Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Old Mule Skinner

Go down 
+11
homesickjameswilliamson
JW82
freemind
Nadja
world's forgotten boy
J.N
iggycooper
Donald
adams66
G, F#, E
sweet_sixteen
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:01 pm

Donald wrote:
Nadja wrote:
'Crappy' was going waaay too far tho. It's not a word that applies to anything by the Stooges, in my opinion.

Have you heard Jesus Loves The Stooges? Very Happy

I like 'Jesus loves the stooges' Donald, altho I'm not certain which version I've got. And Richard, I like that piano especially, and Iggy just mumbling on in that 'out of it' way, that's what makes it good, for me.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 2:44 pm

I read somewhere that it's two takes spliced together.
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Nadja wrote:
J.N wrote:
Nadja wrote:
that last Stooges album wasn't crappy.
v
Thats impossible for me to understand that any old Iggy or Stooges fan could think something like you do.

well, believe it or not J.N., people do think differently.
I just don't think it's fair to call the Weirdness downright 'crappy'. However - to make it quite clear - that's just my OPINION.

Im well aware of that, but still its impossible to actually understand Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUoTKokB3DQ10lxKmXL7WbA/videos?
J.N

J.N

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 9:39 pm

JW82 wrote:
J.N wrote:
Nadja wrote:
that last Stooges album wasn't crappy.

Thats impossible for me to understand that any old Iggy or Stooges fan could think something like you do.

I think 'The Weirdness' wasn't a great album. Definately not my favourite Stooges' one. Only except a few tracks. As I said before, Stooges' tracks on 'Skull Ring' sounded a lot better than on 'The Weirdness' lp.

Agree on that! Which I belive made my disapointment larger, since I thougth they still could make great songs.
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Lucas wrote:
J.N wrote:
world's forgotten boy wrote:
They are not that good, Repo man and Fire engine are quite cool!... and those songs are better than every almost every song on Zombie Birdhouse. They should have been used there!

On the other hand all songs he ever did, besides those on the last crappy Stooges album a few years back, are a lot better than Zombie B-house Wink

You can't be serious, Zombie Birdhouse is a fantastic album

Would you please mind to tell me why?
Back to top Go down
thewinterofmydiscontent

thewinterofmydiscontent

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2016-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:04 am

adams66 wrote:
I'm not sure that we have ever been 100% certain of who played on "Fire Engine", "Old Mule Skinner" and "Warrior Tribe".
That was Iggy's band at the time (and rather good they were too, in my opinion) and it is extremely likely it is them on these recordings, but I'd have to agree with sweet sixteen that the drumming does sound rather like a drum machine. Which is odd, as Larry's drumming didn't usually sound like that. Anyone have any definite facts on this?

I agree they were rather good, but I can confirm it's not Iggy's 82-83 live band on those 3 songs.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 1:08 pm

thewinterofmydiscontent wrote:
adams66 wrote:
I'm not sure that we have ever been 100% certain of who played on "Fire Engine", "Old Mule Skinner" and "Warrior Tribe".
That was Iggy's band at the time (and rather good they were too, in my opinion) and it is extremely likely it is them on these recordings, but I'd have to agree with sweet sixteen that the drumming does sound rather like a drum machine. Which is odd, as Larry's drumming didn't usually sound like that. Anyone have any definite facts on this?

I agree they were rather good, but I can confirm it's not Iggy's 82-83 live band on those 3 songs.

Tell us more! Who were the musicians?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
thewinterofmydiscontent

thewinterofmydiscontent

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:15 pm

I asked Larry M. if it was them and he said not.

As to who, I'm not sure; Al Jourgensen is credited as co-writer of Fire Engine, so I'm guessing him and perhaps some other members of Ministry.
Back to top Go down
thewinterofmydiscontent

thewinterofmydiscontent

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Further investigation led me to this:

Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Further investigation led me to this:

Haha I just found that too. Its Jourgensens other band. Even if Ive known about the Fire Engine-song since short after it was recorded I never heard that anyone else recorded it.
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:28 pm

"Iggy Pop and Al Jourgensen co-wrote Fire Engine, if you believe the liner notes, but I'm pretty sure a 4 year old might have written the lyrics: "fire engine fast, fire engine slow, fire engine take me where I want to go""

http://www.legendsmagazine.net/158/revco.htm
Back to top Go down
thewinterofmydiscontent

thewinterofmydiscontent

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:34 pm

'Also on the record is the silhouette of Iggy Pop in the form of "Fire Engine," a song Jourgensen wrote with the Stooge.
"We offered him to come down and sing it for us, but his best friend and longtime manager died that week and we had to keep on schedule to get both
these releases out. So we had to go for it ourselves. Iggy and I actually wrote that song 20 years ago.... I came across it as I was perusing through my
tape library trying to get organized and thought, Wow, this is good stuff. Why didn't we ever release this?"'
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 2:38 pm

In my opinion one of the best post-Stooges songs Iggy ever been involved in.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 7:05 pm

That's great - never heard the cover of "Fire Engine" before - or is it Iggy's that's the cover? Surprised

Nice investigations into this song - I wonder how Iggy hooked up with Al? It's possible that some of Ministry might be that band. Who'd have thought it?
And how did Ric Ocasek of the Cars apparently produce the sessions?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
thewinterofmydiscontent

thewinterofmydiscontent

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2016 2:04 pm

adams66 wrote:
adams66 wrote:

Tell us more! Who were the musicians?
Cheers,
Richard

Heard from Rob DuPrey that it was 'The guys from the Cars.'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Mule Skinner   Old Mule Skinner - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Mule Skinner
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum