Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks Empty
PostSubject: Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks   Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Just been having a bit of a session with my Raw Power era CDs.

Here's some favorite versions of tracks:

She Creatures of Hollywood Hills - Live Whisky 16/9/73
Open Up and Bleed - Live Whisky 16/9/73
Johanna - CBS Demo (Rubber Legs CD)
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks   Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:26 pm

From a sonic perspective, the CBS demos trump ALL of the 73/74 live stuff. The power of the band - especially James who seems to be holding things together - really comes through, and Iggy is just wailing. Maybe the presence of Dave Alexander in the studio kicked things up a notch.

The CBS versions haven't yet reached final form though, so I'd have to say that, lyrically & compositionally at least, the live Whiskey versions of 'Bleed' are the best.

My favourite live versions of the Raw Power LP songs are the July/August '73 Max's shows (one of which is on the Heavy Liquid box). You can barely hear Iggy, but the band is super-tight.

The best versions of 'Cock in My Pocket' & 'Rich Bitch' are obviously on the Metallic KO. The general aura of hostility and despair overcomes any shortcomings in sound quality. (Fucking Pro Tools will NEVER capture this kind of vibe).

My favourite 'I Need Somebody' is the (shorter) version recorded 3/73 at the SRC Studios and included in the Heavy Liquid box.

Favourite 'Wet My Bed' is the 12/31/73 Academy of Music version.
Back to top Go down

Best Live/Demo Versions of 73/74 tracks
Page 1 of 1