Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Theoretical 1971 album track listing

Go down 
+7
Paul T
adams66
Nadja
G, F#, E
JW82
mc
sweet_sixteen
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Theoretical 1971 album track listing Empty
PostSubject: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:51 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, so I thought i'd start of with a question for all the experts. I was wondering what a Stooges album would have looked like had Elektra not dropped them in '71. So far i figure 'I Got a Right', 'You don't want my name', 'I'm sick of you', 'gimme some skin', Who do you love' and 'I need You' (aka fresh rag) would be contenders. What others are out there that they played or demoed at the time that might have made the cut?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 6:25 pm

I really like "See Me Dancing" from the 1971 Factory show and was 'Private Parts' from around this time?
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 5:48 pm

I've read that they also had songs like 'N***er Man' and 'Egyptian Woman'. 'Private Parts' and 'Searching For Head' are from Funhouse period as far as I remember Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 5:58 pm

Also "Way Down In Egypt".

Last edited by G, F#, E on Wed May 21, 2008 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Egyptian woman, way down in Egypt ....
hmm, this 'Egyptian' theme...what was that all about? Question
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Iggy was fascinated by ancient Egyptian history. It's said that he decided to perform without a shirt in order to emulate the Pharoahs, who are nearly always depicted with bare chests. Plus some of his early stage moves were inspired by the stylised poses shown in pictures of the ancient Egyptians.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 6:19 pm

Completly out of context with the Egypt ideas (which Dave also loved) but I'm sure there's a Ron interveiw where he mentions some song called Toy Soldiers (or something similar) which was based on a song from one of Scott's previous bands.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:37 pm

I THINK way down in Egypt was essentially a jam, really a version of LA Blues, which they would do when the medication was right.

There was a fan-sheet called Popped, written by Natalie Stoogeling, which listed all their set, around the time they were working on Big TIme Bum as a single. I recall it included I Gotta Right, You DOn't Want My Name, and Fresh Rag.
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:46 am

So from what's been mentioned, would an 8-song tracklisting like this be considered plausible for a 1971 album release?

1. I Got a Right
2. You Don’t Want My Name
3. Big Time Bum
4. Gimme Some Skin
5. I’m Sick of You
6. I Need You (aka Fresh Rag)
7. See Me Dancing
8. That’s What I Like
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 11:42 am

I think I'm Sick Of You was not fully developed till they got to England so I wouldn't include it. Also I Got A Right was the only fully developed song that they recorded in England but was written iin 1971 so I doubt Gimme Some Skin was in the set list.

The proper name for I Need You IS Fresh Rag.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Isn't 'Big Time Bum' listed as 'See Me Dancing' in 1971 gig? Because on JLTS thread about his vynil version of that bootleg, 'Big Time Bum' is the song where Iggy whacks Ron with a mic chord. And on cd version, you can hear it on 'See Me Dancing'.
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 2:02 pm

I sthere any recorded version of these songs?... I've never heard any of them!
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 2:14 pm

Both "Penetration" and "I Need Somebody" are alleged to have been written in 1971, but this was probably after the band split in the summer. Iggy and James got together to write new material in the Autumn before James was laid low with (I think) hepatitis.

This sort of coincided with Iggy being picked up by Bowie's management team MainMan. Iggy was eventually flown to London in March 1972 to record a new, supposedly solo, album, but he insisted on bringing James with him to help write the songs. It was only after they couldn't find any other suitable musicians that the Asheton brothers were called in. But by this point many of the Raw Power era songs were already written. Hence Ron's reluctance to play them these days - he had no input into their creation.

With regard to the names of the 1971 live tracks. Some of the titles have almost certainly been invented by bootleggers over the years, so "Big Time Bum" is sometimes listed as "See Me Dancing" and so on.
What are the 100% correct song titles?
In all probability, these are lost in the mists of time... I doubt that even Ron would remember (and he was about the only heavy drug free one in the 1971 band), so what chance do we have, 37 years later!

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 3:00 pm

Quote :

1. I Got a Right
3. Big Time Bum
4. Gimme Some Skin
5. I’m Sick of You
7. See Me Dancing
8. That’s What I Like

how good an album would that have been, properly recorded, plus they (hypotheticaly) would have written some more songs while recording so there wouldve been even more amazing songs, damn, imagine that the stooges, funhouse, "way down in egypt" and raw power

i wonder what it wouldve been called, they had such amazing album titles Funhouse, Raw Power, i love those names

plus we may yet hear the elusive way down in egypt and more if this unganos thing comes through

its a pity they kept disbanding, they were/are such a good band, like an amazing band,is there no chance at all that these even a couple were recorded somewhere, they mustve, like the rehearsals tapes in 73, tho i suppose all the money went into the arm at that time

HJW
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 5:28 pm

What this thread really overlooks is that they WEREN'T writing songs in 71, by and large! And really, although the SOUND of that band wa monstrous, there is little there to lust after.

What I fantasise about, instead, is the 1974 album - essentially, muc of the material from Kill City, but played by The Stooges...
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 5:31 pm

I dunno, i love the 71 stuff paul, and - again hypotheticals - would prefer it to a 74 album, well maybe altho if we're talkin hypotheticals then i'd go for both lol

what would the tracklisting on a supposed 74 album go like?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 6:03 pm

world's forgotten boy wrote:
I sthere any recorded version of these songs?... I've never heard any of them!

same here! or not most of them anyway Laughing I was starting to think it was just me

Last edited by Nadja on Wed May 21, 2008 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 6:30 pm

A killer late 1973 / early 1974 album should have run like this -

Side 1 -
Head On,
Cock In My Pocket,
Johanna,
Heavy Liquid,

Side 2 -
Louie Louie,
I Got Nothing,
She Creatures Of The Hollywood Hills,
Open Up And Bleed (nice and long and moody)

Properly recorded, instead of those rehearsal versions we have, this would surely have sounded fantastic.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 6:31 pm

this hypotheftical 71 album is pretty much 'Live 1971 & Early Rarities" cd released by starfighter i think, its really muddy and impossible to listen to on a first listen, but once you crack it, you're rewarded with some of their best work, its so powerful i love see me dancing
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 6:38 pm

adams66 wrote:

Side 1 -
Head On,
Cock In My Pocket,
Johanna,
Heavy Liquid,

Side 2 -
Louie Louie,
I Got Nothing,

Properly recorded, instead of those rehearsal versions we have, this would surely have sounded fantastic.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Richard

Ah rite gotcha, sounds good! that wouldbve made a killer album, wow can u imagine if that was their 5th after raw power, 1971, funhouse and stooges

Altho!! i just noticed one big problem - Rubber Legs i love that song, i'd put it in - well now that i think about it i'd put it on the 6th album, they recorded enough material for two
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 7:34 pm

It's very confusing because a lot the songs mentioned would have been from late 1970 before James Williamson joined.

This is a basic guess from interveiws I've read of what could have been on the albums if they had been made at different points in time.

Asthma Attack
I'm Sick
Dance Of Romance (later in Ann)
The Secret Storm
Piss in Your Face
Spiders

1970: Post-Funhouse, Ron is lead guiatarist with and Bill Cheatham on rythm guitar:
Way Down In Egypt
N***er Man
Egyptian Woman
Private Parts

Early 1971: Ron Asheton and James Williamson on guitars
I Got a Right
You Don’t Want My Name
Big Time Bum (aka See Me Dancing)
Fresh Rag (aka I Need You)
That’s What I Like
What's You Gonna Do? (sung by Iggy this time Wink)

Late 1971: James Williamson on guitar, Ron on bass
Penetration (basic riff different lyrics)
RG Jones (basic riff of Search And Destroy)
Tight Pants (aka Shake Appeal)
I Need Somebody (basic riff)
Gimme Some Skin
I Got A Right (again)
Scene Of The Crime
I'm Sick Of You

Head On
Cock In My Pocket
Johanna
Heavy Liquid
Ritch Bitch
Rubber Legs (earlier called How It Hurts)
I Got Nothing
Wild Love (My Girl Hates My Heroin)
She Creatures Of The Hollywood Hills
Open Up And Bleed

Last edited by G, F#, E on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 8:10 pm

[quote="homesickjameswilliamson"]
Quote :

1. I Got a Right
3. Big Time Bum
4. Gimme Some Skin
5. I’m Sick of You
7. See Me Dancing
8. That’s What I Like

I'd also much rather hear great versions of the 71 stuff - I think the Demos and Live stuff from 73/74 probably couldn't be beat by a studio album of the stuff.

All of the 71 stuff can be heard on the 71 Rarities CD on Starfighter in true Lo-fi and on the Revenge - Kill City/I Got a Right CD in Hi-fi.

There are two other 1971 tapes in private hands: one I think is the very first gig they did in 1971, in April, and so maybe the first time they played these tracks live. The second is from mid May a few gigs before they imploded - possibly the concert where Iggy is rumoured to have vomited on Warhol girl Geri Miller and spouted the Dracula quote something like "Flies, give me big juicy flies!"
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 8:35 pm

Quote :
possibly the concert where Iggy is rumoured to have vomited on Warhol girl Geri Miller and spouted the Dracula quote something like "Flies, give me big juicy flies!"

WOW never heard about that, lol, sounds funny, iggys a witty guy
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 9:03 pm

This track 'Who Do You Love?' on 1971 gig doesn't seem to be Bo Diddley's track at all. I think that the lyrics (however you barely hear what Ig sings) are also made up. And the track in general seems to be kinda jam, with Ron and then James playing their solos.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 10:50 pm

adams66 wrote:

Side 1 -
Head On,
Cock In My Pocket,
Johanna,
Heavy Liquid,

Side 2 -
Louie Louie,
I Got Nothing,

Like a Star @ heaven would be a superb album!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Theoretical 1971 album track listing   Theoretical 1971 album track listing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theoretical 1971 album track listing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: