Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The wierdness and the thoughts about it.

Go down 
+22
stooges
jimmyo
IGGYDANZIG
damned
Chazz Avery
gabs
purrcafe
rubber legs
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
seventeen
ZenDog
Gimme some skin
Katy
elvis plebsley
MJG196
stdtheband
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
iggy-fan
steve_lobotomy
Ack Ack Ack
middleagedpunkrocker
Borntohula
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Empty
PostSubject: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 5:09 pm

Too sum it up for some, who doesn't got the taste of reading to much. I think the CD is good but a bit to silly sometimes(being a bit to much of a Twisted sister record) and I wonder what others think about the cd.

Due to the internets spread among people, I'm not gonna pretend that I'm the only one who downloaded a "certain" album(Which I'm bound to get on the realese -on CD)

My thought about the cd, other than the issue about downloading. It's good, but it still has major fillers. Here's why I think so and what I hope for the future -To come:

The rundown on the songs

Trollin'
Iggy talks in rhymes to a driving riff in the likes of early versions of Loose. The chorus is also an early indication that Iggy's voice lacks some energy on this album. Overall quite fine!

You can't have friends
The music in this one sounds like a teasing melody and the chorus "I wanna be your friend, to the bitter end" isn't as fun as it may have been meant as. For me, this track has a filler warning over it. It's not bad, but it's too easy to skip it.

ATM
A song that's set with good energy and riffs. The lyrics are quite fun the parts of the song are well placed and goes into each other in a good way. Good fun but the "The stooges fight's poverty in secret" and "Leaders of rock doesn't rock" aren't as good as the "In the midnight hour..." thing that follows. But' it's not a big shame.

My idea of fun
A good punch but who lacks some solos, the thing near end should have gotten more time instead of doing the chorus one last time.

The Wierdness
The whole song sounds drunk, but in quite a good way. A bit Bowie over it, mixed with the stooges. The chorus parts are all really cosy and the "Lalalala"thing is cute

Free and freaky
A piece that for me feels a bit MC5, a fun song who even almost pulls of two "Alabama, Dalai Lama, Baby Mama" alike verses and get's away with it.

Greedy Awful People
A 1969 kind of fun. Iggy slanders his neighborhood with a nice ending to it.

She took my money
Feels like a follow up to Trollin' with a Rolling Stones-kind of chorus to it. Too bad the saxophone is held back.

The end of christianity
Some what half assed attempt doing a Iggy Pop song. It's not to bad but it messes with the overall feel of the album. It's in the way.

Mexican Guy
Cool riff but I don't like that the bass is kept soo low in the mix. And the rhyme of "pill" and "dr phill" together with "crazy look in my eye" and "my girl ran of the with mexican guy" gives the song some - points. The fade out with Rons guitar is great.

Passing Cloud
A song I'v got quite a hard time putting my finger on. But overall it's good!

I'm fried
Sounds quite silly but got some bright moments, like the freerolling the sax and the guitar get's in the end!

Overall I think The stooges made it a bit silly instead of dumb. I read in some articles that they wanted "less uncertainies" but it ends up feeling a bit tame -Since you know they have the energy to pull off brutaly powered shit while playing live!
Also Iggys voice would have done well being heard through a speaker, like on Funhouse, with some better lyrics(A bit to many sounds like Iggy Pop songs on autopilot). Quite a lot of the singing is quite false too, and there's alot absence of roar in'it too.

But over all I like the cd. I'v tried putting it together with the s/t and Funhouse on shuffle on my ipod, and some songs gets along with the old goodies very well!
The feelings I get over listening is a mixture of all periods of Stooges. The talk'alike singing from the first one, some jazz from Funhouse, the Rolling Stone drive from Raw power, the cheer stupidity of the post raw power songs like Rich bitch and Cock in my pocket and the steps in other directions of the other new songs(Skull ring, Little E chairs and You better run 1-2) but lacking the energy required to make stuff lift(Cock in my pocket is one of the silliest things ever and still rocks, thanks to the energy)
I give the cd a solid 3. It's good, but placed side to side with Funhouse it's a monkey compared to God.
It's undoublty unfair to compare it, but since it's the stooges -you must!

What I hope the future holds for the Stooges is that play some of the new songs live, not all of them, and get's a really good bootleg/live album out, who gives the better songs of the album justice energy vice
For the album, I hope it get's torn to pieces by the press. Since people are starting to get into The Stooges and may feel a bit cheated over the album. The Stooges will then once again find themselves in disadvantage and get the energy required to make another album who's filled with energy and no holding backs!
They deserve one last real moment sunny

How about your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
middleagedpunkrocker

middleagedpunkrocker

Number of posts : 183

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 8:00 pm

I haven't heard it yet. I was waiting for it to be released. Now I'm slightly depressed because of all the Rock-n-Roll I own, "FUNHOUSE" is my favorite album of all time and I was looking forward to the new release to be of the same caliber.
Back to top Go down
http://trampsamericanbulldogs.com
Ack Ack Ack

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 8:08 pm

i think it's really good. it was never ever going to live up to the previous three records so if you listen to it with that in mind...

iggy's great on it and the instruments, particularly the drums sound fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Ack Ack Ack: Yes it's really good for being what it is, in fact -I like it better than the side B of Raw power.
By the way, I can't get a grip of Passing cloud. It doesn't sound stooges, but still it does Very Happy I hope it and Mexican guy replaces Skull ring and dead rock star when they play live. At least when they play in Borlänge Sweden Smile
Back to top Go down
steve_lobotomy

steve_lobotomy

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2007 2:01 am

I'm downloading it now as we speak. Of course I'm gonna buy it the day it's released
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thelobotomys
steve_lobotomy

steve_lobotomy

Number of posts : 11

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2007 2:45 am

I like it alot. Especially I'm Fried!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thelobotomys
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2007 1:28 pm

I think half of the album is more or less 4/5 and the rest of it 2-3/5.

This is the way I play the album Smile Mixed with the golden oldies, 6tracks from every album.

i wanna be your dog
Mexican Guy
T.V. Eye
Loose
Trollin'
no fun
The Weirdness
Down on the Street
Idea of Fun
ATM
not right
Dirt
Fun House
real cool time
Greedy Awful People
little doll

You should try to place the songs in this order. Down the street followed by Idea of fun is a instant win Smile
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 pm

Hi!
I haven´t found a download or a promodisc yet. But I found samples of every track:
http://www.juno.co.uk/products/256768-02.htm
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2007 9:21 pm

The album was released today, in the UK.
Im american - i'll be getting it tomorrow...
hopefully it sounds a bit better thanthe transcode version available for download.
Back to top Go down
stdtheband

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 8:57 am

I listened to the original 3 studio albums all week. Now I have The Weirdness. It is great. Albini did an amazing job with the production. I am very impressed.

Iggy sounds a tad tired in the throat which is hard for some, but adds a quality to my ears. The guitar tones are perfect. Bass pounds. They cover a Beatles/Stones song. Every song is a good in itself. Lyrics are silly at times, but that has always been Iggy's way. It is all cool. The Stooges are all about vibe and they vibe is amazingly accurate for a 30 year later follow up. Yeah, there is less acid in the music, but the playing is on a level way beyond what it was 30 years ago. I am loving it.

My favorite songs after the first 10 listens are:

"She Took My Money", "Trollin'", "My Idea Of Fun" and "I Wanna Be Your Man" (in that order).

http://www.myspace.com/stdthebanddotcom
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stereo-Transmitted-Disease/8547504
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2007 2:54 pm

stdtheband: Did you get the japan version of the album, with I wanna be your man?
Could you upload the song on some site or myspace? It would be fun getting hold of it.

I got The wierdness on cd today. The sound is much better than the mp3version that found it's way to the internet.
"Passing cloud" have had some growth as the guitar got more punch into it.
I still have my biggest moments with Trollin, ATM, My idea of fun, The wierdness, Greedy awful people and Mexican Guy but the other songs are sounding more and more solid in my ears.

Anyone else who hopes that they settle themselves in Jack Whites hands next time?
I think they'd pull of a fucking cannon if they did, you know. They we're a bit uncertain on themselves this time, the talk about not knowing if they overused solos and such(which was talking bull, there was all too little solos on it!)
As we all know the dog still can sit it should be able to bark as well, Jack White bashing it's balls would sure do the work Smile
Back to top Go down
stdtheband

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 2:26 am

I am loving ATM and Mexican Guy too. They are now part of my favorites list.
I got the Beatles cover from itunes. Great stuff.

I like Albini's production. I have already talked with him about doing my band's next album. I love his work. To me, Jack White is cool as an artist, but as far as production goes, I like Albini.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 2:43 am

Can you email me i wanna be your man ?
and o solo mio if you have it ?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2007 6:35 am

Isn't that song a Lennon/McCartney song written for the Rolling Stones, as opposed to a "Beatles" song? Clue me in!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
elvis plebsley

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-03-09

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 9:37 pm

well... I've only had a couple of listens so far, but I don't agree with the positive comments on the production, but then I'm not sure that I like anything that Albini's produced, so you can put that down to my DNA or something. Where's Ron? Rumbling in the background except for the solos and odd bits while the drums are way out front (no offense intended to Rock Action of course)... The weakest instrument on the thing is Iggy's voice. It's almost as if he doesn't know how to sing these songs, which wasn't the case with the older/skull ring material at Hammersmith Odeon. It's not a disaster by any means I like the musics, but it seems that so far I prefer the New New York Dolls to the New Stooges.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 9:48 pm

From what I have listened to, the new album didn't capture any of the energy the reunion gigs have shown us they are still capable of. I read somewhere that Ig's lyrics haven't been this bad since "Beat 'Em Up." Yikes.

As far as reunion records are concerned, the New York Dolls new album is friggin' fantastic! And Live? Fuhgettaboudit!!
Back to top Go down
elvis plebsley

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-03-09

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 9:55 pm

I promised myself that if there was a lyric sheet I was not going to read it, just in case... so the New York Dolls suck live?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2007 10:41 pm

elvis plebsley wrote:
I promised myself that if there was a lyric sheet I was not going to read it, just in case... so the New York Dolls suck live?

No way! I meant...FUHGETTABOUDIT! THEY ARE AWESOME! Syl and Steve Conte are a great duo.

I posted a torrent of their latest show in Washington DC on Dimeadozen (26 Nov 06). They were incredible.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 5:50 am

mg196 wrote:
From what I have listened to, the new album didn't capture any of the energy the reunion gigs have shown us they are still capable of. I read somewhere that Ig's lyrics haven't been this bad since "Beat 'Em Up." Yikes.

As far as reunion records are concerned, the New York Dolls new album is friggin' fantastic! And Live? Fuhgettaboudit!!

Hey, i happen to love beat em up, one of iggy's best albums yet... i know everyone else says ewww no way, i love it though.
Back to top Go down
Katy

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 10:34 am

I said ages ago it wouldn't matter to me if the new record was bad, because to me Iggy/The Stooges is still a LIVE thing. Seeing him/them play, being in front of them in the crowd, is what it's all about. A bad record has never stopped Iggy being worth seeing.

But I suppose I am a little sad that The Weirdness isn't better. I do like 'Mexican Guy', though. Hope that one makes it into their setlists sometime.
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm pretty happy with the album. Of course I'd been (silently) hoping for a classic that could easily stand next to Funhouse, but it's good that they didn't try to copy what they did 30years ago and just came with fresh, new songs.

The more I listen to it, the more I like it, which is a good sign, however there's one track I can't stand: Free and Freaky...it has some kind of Brian Adams feel to it to me. Skip and pretend it was never made Cool

My fav tracks would be Trollin', My Idea of Fun, Mexican Guy, I'm Fried and Greedy Awful People.

Has anyone heard the album Telluric Chaos? It's a registration of a gig in Tokyo in 2004. They play My Idea of Fun for the first time with Iggy just improvising on the verse pretty much and it sounds pretty great. Which bring me to the only real critisism I have on the album: the production could have been more raw and louder. Solid album however, on the level of some of my fav Iggy Pop solo albums like Skull Ring and Brick By Brick.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 7:29 pm

Gimme some skin: I get you on that. The weirdness has the same problem as Nirvana - In utero has. The bass doesn't sound like if it's there! Sad
Back to top Go down
stdtheband

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2007 11:32 pm

The Weirdness sounds great!!! TOTALLY DISAGREE!!

GOD BLESS STEVE ALBINI!

Although I do wish they spent a little more time exercising Iggy's vocal chords. The "I Don't Give A Fuck" singing thing is cool for a song, but I wish he spent more time getting into the vibe of the instruments. They guitars, bass and drums are so powerful and energetic, a lot of times they are over-powering Iggy's vocals. Lyrics don't bother me. Just some of the vocal performances.
Back to top Go down
ZenDog

ZenDog

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-03-11

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 7:23 am

My Idea Of Fun is my favorite track at the moment. Although I don't think "The Weirdness " is as good as the tracks on Skull Ring with the Asheton Brothers, it is still too soon yet for me to offer a critical review.

I didn't like " Beat Em Up " at first either, but it sounds great now..

http://zendogdotcom.suddenlaunch3.com/
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2007 2:37 pm

ZenDog: I hated Funhouse the first time I heard it, but nowdays it's the best thing ever.
I thought the weirdness was quite good the first time I heard it, and it has grown a bit. But I'm very dissapointed in the production Sad I want bass, and the mix won't give me that!

stdtheband: What about you getting the stooges songs that weren't on the album up for download? You'd save us all a lot of time Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The wierdness and the thoughts about it.   The wierdness and the thoughts about it. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The wierdness and the thoughts about it.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next