Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld

Go down 
+17
dorianmode
Steve
Donald
iggy-fan
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
G, F#, E
popmansam
x2
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
Angusyd van Hyman
Loose1969
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Paul T
adams66
Nadja
sheddy
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 10:52 pm

I´m reading it now. Not so bad that I first thought. But he´s not a genuine The Stooges fan, so therefore he miss a lot with wrong dates and misspelled names and so. Enough entertainment to read thru.
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 11:57 pm

well he does express quite a lot of enthusiasm for the band, but yeah he certainly comes across as a newbie
and some elementary mistakes lifted straight from the likes of the 'Gimme Danger' book it seems like!!
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 2:13 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
It also has a photo of a solo late 1970s/early 1980s Iggy Pop gig
which it says is The Stooges.

Bowie on keyboards should have given that away! 1977 I suggest. I don't understand how anybody could make that mistake. Some of the other photos are interesting though but due to the earlier mistakes I don't have much confidence in the captions and dates.

The book is printed on pretty poor quality paper too. The spine cracked as soon as I checked the photos in the middle. I expect all the pages to fall out when I actually read it Laughing
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 4:59 pm

adams66 wrote:
To be fair it's sometimes the book designer who sources the pictures - that's what happened in the case of The Complete Iggy Pop. A bunch of pictures were sent to me to sort out, choose, and suggest different ones. What I realised then was that the picture libraries often supply a caption with the image that is totally and utterly wrong.

This is a tricky one and of course has led me into being a complete detail freak and insisting on doing photo research myself.

The mis-labeling by agencies can be hilarious. I do remember a huge feautre on Morrissey in The Guardian, which was illustrated by a full-page color photo of... Edwyn Collins! Mislabeled by the agency was their excuse.

How I laughed. But then I wrote a full-page obituary of Lowell Fulson, the blues singer who worte Reconsider baby, for The INdependent. I offered to look thru the photos for them. They declined.

I was pleased they decided to run the obit big, practically a whole spread. My pleasure was diminished when I saw they'd illustrated the obit with a full-page photo of.... David Ruffin.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Paul T wrote:
adams66 wrote:
To be fair it's sometimes the book designer who sources the pictures - that's what happened in the case of The Complete Iggy Pop. A bunch of pictures were sent to me to sort out, choose, and suggest different ones. What I realised then was that the picture libraries often supply a caption with the image that is totally and utterly wrong.

This is a tricky one and of course has led me into being a complete detail freak and insisting on doing photo research myself.

The mis-labeling by agencies can be hilarious. I do remember a huge feautre on Morrissey in The Guardian, which was illustrated by a full-page color photo of... Edwyn Collins! Mislabeled by the agency was their excuse.

How I laughed. But then I wrote a full-page obituary of Lowell Fulson, the blues singer who worte Reconsider baby, for The INdependent. I offered to look thru the photos for them. They declined.

I was pleased they decided to run the obit big, practically a whole spread. My pleasure was diminished when I saw they'd illustrated the obit with a full-page photo of.... David Ruffin.

my god, i cant believe that, especially if its gunna be in print for ever, personally i would have to have everything accurate

and thats especially annyoing im sure, to the family of someone, the picture to go along with the obituary is wrong! suppose ppl dont care just wanna get it out
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Would you guys recommend getting it ?

I'm probley going to go for Wild One.

Richards and Paul's are great !
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:25 pm

i dont think im guna get it, unless i can get it for like 50p somewhere, like second hand or something, didnt look that big and if the informations inaccurate then theres no point i guess

i think im gunna get wild one too

and complete iggy

and neighbourhood threat
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 8:34 pm

I'm sure it'll be selling for 50p soon enough, if there's that many copies in HMV as someone mentioned.

I guarantee you'll be impressed with the Wild One.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 12:08 pm

whoever it was said they would just buy it for 50p, they might as well save themselves even that. This book doesn't really add anything to the Stooges's story, altho it maybe shouldn't just be reviled
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 pm

Nadja wrote:
whoever it was said they would just buy it for 50p, they might as well save themselves even that. This book doesn't really add anything to the Stooges's story, altho it maybe shouldn't just be reviled
Tell us more? What are the mistakes, and what's it good on? Any good new interviewees, like Jimmy Recca? Does it really have mistakes lifted from Gimme Danger?

I wouldn't comment on other books, except that I knew the people from whom Joe Ambrose lifted material for gimme Danger. He didn't rip off stuff from my MOJO stories, because he only lifted whatever was available from the net - but if I were Ken Shimamoto, and had an entire James Williamson interview lifted without attribution, I would have sued his ass.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 3:15 pm

do you expect me to go into a whole lot of details here? why not get a copy yourself if you really want to know?

Last edited by Nadja on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 20, 2008 4:43 pm

i think im just gunna forgo the whole thing and not even get it, not even to 'complete the collection' kinda deal, it just sounds terrible and something i'd throw in the corner and forget if i even got thru it

plus unless there are new insights, which as ppl say, there arent, we dont need it, just someone tryna capitalise on the stooges new fame
Back to top Go down
Steve

Steve

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 2:30 pm

I wish I'd read all your comments before I parted with my £ on Amazon...shit!

I don't think any of you WON'T have it - but HMV (here at least) seem to have stacks of the Mick Rock Stooges photo book for £5!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/OceansofBliss
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 5:42 pm

hi Steve Hello

I guess I'm the only person on this board that hasn't got that Mick Rock book!
Back to top Go down
Steve

Steve

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:03 pm

Hey Nadja - You've seen it though right?
I love it...I have his Bowie and Syd Barrett books - they're great
too!
£5 - Ya can't go wrong!! :-)[/img]
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:08 pm

are you serious £5, i paid £20 for it, damn! tho it was like two years ago

i saw the original 1972 one in a second hand book shop for like £14

should i buyy or have bought this, as i last saw it a month ago?
Back to top Go down
Steve

Steve

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:11 pm

Yep £5 - couldn't believe it! I paid full wack for mine too...I was
suprised to find it so cheap - The original edition is quite different from the newer one...depends how much of a completist you are...Was thinking of picking up an extra copy and maybe framing up some of the photos hmmmm...
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:24 pm

good idea, i had been thinking the same, but didnt wanna rip them out of the book, or buy a new book!

but at that price i suppose i might
Back to top Go down
Steve

Steve

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:27 pm

I figure that if I was to buy (would have to find them for sale first!) prints or whatever - they'd cost way more than £5.
In fact, I reckon I've just talked myself into it!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:30 pm

yeh ano, and where would u get the prints, and some of the photos are huge, ike the double paged ones are big

and create a big wall montage out of the smaller ones!

also welcome to the board btw

Away beyond the Ishkabob
And Over The Propran Sea
You'll Find A Place Called Stoogeland
Where Very Soon You'll Be

- i do it for new members, lol
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Steve wrote:
Hey Nadja - You've seen it though right?
I love it...I have his Bowie and Syd Barrett books - they're great
too!
£5 - Ya can't go wrong!! :-)[/img]

no, I can't! thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Steve

Steve

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Are you both in the UK? Coz I'd be down to my Local HMV in a shot if I didn't have it!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:41 pm

yup, I definitely am (Glasgow), and yeah I'll be going down to HMV! (altho usually I don't buy much there anymore!)
Back to top Go down
Steve

Steve

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Cool! Love Glasgow...
No, I never buy anything from them either...too expensive - I pick everything up online...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2008 6:58 pm

that's nice that you like Glasgow Smile I'm a bit bored here at the moment, been here too long!

Last edited by Nadja on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld   The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Stooges: A Journey Through the Michigan Underworld
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Down on the Street.-
Jump to: