Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?

Go down 
+6
james matlock
Loose1969
adams66
Nadja
homesickjameswilliamson
sweet_sixteen
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

"I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Empty
PostSubject: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 7:45 pm

With similar subject matter and phrases it seems to me like Iggy possibly based his song on the Rolling Stones one. I know a few other Iggy-penned songs have similar blues influence so perhaps this was in the same vain. Here are both songs' lyrics to compare:

I'm Free (1965)

Im free to do what I want any old time
Im free to do what I want any old time
So love me hold me love me hold me
Im free any old time to get what I want

Im free to sing my song knowing its out of trend
Im free to sing my song knowing its out of trend
cause Im free any old time to get what I want

Im free to choose who I see any old time
Im free to bring who I choose any old time
Love me hold me love me hold me

I Got A Right (1972)

Anytime i want i got a right to move
No matter what they say
Anytime i want i got a right to move
No matter what they say

I got a right, I got a right to move
Anytime I want, anytime
I got a right, I got a right to move
Anytime I want

Anytime I want I got a right to sing
No matter what they say
Anytime I want I got a right to sing
No matter what they say

I got a right, I got a right to sing
Anytime I want
I got a right, I got a right to sing
Anytime I want
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Yah...remarkable and funny!
Really looks the same...in a way.
But definitely a totally different sort of song.

i don't see it as that particular; the stealing and changing of forms/ideas
lot of brilliant ones did that.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:39 am

um, interesting theory, and you might have something, but i doubt it considering the difference in the song styles, as zin says, good theory tho

and you're probly right, but i think this came from iggys heart and soul when he was writing it

altho ppl naturally tend to replicate whats around them, consciously or subconsciously, and iggy loves that period stones, so its possible the idea came to while listenin or something
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:25 am

interesting thought sweet-sixteen Smile I agree, similar elements in the conception of both songs
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 1:47 pm

I've long thought this about "I'm Free" and "I Got A Right".

From The Complete Iggy Pop -

"I Got A Right" is basically a powerful and very straightforward statement of intent – ‘Any time I want I got a right to move, anyway I want…’ There’s a large Rolling Stones influence – on their 1969 tour of the USA the Stones reintroduced “I’m Free” into their set, and as huge Stones fans, all the Stooges attended their Detroit gig on 24th November 1969. As “I’m Free” begins with the gentle rallying cry of ‘I’m free, to do what I what I want, any old time’ it’s easy to see the starting point for Iggy’s lyrics. But whereas Jagger’s vocals are casually sung in his trademark mid-Atlantic stoned drawl, Iggy’s delivery is so fierce, so angrily mad that it becomes a huge ‘Fuck You’ to just about anyone who would dare to listen.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 2:53 pm

cool, Richard! thanks! Always a pleasure to read something well-expressed and well-judged on this forum.

Last edited by Nadja on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 4:05 pm

yeh, great synopsis richard!

i love i got a right, one of the most charged songs ever written, as you say, a big FUCK YOU to just about anyone!

i loved the remastered versions i think it was on godfathers of LA punk, along with gimme some skin, or on that im sick of you EP thing, theyre so amazing, its like raw power 1997 power kinda thing, always gets me pumped
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Richard - just how much were the Stooges influenced by the Stones, would you say? apart from the obvious fact that the Stones influenced just about everyone, at that time, in a general sense

well, maybe I just answered my own question

Last edited by Nadja on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 10:23 pm

Two fantastic classics there. I love 'em both.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
james matlock

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:28 pm

A lot has been written on early (1964?) Stones influence on the Detroit rock sound in general. Bands like MC5 cut their teeth playing in cover bands playing in battles of the bands and teen dances covering much of this material. Black American music covered by Brit covered by American kids.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm pretty sure "The Chosen Few" (the band that James, Ron and possibly Dave started out in) covered Rolling Stones songs.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:33 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
I'm pretty sure "The Chosen Few" (the band that James, Ron and possibly Dave started out in) covered Rolling Stones songs.

Dave wasn't in The Chosen Few, he was in The Dirty Shames, the first band ... I mean just the garage band with the Ashetons, just playing at home and stuff. Was James in The Chosen Few? don't think he was either?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Ok maybe I'm getting confused. I'm pretty sure James was in The Chosen Few but I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:24 pm

actually I don't really know about James,I can never remember when exactly Ron et al are first supposed to have met him...but yeh...come to think of it it was early on...so you're probably right that it was in The Chosen Few
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:32 pm

ron and james were in the chosen few, and in the dirty shames, no? im not too sure on this either, in fact i completely forgot about the dirty shames - think that was ron and someone else, maybe dave
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:35 pm

If I remember correctly, the Dirty Shames were Ron, Scott, Dave and Bill Cheatham...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Angusyd van Hyman wrote:
If I remember correctly, the Dirty Shames were Ron, Scott, Dave and Bill Cheatham...

yeah. Even Kathy Asheton maybe.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Quote :

sounds about right, yeh, knew scott was in one of the bands

Quote :
Even Kathy Asheton maybe.

yeh? ive never heard that, did she play anything (disregard this if that was a joke, lol)
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:26 pm

it wasn't a joke (why would it be) I just read somewhere that she did the vocals, I can't remember where I read it, so it likely wasn't from a very authoritative source. It was a pretty lengthy online bio of both Iggy and The Stooges tho, as I remember
James was definitely not in The Dirty Shames anyway.

Last edited by Nadja on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Quote :
I just read somewhere that she did the vocals,

wow cool, damn i wish theyd made some tapes or something, suppose the technology wasnt as readily available to just anyone as it is now, like garageband on mac

i hadnt heard that, maybe it was please kill me and i didnt remember, would be cool tho, i wonder why kathy didnt have a greater impact on stooges music - or did she?
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 9:27 am

I think I've read abiout Kathy being in the Dirty Shames in a bio on a spanish website, don't know if it was from another source.

http://whiplash.net/materias/iggypop/000585-iggypop.html
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 11:59 am

right again Angusyd Smile that's where it was!
not that it was easy to read it in Spanish OR in Google translation...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 12:06 pm

[quote="homesickjameswilliamson"]
Quote :
Ikathy didnt have a greater impact on stooges music - or did she?

apart from being the supposed originator of the phrase, 'TV Eye'...don't know
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 4:44 pm

Quote :

apart from being the supposed originator of the phrase, 'TV Eye'...dont know

yeh, though i dont know about that either, i remember reading that in please kill me i think, but i read somewhere else that the source was from the CBS news station the stooges watched, and Eye on the TV, a TV Eye, always lookin at you,like a big brother kinda thing, which sounds better than twat vibe eye, haha
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 6:38 pm

adams66 wrote:
There’s a large Rolling Stones influence – on their 1969 tour of the USA the Stones reintroduced “I’m Free” into their set, and as huge Stones fans, all the Stooges attended their Detroit gig on 24th November 1969.

That's great, I've just remembered I've got a bootleg of that gig. I must play it again and listen out for the boys clapping Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?   "I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"I'm Free" by Rolling Stones = I Got A Right?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next