Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gear question: paging Pernil!

Go down 
+15
squarewave
studioguy
emanon
popmansam
tubepigeonvictim
StoogesForever69
Nitebob
jerrythebarman
dereksee
dorianmode
JW82
Nadja
G, F#, E
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Muddslide
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dereksee

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 4:52 pm

What about the Fender Mustang that is behind Ron in the Funhouse gatefold photo?

Also, to add to the trivia. In 1971, James played an SG briefly until he got the infamous Les Paul Custom. He traded a custom color white Jaguar (as seen in the Chosen Few photo) and a '68 ES-335 for the Les Paul. He did not own the Strat as seen on the back of Raw Power, but borrowed it as a backup.
Back to top Go down
http://dereksdaily45.blogspot.com
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks, yeah I wasn't sure if the strat was his or not, but I know that it was his to use at least Wink

Cheers
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 5:26 am

As for James, I was intrigued to note that in one of the portions of Ivan Kral's Academy of Music footage, he is playing a Firebird. I think it's the clip on the Blank Generation/Dancing Barefoot dvd.
Back to top Go down
Nitebob

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 6:58 am

That's my Firebird James played for a song at the Academy of Music show.

nitebob
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 7:39 am

Wow, cool, Nitebob, still got it ? It just really struck me right away because I'd never seen any shots of him playing one (love Firebirds, have one myself). Don't suppose you recall, was it a backup being used due to a broken string on his L.P. or something, or did he actually plan to use it on one particular tune ?
Back to top Go down
StoogesForever69

StoogesForever69

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 am

hey

does anyone know what pedals Ron and Dave Used During The Recording of The Debut Album ?

Thanks =]
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Dave used no pedals, Ron used a Vox Wah, and a Fuzz Face.There may have been a couple other various pedals, but these are the confirmed, main ones. (he may have used an EQ pedal)

The fuzz face it what you hear on his lead work, for that really distorted, nasty sound.
Back to top Go down
tubepigeonvictim

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 1:56 am

Nice info re gear here!

I've got a late 60's Jordan Bosstone somewhere - used to use that for playing Stooges stuff - just plain nasty!!!
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 2:13 am

Hes a really good bass player. However ,Ive always said that women make great bass players. Talking heads, pixies, runawys. I think its because they keep it simple,usually dont try to solo, back up the band. Practice!
Back to top Go down
emanon

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2009-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 11:02 am

dereksee wrote:
What about the Fender Mustang that is behind Ron in the Funhouse gatefold photo?

Also, to add to the trivia. In 1971, James played an SG briefly until he got the infamous Les Paul Custom. He traded a custom color white Jaguar (as seen in the Chosen Few photo) and a '68 ES-335 for the Les Paul. He did not own the Strat as seen on the back of Raw Power, but borrowed it as a backup.

The red one? Looks like a Strat to me. I think Ron owned as many as dozen different Strats during the first few years of the band.
Did James mention who or where exactly he traded for the Paul?
I am a native Detroiter & there's an Olympic White '65 Jaguar I've been trying to get my hands on for at least 15 yrs. (loooong story short--the batshit crazy heir/owner of a nearly defunct local music store has it, but I gave up trying to deal with him a few years ago. He'll give you a price, a really good price, you come back with the cash & then he doesn't even know what a Fender Jaguar is Show up unannounced w/ a wad of cash & stuff to trade & the only electric guitar in the building he says is a pink Galeveston Strat copy "made in a European country" for $100). Said shop was a Gibson dealer back in the day--If there's even a chance that it was James' maybe it's worth my trouble to deal with this clown again.
BTW Derek, nice job & all that, but what's the guitar your playing?
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 11:24 am

[quote="emanon"]
dereksee wrote:
but what's the guitar your playing?

That green guitar looked cool as hell, I also would like to know what that is
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
squarewave

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:43 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Dave used no pedals, Ron used a Vox Wah, and a Fuzz Face.There may have been a couple other various pedals, but these are the confirmed, main ones. (he may have used an EQ pedal)

The fuzz face it what you hear on his lead work, for that really distorted, nasty sound.

Pretty sure a mosrite fuzzrite was used. In some pics in the stooges book onstage you can see a Marshall superfuzz that is based on a vox tonebender.
Back to top Go down
squarewave

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 2:47 am

oh yeah and James used Vox AC30's in the studio and marshall live.
Back to top Go down
blackout88

blackout88

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 3:22 am

Theres also a picture of James at the kings cross '72 show playing a strat.
Back to top Go down
http://unwantedfriends.blogspot.com/
andy70

andy70

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2011 7:10 am

My two cents on Ron's Les Paul... it seems it wasn't a Gibson Les Paul, but a clone guitar. The original instrument has been in possession of the punk legend Jeff Dahl since the late Seventies (or something like that). He posted a picture of the guitar on his Facebook profile and added a brief description going like this:

"70's Hoyer 5060 Custom Les Paul - This axe used to belong to Ron Asheton towards the end of the Stooges & into the New Order... it was also used on the 1st two Angry Samoans albums and it's pictured on the cover of my Vomit Wet Kiss LP. It's actually wired for stereo (2 outputs!) and weighs about 10 pounds. Heavy stuff. I use this mainly for slide guitar and it's got more than a little magic in it."

Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Lp11

Anyone has more info?

a.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blackmilkmag.com
Hubbard

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 10, 2017 8:54 pm

andy70 wrote:
My two cents on Ron's Les Paul... it seems it wasn't a Gibson Les Paul, but a clone guitar. The original instrument has been in possession of the punk legend Jeff Dahl since the late Seventies (or something like that). He posted a picture of the guitar on his Facebook profile and added a brief description going like this:

"70's Hoyer 5060 Custom Les Paul - This axe used to belong to Ron Asheton towards the end of the Stooges & into the New Order... it was also used on the 1st two Angry Samoans albums and it's pictured on the cover of my Vomit Wet Kiss LP. It's actually wired for stereo (2 outputs!) and weighs about 10 pounds. Heavy stuff. I use this mainly for slide guitar and it's got more than a little magic in it."

Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Lp11

Anyone has more info?

a.

Resurrecting this old thread as I now own this Hoyer 5060. If anyone has any additional info, stories, and especially photos please share. The amazing lineage aside (Jeff Dahl - Gregg Turner - Ron Asheton)... this is a great playing guitar! Maybe it's just my imagination but you can feel the ju-ju almost instantly.

Back to top Go down
White_Eagle

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2018 2:40 pm

On the Raw Power album R.F. Asheton played a Fender Jazz Bass neck bolted on a precision Bass body with one (P. bass) pickup. This bass was formerly played by Dave Alexander.Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Stooge10
Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Ronsba10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gear question: paging Pernil!   Gear question: paging Pernil! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gear question: paging Pernil!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2