Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Oboe on Fun House

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Does anyone know if Steve Mackay played oboe on any songs? If you listen to Take 3 of "Fun House" it sounds more like an oboe than a sax at the end of the song. I vaguely remember reading that Steve also plays oboe, but I might have dreamt it.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 pm

I also wonder about the sound of the sax on one of those takes. Didn't think it sounded too much like an oboe tho...but then I didn't know Steve played the oboe. I'll go back and listen again.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:21 am

I'm no expert. I'm basing my guess of an oboe on listening to Roxy Music. Their saxophonist, Andy Mackay (no relation!) used to switch from sax to oboe a lot, and that's what the sound on Take 3 reminds me of.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 11:44 am

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the first topic about Steve Mackay!

I'm not sure of the answer but you can always message him on myspace and ask him. I asked him if he was still going to be in the Stooges playing the Sax about a month ago and he replied and said it was up too Iggy to decide.

Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 5:41 pm

heavy liquid wrote:
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is the first topic about Steve Mackay!

I'm not sure of the answer but you can always message him on myspace and ask him. I asked him if he was still going to be in the Stooges playing the Sax about a month ago and he replied and said it was up too Iggy to decide.
Hmmmm...not sure if the sax is really meant for the Raw Power era songs. Your thoughts, everyone?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 6:29 pm

is this really the first topic on Steve?
makes a nice change then Smile
if he is playing oboe that's cool.
Back to top Go down

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 7:16 pm

yeah that would be cool indeed.

think it's a good idea Heavy to ask Steve at myspace,
you gonna do this or shall i?
I asked him the same question you asked about the new stooges set up. got the same answer
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 4:49 am

Loose1969 wrote:
heavy liquid wrote:

Hmmmm...not sure if the sax is really meant for the Raw Power era songs. Your thoughts, everyone?

Well there is no sax on the original I Wanna Be Your Dog, but Steve played it on the song at the reunion shows.

I hope he is still in the band!

Nadja

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 am

heavy liquid wrote:
[
I hope he is still in the band!

Same here!
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 6:54 am

heavy liquid wrote:

Do you have to open a myspace account to contact an artist, or can it be done without an account?
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 am

I sent an email to Steve Mackay and will report back on what I find out.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 2:52 am

I heard back from Steve Mackay and he reports that it was not an oboe on the Funhouse sessions. The "other" instrument you hear is a soprano sax.
Should put this issue to rest.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 pm

thanks for that information.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 3:24 am

larry fine wrote:
I heard back from Steve Mackay and he reports that it was not an oboe on the Funhouse sessions. The "other" instrument you hear is a soprano sax.
Should put this issue to rest.

Thanks for contacting Steve. My curiosity is now satisfied after a long time wondering about that sound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oboe on Fun House Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oboe on Fun House   Oboe on Fun House Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oboe on Fun House
Page 1 of 1