Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Peak freak

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Peak freak Empty
PostSubject: Peak freak   Peak freak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Boston & Philly, Sept 1969

The next stop of the tour was Boston, where the Stooges opened for Ten Years After during a three-night residency at the Tea Party club, Tuesday to Thursday, September 9th to 11th. “The boys were making fun of them, calling them Five Minutes Later,” Jimmy Silver recalls. “They were kind of annoyed that Ten Years After was getting hype and recognition because they could play speeded-up derivative blues tunes.” The Stooges confronted a crowd that had little interest in them, having come for the headline act. The audience responded with complete silence to each song. The only applause came from Natalie “Stoogeling” Schlossman, who had launched a Stooges fan club from her Philadelphia home.

Rock writer Eric Ehrmann caught up with the Stooges in Boston, interviewing the band and members of the audience for a piece that was published in Rolling Stone in April 1970. He reported that “Iggy incurs most of the injuries unknowingly, often scratching himself with the microphone or burning himself from swirling its long cord around his body, becoming bound up the way the Apaches used to torture the cavalry men.” Iggy explained that “the music drives me into a peak freak. I can’t feel any pain or realise what goes on around me. I’m just feeling the music and when I dive into a sea of people, it is the feeling of the music, the mood. Nobody ever knows how it’s going to end up.”

The Stooges proceeded to Philadelphia, where they opened two sets for Electric Flag, featuring Buddy Miles on drums and Mike Bloomfield on guitar, at the Electric Factory, Friday and Saturday, September 19th and 20th. Miles told the crowd, “OK, unlike some people, I can play music.” The Stooges wasted no time retaliating with a full-blown feedback freak-out while Ron yelled curses against the headliner into a microphone. “Buddy Miles’ idea of a show was to pretend to fall asleep on his drum kit during his drum solo, which brought cheers and applause from the audience,” Silver recalls. “The boys, of course, hooted with derisive laughter, bringing extreme bad vibes and enmity from the superstars, particularly Buddy Miles, who informed us along the lines that we were nobody, going nowhere.”
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Peak freak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peak freak   Peak freak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 9:49 pm

cool, thanks!!!
interesting what Iggy said about 'feeling the music'
haha...like what happened at Philadelphia!! 'full-blown feedback freak-out' - what could be better, especially as done by The Stooges!!!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Peak freak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peak freak   Peak freak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 10:37 pm

waow cool, these wouldve been great to see

thanks again Pernil!!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Peak freak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peak freak   Peak freak Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 10:59 pm

Think I'm gonna go burn a few Buddy Miles CDs!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Peak freak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peak freak   Peak freak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peak freak
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: