Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

STOOGES Albums TOP 5

Go down 
+27
dorianmode
elvis plebsley
Luzern
jpod
soldier
the science eel
Big Time Bum
nofun84
Paul T
TED
JW82
Loose1969
Lucas
Donald
pernil
Nadja
Borntohula
MJG196
sheddy
Muddslide
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
mc
Gimme some skin
Chemmy
Shakes
homesickjameswilliamson
G, F#, E
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 6:39 pm

For me The Stooges from 1968 to 1971/2003 to present and The Stooges from 1972 to 1974 were completly different bands. Actually on my iPod I have one listed as The Stooges and the other as Iggy And The Stooges. The sound is SO different.

If "The Weirdness" had been as good all the way through as the last 4 tracks on the vinyl version are I would have ranked it higher. But I listen to neither "Raw Power" or "The Stooges" as much as "Fun House". I love that album.

For the last 2 years (I know I'm a newbie) there hasn't been one day when I haven't listened to at least one of the tracks off of it. I even listen to "LA Blues" on its own sometimes Laughing In the middle of last year something happened though. I listened to "Down On The Street" and was a bit bored Shocked then I listened to it an hour later and I was back in love up with.

"Fun House" is the only album I've ever binged on, gotten fed up of and fallen back in love with on the same day. Not to mention it was the first Stooges record I listened to in its entirity, no other has ever equaled it. And to be honest I wouldn't want any other record to equal it, I wouldn't want it to become hugely popular on every radio station and loved by all. The way it is makes it all the more special for me because no one else I know gets it...actually more accuratly no one else I know feels it.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:04 pm

thats a great 'testimony' i guess you'd call it, this threads a great idea, good to hear different views, i always just assumed ppl liked funhouse the most

tho i'd have to disagree, you state that 678-71/2003 - present is a different sounding band to 72- 74, well i cant disagree with that obviously, lieterally they sound different

BUT

the greatest thing, and one of the things i love about iggy/stooges is that EVERY album sounds different to the last one, so as far as i can hear the band that created "the stooges" is different to the band that created "funhouse" and to the one who did 1971 stuff and again the one that did 1972 stuff and again the one that did raw power and again the one that did latter 1973 stuff and again (sorry lol) the one that did 1974 stuff

i love the variation in sound nad style, but under that there always seems to be this stooges music or like scott says "its just that stooge sound" u'no

i think raw power is a key element in their history as much as the stooges as much as fun house, u'no

again im not berating you for havin ur own taste, its just my opinion on it, i love raw power and fun house and stooges

also, i can never binge on an album, im weird that way, ive never been able to, on anything whether i love or ...like an album, lol

tho i agree with this statement wholeheartedly

Quote :
I wouldn't want it to become hugely popular on every radio station and loved by all. The way it is makes it all the more special for me because no one else I know gets it...actually more accuratly no one else I know feels it.
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:21 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
the greatest thing, and one of the things i love about iggy/stooges is that EVERY album sounds different to the last one, so as far as i can hear the band that created "the stooges" is different to the band that created "funhouse" and to the one who did 1971 stuff and again the one that did 1972 stuff and again the one that did raw power and again the one that did latter 1973 stuff and again (sorry lol) the one that did 1974 stuff

i love the variation in sound nad style, but under that there always seems to be this stooges music or like scott says "its just that stooge sound" u'no

This is even true for every album Iggy was involved. Iggy's solostuff and with the Stooges, no two albums are alike
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:26 pm

I love Raw Power !

But, I get more of a reaction when listening to the first 2 album's. ( The first album the most, especially because of the raw distorted guitar sound I LOVE !)

With the Weirdness It's a tie with Raw Power, so it could've gone either way. I of course heard Raw Power before weirdness(even though Im 16) I heard raw power when I was probley about 9.. ( heard the first album when I was about 8.. and heard funhouse when I was about 10.

The fact that Raw Power was mic'd and recorded very shitty dosen't help. (you don't get the true power)... its a very thin recording... and when Iggy tried to bass it up, and give it some botttom.. it just rumbles. It still could be 3 anytime... just decided to put it 4th !
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Quote :
This is even true for every album Iggy was involved. Iggy's solostuff and with the Stooges, no two albums are alike

exactly, thats why i love iggys music so much, i think maybe thats why he hasnt made it big cos he's so hard to pin down, same for the stooges i guess, maybe to a lesser extent as theres only three albums but even so i think ppl when they wanna get into a new band will obviously only buy one CD and as ive stated each are incredibly different to the last so maybe they go looking for that fastpaced one they heard on the radio (search) and buy the stooges as its the first, but get this slow melodic crazy wild music, i think theyre hard to pin down in a 'best of' for example
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:36 pm

Dont get me wrong I love "Raw Power" (which I've always assumed is the favourite) but I love "Fun House" a lot more. Put it this way, I would cover "Raw Power" songs with my band but I'd never cover anything off of "Fun House", I beleive its perfect, every note, sound and vocal. I wouldn't dare touch it.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:43 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Dont get me wrong I love "Raw Power" (which I've always assumed is the favourite) but I love "Fun House" a lot more. Put it this way, I would cover "Raw Power" songs with my band but I'd never cover anything off of "Fun House", I beleive its perfect, every note, sound and vocal. I wouldn't dare touch it.

oh yeh, amean dont get me wrong either lol i was just sayin how (apart from the mix/production/recording) its equal in my eyes...or ears

i agree with fun house reaching 'perfection' tho, in the same way u described vocals, iffs, guitr sound etc its one of the best albums ever
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 7:53 pm

It's funny although I put Raw Power number one, there are 2 or 3 tracks on it I don't really like, whereas I like everything on Stooges and Funhouse.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

mc wrote:
It's funny although I put Raw Power number one, there are 2 or 3 tracks on it I don't really like, whereas I like everything on Stooges and Funhouse.

sounds like someone hasnt thought it thru! lol

also WHAT? what songs dont u like? its a perfect album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:16 pm

mc wrote:
.....there are 2 or 3 tracks on it I don't really like, whereas I like everything on Stooges and Funhouse.
WOW mc can't believe what yr saying...which songs?
For me Raw Power album on nr. 1 means TOTALLY ALL SONGS 100%....THE BEST THERE IS!!!
maybe you need the Iggy mix to feel it Question Wink Exclamation Question

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 pm

There's 2 song's I don't care for on Raw Power = Shake appeal (it's only an Okay song.) and Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell(it's on okay as well.)
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:22 pm

WOW WOW WOW PEOPLE!!

lol

cant believe this, those are amazing songs, the albums perfect

good to hear some other views on the albums though!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:25 pm

OH no JLTS affraid
Shake Appeal is exactly > the song I would persist to take with me...
in heaven Wink
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:26 pm

ZinZin wrote:
OH no JLTS affraid
Shake Appeal is exactly > the song I would persist to take with me...
in heaven Wink

haha, well said zin lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:29 pm

let's be fair..you all must agree with that:

Raw Power is the ultimate punk record!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:33 pm

well i dunno about that, depends what u mean by punk i guess, but to me stooges are ostensibly undefinable, esp cos the genre-crossing, rock n roll, blues, jazz, jazz fusion etc etc u'no

so i dunno, even raw power which is the most 'straight forward' i guess of the bunch, its still undefinable
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:34 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
For me The Stooges from 1968 to 1971/2003 to present and The Stooges from 1972 to 1974 were completly different bands. Actually on my iPod I have one listed as The Stooges and the other as Iggy And The Stooges. The sound is SO different.

you're so right.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:35 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
There's 2 song's I don't care for on Raw Power = Shake appeal (it's only an Okay song.) and Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell(it's on okay as well.)

again, I agree with this.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:41 pm

[quote="homesickjameswilliamson"]wow cant believe that, raw power is as much stooges as it is funhouse or the debut, its that same groove, that fews bands can translate into different sounds, the stones can do it, they have/had the same thing, not in terms of sound, theirs is rock n roll, blues, well everything salsas, reggae, watever, stooges is more earthy and primal

i dunno, i think you're only getting well literally somethign like 4/5 or specifically 2/3rds of the stooges as a band and their sound, raw power is so full of emotion and rhythm and the guitar playin is amazing

hopefully its not just the mixes that put you off, tho they do suck, well i love iggys and bowies is decent, but they really should do somethin about that

quote]

hjw I've really listened to Raw Power a lot. A couple of songs, like I've just indicated, I didn't like all that much from the start, the others were great, I listened regularly. and I get what you're saying about the emotion etc, but as G says, the sound and the dynamics did change quite a lot after Funhouse, no wonder, with the change in the line-up. It might still have been the Stooges but a different kind. and the album as a whole hasn't made a LASTING impact on me, and it's nothing to do with mixes, it's just the tracks themselves.
there's other songs from that era that I like a lot better, 'open up and bleed', Pinpoint eyes' etc
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 8:48 pm

to be a bit more specific without provoking new discussions;
when i talk about music..i always talk about sound.
so punk is

guitars guitars guitars; nasty + painful
voice; nasty + painful
drums; over the top explosive fast (Scotty could work that a bit more Wink ) + primal
bass: as a drone!
overall : high energy - straight forward

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:20 pm

Make a fav Stooges bootleg thread Tongue
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:26 pm

G, F#, E wrote:

on my ipod, it has these too, but only because of the artist name on the albums. i do agree though that they were completely different bands; sound wise and deliverance too.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:38 pm

ZinZin wrote:
let's be fair..you all must agree with that:

Raw Power is the ultimate punk record!

No I'd disagree with that because I don't think The Stooges are a punk band...I think they're the best band of all time. For me "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" by the Dead Kennedys is the greatest punk album of all time.

Onto a different topic...

I don't dislike "Raw Power" far from it, I think it is far better than most bands entire discographys, I just think its not as good as "Fun House". I LOVE every track on "Fun House" (even "L.A. Blues") but on "Raw Power" there are two tracks I don't like as much. They are "Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell" and "Death Trip".

But on the other hand I feel that Iggy's lyrics are better on "Raw Power" than on the other Stooges albums. "Search And Destroy" and "Gimme Danger" are especially thought provoking for me. Even in songs I think are mediocre in comparrison to the rest of the album like "Death Trip" have fantastic lyrics and wordplay, "We're going down in history, we're going down, we're going down."

For me personally even for all its crazed sound I feel that "Fun House" is more violent, crazed and just plain scary. Which is why I love it. I've lent it to many of my friends most of whom have turned it off after the openening yelps of "Down On The Street" becaise its just so intense.

I think that is why The Stooges are better than all other bands they believe in every single word and sound they make that they don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks of them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:49 pm

G, F#, E wrote:

No I'd disagree with that because I don't think
The Stooges are a punk band...I think they're the best band of all
time. For me "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables" by the Dead Kennedys
is the greatest punk album of all time...
have to reply GFE..
Dead Kennedys are from the '80..ok '78 > Raw Power was released in '73 !!!!!! big difference.
Do agree that the The Stooges r not a punk band!
But they did release the first punksound....
and Raw Power is ultimate in this to my opinion.

Last edited by ZinZin on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 pm

So it seems a number of people (including myself) agree - Shake Appeal, Your Pretty Face and Death Trip are not quite up to scratch compared to the rest of the stuff on Raw Power. It's probably also why these tracks were never played live but all the rest except Penetration (excluding King Cross 72 when it may have been played) were (I love Penetration).

There's something just less melodic about those tracks. As I mentioned before if you had Head On, Johanna, Open up and Bleed in their stead it would withought a doubt be the most motherf***ing full on punk rock album of all time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STOOGES Albums TOP 5   STOOGES Albums TOP 5 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

STOOGES Albums TOP 5
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: