Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What Are The Odds...

Go down 
+10
soldier
G, F#, E
Nadja
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
adams66
Chazz Avery
world's forgotten boy
Gimme some skin
homesickjameswilliamson
the5thramone37
14 posters
AuthorMessage
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

What Are The Odds... Empty
PostSubject: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 8:55 pm

that after the stooges are done touring this year, they produce a new album??!!! Anyone have any opinions on this?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 12:06 am

100%

well, very likely, iggys taken a stones schedule as in tour a bit, rest and release an album promotion and tour rest and start over, that kinda thing, so i'd say yes, ig and ron have said so in interviews
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 3:49 am

Really? Cool! Links?
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 5:26 pm

Wow... hope they go for a better production this time around... and maybe the songs are more stogges sounding this time!... The weirdness songs sounded so much better live! Smile
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 5:30 pm

Quote :
the weierdness songs sounded so much better live

i thought so too, yeh hpoe they get a better producer, or at least take heed of the next one, or do a stones, and produce it totally themselves

i hope they just do what they did back in the early days, just played whatever came out of their hands u'no, not give a shit waht ne one thought, as has been stated on the forum somewhere, iggy was trying to fit in, or i dunno trying to conform to something, just hope they do music like mindroom or something, or just totally crazy, each album so far has been completely different sounding - i just hope it keeps like that, totally outta the blue! lol thats the stooges
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 6:13 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
i thought so too, yeh hpoe they get a better producer,
The problem with The Weirdness was NOT!!! the producer. Steve Albini is a top-notch producer (just listen to his other works) who would have recorded The Stooges great. Albini is one of the best producers in the business, if not THE best.

It was the boneheads at Abbey Road who MASTERERED the album so poorly along with the current bent by major record companies to master music so LOUD as to compress all the nuances out of it.

I'm also convinced that Iggy's insistance that he use a Shure SM-58 microphone for his vocals caused his vocals to sound somewhat disconnected from the music. Albini typically uses high-end vintage mics (which is surely what he used for the music). An SM-58 is the classic live mic and does work well in the studio but, in combination with high-end mics, there is a noticable difference.

I'm all for them returning to Albini. Just keep it away from Abbey Road's crew.
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 6:21 pm

Chazz Avery wrote:
homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
i thought so too, yeh hpoe they get a better producer,
The problem with The Weirdness was NOT!!! the producer. Steve Albini is a top-notch producer (just listen to his other works) who would have recorded The Stooges great. Albini is one of the best producers in the business, if not THE best.

It was the boneheads at Abbey Road who MASTERERED the album so poorly along with the current bent by major record companies to master music so LOUD as to compress all the nuances out of it.

I'm all for them returning to Albini. Just keep it away from Abbey Road's crew.

Ah rite, thanks for the info Chazz, i always just assumed it was production (thats as far as my knowledge of music production goes - i dont even know what mastering is!) good to know then

though i do know what you mean when u talk about modern mastering just compressing the crap out of records and releasing them extremely loud, i hate that, im thinking of 'retrograding' or watever its called, to vinyl, the sound of mp3 is starting to grate on me too
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 6:59 pm

I believe that reason so many new albums are mastered so damn loud is apparently because the record companies insist they sound better on the radio that way.

But they end up sounding shitty everywhere else! All the top end is gone, clipped or wiped out entirely, the dynamics are lost completely and it all becomes one big mush of sound. Not music.

If albums were mastered properly we'd have all the sounds preserved properly - and if I wanted to play the album loud, then I'd just turn up the volume on my player.

I don't have anything clever or expensive to play my music on, but I am certain that older CDs generally sound SO much better than newer ones, because the older ones are not compressed to buggery in this insane quest for loudness. I rarely need to turn the volume up even to half way along the dial, so why is there this need to make everything louder? I mean really - who the fuck wants to hear stuff like Coldplay really loud anyway?

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 9:34 pm

I agree ! Albini Is a great producer (i loved the nirvana stuff)
I think the only thing he really screwed up on was the snare sound on the weirdness... but maybe a differtent studio could have prevented that... i dont like the set up of the studio they were in

cheers !
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 6:52 pm

adams66 wrote:
I am certain that older CDs generally sound SO much better than newer ones, because the older ones are not compressed to buggery in this insane quest for loudness.

reckon you're right there!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 2:42 pm

It's a thing called "noise war" look it up on Wikipedia, its interesting stuff, though it sounds like a big conspiracy Laughing. Anyway Seve Albani is a great producer and I was incredibly excited when I heard he was producing The Stooges as In Utero (by Nirvana) and Surfer Rosa (by the Pixies) are up there in my favourite albums list.

BUT it went wrong not because of Albani but because to be honest as well as the whole Abbey Road thing, Iggy was a fussy, little git. He wanted a commercial album so he got rid of great tracks like O Solo Mio and Claustrophobia which Albani wanted to keep, in favour of bland songs like Trollin' and ATM.

Saying all of that I still like The Weirdness a lot. It can't compare to the old Stooges stuff but it was never going to. They made a decent rock album in an age of crappy, scene stuff. Thats an accomplishment.

Anyway on the "noise war" thing here's a comparisson of the Search And Destroy mixes. It had nothing to do with the topic but it makes me laugh.

What Are The Odds... Search10
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Wow, that comparison of the 1990 and 1997 CD release is a real eye opener, i can only listen to raw power 97 when im pumped up enuff, lol, but i listen to the bowie one a lot more

thanks for the info G
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 pm

yes the Bowie one is a lot better
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 am

The only loud albums that are worth it are The Stooges - Raw Power and Oasis - What's the story, morning glory.
Damned good albums!

And yes. I really hope that they do it like they did it with funhouse. Iggy singing trough a loud speaker! I want a slightly distorted voice! YES YES!
And yes of course. I want the bass sound to be as warm on the cd as it is on the vinyl, just as Funhouse!
Back to top Go down
J.N

J.N

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:45 pm

the5thramone37 wrote:
that after the stooges are done touring this year, they produce a new album??!!! Anyone have any opinions on this?

Hope they dont do more albums, since the last one sucked big time and was infact the first Iggy/Stooges album that I never bougth.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUoTKokB3DQ10lxKmXL7WbA/videos?
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 9:34 pm

I'd be interested in a new album if they decided to go back to what they were doing in 68 and created an album of noise and jams with homemade instruments!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 12:27 am

mc wrote:
I'd be interested in a new album if they decided to go back to what they were doing in 68 and created an album of noise and jams with homemade instruments!

same, well just as long as thay take a i dont give a shit if you like this or not or "we dont hate you, we dont even care" attitude and just make watever comes out of their hands
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 6:12 pm

couldn't care less about their 'attitude', just as long as it sounds interesting. and with three of the original gang around, and a great addition in Watt, not to mention Mackay, they'll always be that.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 7:54 pm

same, altho their attitude cuonted for a lot in the creation of that sound, because a lot of bands and artists i think give up a lot of what they maybe intend to do to fit into a niche, or give it up because they become overtly selfconscious about their image or their sound, and its reception, and the stooges definitly had a i dont care what you think about this, we like it, attitude and i think it allowed them to be brave, amean can u imagine the kind of shit they got back in the day esp when they started, it mustve been terrible, art rock, but being so far away from new york they probly didnt find (m)any that understood it or cared

so i think the attitude is a barrier for one, but just allowed them to do exactly what they felt like, and it turned out to be some of the most influential music ever, and a template that most would strive for and never reach
Back to top Go down
jonreddy

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 3:55 am

That would be AWESOME!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Odds...   What Are The Odds... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Are The Odds...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Scene of the Crime. :: Reunion 2003 - 2008-
Jump to: