Well, I have no desire to hold onto something for solely sentimental/collectible reasons. I have so much music on LP/CD that I don't want to keep anything I don't need - I don't have the space!

If there IS a difference (i.e. differeing track lengths, slightly different mixes) then I would want to hold onto it. If the only difference is the remaster greatly enhanced the muddier sound of the original release, then I am trading that sucker in!

Has anyone really examined the differences? There has to be at least a couple audiophiles here...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:11 am

mg196 have you not had a thorough listen through to both copies yourself?
I'm not aware of any difference, except the remaster being louder of course...altho that doesn't necessarily enhance the quality of the original sound
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Nadja wrote:
mg196 have you not had a thorough listen through to both copies yourself?

I have...but there always ends up being something that I miss! An extra second here...a fade out there...just seeing if anyone else noticed anything.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 pm

TED wrote:
"Give it away, introduce someone new to the Stooges."

mc I think he's wondering if it's worth his ears keeping two lots of something similar.

I think he should, just for the change.

And introduce some new Stooge fans too.

Didn't notice this post before...OK...good plan!!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Actually maybe I should listen thru to both copies back to back again myself. It's not like I need an excuse to do that..
If I do pick up on any material differences this time I'll make a note of it here.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 pm

Stooges 1st came in top 10 of some recent Rolling Stone poll, finally getting it's dues.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:26 pm

mc wrote:
Stooges 1st came in top 10 of some recent Rolling Stone poll, finally getting it's dues.

Shocked

whereabouts in the top ten?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 3:54 pm

well done stooges, and its a readers list too, wasnt expecting many to vote for it, is it a voted thing? wish i'd known
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 7:50 pm

mc wrote:
No. 8 - http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2009/08/17/readers-rock-list-1969-albums/

oh right, it was just for 1969. that makes it slightly less surprising.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:20 pm

ok, listened to both my copies of the debut (what better way to spend an evening?! Smile )with a view to comparing them...I appreciate now it's not that easy...!
Only two differences I can spot. One, on the fade-out to 'Dog'. Judging from the lead guitar it sounds like there's an extra second tacked on the re-master version, although I know the tracklengths for ALL the songs are listed as being the same on both copies. That is my strong impression, though.
The other difference is on the fade-out to 'No Fun'. Here, the lead guitar just seems to play a couple of different notes on the re-master compared to the original.
That's all I can pick up. OK, I'm sure there are other people better able and better equipped to pick up other miniscule differences but in my opinion there's nothing really that would prevent you giving your original copy away if you want mg196.
Anyway, 'We Will Fall' was the last track I heard....listening to it once in its entirety makes your head go fuzzy but listening to it TWICE in succession is just almost TOO relaxing!!! Phew, what an experience...!!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 pm

I could listen to We Will Fall all night long, I love it.
Back to top Go down
TED
TED

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:03 am

Me too mc, I used to think it was a filler .
Now I think it's a gem .
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:05 am

That's the Hippie in you Ted Smile
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:09 am

yeh took a while for me to get into it, but i very much like it

i think its a great track, mostly for the cale violin bit at the end, i think it saves it
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 4:36 am

mc wrote:

The only Stooges song I can actually say I HATE. Pure filler to me. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:54 pm

mc wrote:

have you tried it? I mean listening to it all night long?
I think I could as well. It's wrong to think of it as a 'song' (in fact I don't think that concept really applies to any of the first album, except 'No Fun' maybe), it's a mood. And I certainly don't listen to it just to wait for the viola at the end

oh, and if I like it so much, does that mean I'm just a closet hippie then Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

john cale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

john cale
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: