Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Motor City is Burning BB4

Go down 
+9
MJG196
Gimme some skin
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
all-vox-man
Nadja
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Donald
homesickjameswilliamson
mc
13 posters
AuthorMessage
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Motor City is Burning BB4 Empty
PostSubject: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:25 am

Just watched this, not bad I suppose, with some nice MC5 footage and some early Stooges footage in a slightly extended form with parts I hadn't seen on youtube or elsewhere.

If anyone thinks they have all the known early stooges footage on one disk, I'd love to trade or something.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:27 am

Just watched it as well, i thought it wsa brilliant, great programme, yeh longer sections of early grande stooges footage
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 1:43 am

Check the url for a bit more Iggy interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/detroit/video/
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 2:07 am

yeah, i have all that footage ! its all great !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 2:19 am

saw it at a friends..with loads of people around (who were not interested Angry ) anyway..too much MC5 to my opinion...not enough Stooges introduction. but Iggy was great. much cut up into small pieces. saw nothing new although...
ah man..the US should be much more aware about The Stooges role in music history! George Clinton was THE connection between black and white music in Detroit. the Gladstoneburry concert my friend couldn't make...so I missed that...arghhhhhhh.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 3:33 am

i never put 2 and 2 together b4 about them an alice coopoer but they effectively raped the stooges - and alice esp took from iggy!!! - i never realised, always thought bowie was the bandit! lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 3:18 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
i never put 2 and 2 together b4 about them an alice coopoer but they effectively raped the stooges - and alice esp took from iggy!!! - i never realised, always thought bowie was the bandit! lol
don't understand what yr saying HJW with;'....put 2 and 2 together b4 about them....?'.

but that Alice stuff..yeah true..never realized that aether.
Alice also! Too much attention on him..but yeah to the American's he was the one putting up 'glamrock' isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 3:45 pm

mc wrote:
Just watched this, not bad I suppose, with some nice MC5 footage and some early Stooges footage in a slightly extended form with parts I hadn't seen on youtube or elsewhere.

If anyone thinks they have all the known early stooges footage on one disk, I'd love to trade or something.

any details on what exactly this 'slightly extended footage' consisted of?

seeing as I didn't have access to this programme, and no invites from anyone to watch it with either Mad goddammit I gotta start mixing with the right people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
all-vox-man

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Just in case... anybody knows if this is available on the net?
Back to top Go down
all-vox-man

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2008 6:52 pm

If you're in the UK you can watch (or even download) the program here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009372j.shtml?src=ip_potpw

I would be very thankful if it becomes shared.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 2:41 am

Donald wrote:
Check the url for a bit more Iggy interview http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/detroit/video/

Thanks for sharing... cherry
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 4:06 pm

all-vox-man wrote:
If you're in the UK you can watch (or even download) the program here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009372j.shtml?src=ip_potpw

I would be very thankful if it becomes shared.

gawd why didn't I think of just going to the BBC website! thanks all-vox-man
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Donald wrote:
Check the url for a bit more Iggy interview [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/detroit/video/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/detroit/video/[/quote[/url]]

interesting to hear Iggy talk about Link Wray and 'Rumble' in this interview. I confess I never heard of either until Wray died a couple years ago. My technical know-how is rudimentary Embarassed but did Wray pioneer the use of distortion, or something?
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 9:52 pm

It is said that Wray invented the 'Fuzz'.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 10:09 pm

ZinZin wrote:
homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
don't understand what yr saying HJW with;'....put 2 and 2 together b4 about them....?'.

but that Alice stuff..yeah true..never realized that aether.
Alice also! Too much attention on him..but yeah to the American's he was the one putting up 'glamrock' isn't it?

Whatever Alice Cooper "took" from the Stooges, he sure turned to gold. Considering the Stooges never sold any records and Alice sold millions...
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Exactly, although albums sold doesnt equal quality music - as seen in the HOF thing going on, amean stooges doin a tribute to Madonna! lol

But yeh anyway, amean countless bands have stolen from the stooges and made money, nowadays you cant read a review about a band without ''the stooges'' popping up, and they usually arent that great to merit a stooges mention, and a more obvious example is the Dolls and whose taken from them amean bands like Kiss, Guns N Roses, Aerosmith to name three u'no and each have like a billion dollar franchise and they like couldntve taken more the dolls! lol

But i never realised, like i always thought that Bowie was the major thief, but he helped iggy an awful lot, not least with royalties n stuff, but helped him get back on track mentally with berlin n stuff, but i never considered how much alice cooper took from the stooges - although how could you fail to be inspired - or even steal a bit - from such a good band
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 11:05 pm

ok, what exactly did Alice Cooper steal, or think he/they?? were stealing from the Stooges?
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 11:07 pm

I remember Alice said in an interview that, when the band moved to Michigan, their music became harder with the influence of Michigan bands, especially the Stooges.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 09, 2008 11:19 pm

I don't know much about Alice Cooper I admit, but they seem to have emphasized 'image' over everything else. But it's obvious they liked to be theatrical! I don't know how 'genuine' they were underneath it all. Mind you it's hard to tell with most bands.
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2008 2:19 am

The original alice cooper band was a really good band. Saw them alot, the were very tight, and they put on a show. But they were straight ahead rock n roll, none of that drum solo shit.
Back to top Go down
all-vox-man

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Well... nobody's going to kindly share the documentary??
Back to top Go down
comaman

comaman

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 2:07 pm

I've been a fan of both Alice and Iggy since the 70's and I really don't see and Iggy influenced antics in either image or sound in Alice Cooper. Ever. The band moved to LA in late 1967 and changed name to Alice Cooper in march 1968. Later when they moved to Detroit they developed further, but I can't see any first hand influence of The Stooges there at all.

Sure, Alice must have felt right at home with the energy of MC5 and The Stooges there, and the spirit of all that must have been an inspiration for them. Just the fact that there were other acts doing something different to all the hippie groups of the time must have been an inspiration... I know Iggy like's to say that Alice stole his act but it's not true. Iggy says a lot of things as we all know... :-)

Alice have always had the greatest respect for Iggy though and says it's the one artist he doesn't ever want to follow on stage...

I'd definitely have to say that Bowie on the other hand shows quite a lot of Iggy influence. I read an interview with the late (and great) Mick Ronson where he said that for a long time Bowie was obsessed with Iggy Pop and wanted to be like him. Especially Iggy's darker low range singing voice is something that Bowie was in awe of, and copied ever since they got to know each other. Just listen to the low singing in Candidate off Diamond Dogs for instance, he had never sung in that register before. That same register as The Ig so often use...
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Quote :
I've been a fan of both Alice and Iggy since the 70's and I really don't see any Iggy influenced antics in either image or sound

i think its more in the shock thing, they had to sort of bring it up to stooge level, alice cooper says he could, ad no -one could (no one can yet!) go on and perform after iggy
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 pm

this is repeated again tonight, as part of a Motown night on BBC4 (UK) at 11.00pm (21/02/09)
Back to top Go down
iggy

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 9:29 pm

This excellent documentary is back on the BBC's website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b009372j/Motor_Citys_Burning_Detroit_from_Motown_to_the_Stooges/

But only till Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Motor City is Burning BB4   Motor City is Burning BB4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Motor City is Burning BB4
Page 1 of 1